The General Videogame Thread

+
2edgy4me. but seriously, just doesn't look very compelling. seems like a gta or postal that takes itself seriously. and lets face it, those games are tedious and boring enough, can't imagine how bad they would be without the humor or wackiness.

2edgy4me. but seriously, just doesn't look very compelling. seems like a gta or postal that takes itself seriously. and lets face it, those games are tedious and boring enough, can't imagine how bad they would be without the humor or wackiness.

john, I must know.What games -do- you like? And why?

The vehicle combat looks nice if it actually turns out like that. Combat looks Arkham-ish but then again WB is involved. I'll moderate my expectations and then wait for reviews - should be quite fun that way hehe, at worst maybe a guilty pleasure. Releasing long after TW3 but at least a month before Hearts of Stone, so the timing's perfect too.

Also I realized one of the cars you can build is actually called:

View attachment 13318

Attachments

• Mad Max Wild Hunt.jpg
    Mad Max Wild Hunt.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
john, I must know.What games -do- you like? And why?

those games haven't been made yet. they're in the works though.kingdome come deliverance and ground branch. i used to play the ancestors of these games, such as swat 3 and mount and blade.

i like qualities of realism, immersion, verisimilitude, coherent art design, stories that contain the aforementioned qualities, and game mechanics that simulate reality.

those games haven't been made yet. they're in the works though.kingdome come deliverance and ground branch. i used to play the ancestors of these games, such as swat 3 and mount and blade.

i like qualities of realism, immersion, verisimilitude, coherent art design, stories that contain the aforementioned qualities, and game mechanics that simulate reality.

SWAT was pretty good back in the day. Did you not like the early Rainbow 6's? Quite snappy and intense. I have pals who've done CQC training and found R6 pretty on.

ARMA seems pretty real as well.

You realise Witcher 3 is going to be lacking in realism and, arguably, immersion, at least as far as immersion lets you see through the characters eyes. Differentiated from "engagement", where the game is so good at drawing you in you lose track of time, space and yourself. I expect W3 will be highly engaging, but I don't think I will ever see through Geralt's eyes into the world he's living in.

Did you like STALKER?

It's really nice that you like those kind of games. I too love realistic settings very much and I am also very eager to play Kingdom Come but you shouldn't imply that they are inherently superior to less realistic kinds of games. Realism =/= quality.

The Mad Max trailer looked interesting. It looks similar to Shadows Of Mordor, but with cars, and Strongholds instead of the Nemesis system. That pre-order DLC though. :thumbdown:

Releasing long after TW3 but at least a month before Hearts of Stone, so the timing's perfect too.
For me, the timing is all wrong. It releases two weeks before MGSV: The Phantom Pain :p Maybe I will pick this when up when it goes on sale in December.

Mad Max looks pretty neat but I feel like it's going to bomb in terms of sales because it literally comes out on the same day as Metal Gear Solid V, easily the most hyped game of this year.

The Mad Max trailer looked interesting. It looks similar to Shadows Of Mordor, but with cars, and Strongholds instead of the Nemesis system. That pre-order DLC though. :thumbdown:
It's not that bad, could be a lot worse. For example MKX pre-order DLC where a playable character was cut out from the game and you had to pay/pre-order to be able to play as him.

Last edited:
Was pretty stoked for the new Fire Emblem coming in June...........but of course that's just the Japense version, and an RPG where I can't read the story is pretty useless. Silly Glaroug forgetting the system.

But there's something very bizarre gong on here. They are giving it the Pokemon treatment, so its"two" new games coming out, Fire Emblem White and Black basically :p

So I've just finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. The explosions are still ringing in my ears. This is one of the best expandalones in recent years. This is not a halfassed DLC, this is a proper GAME with new stuff that you can get for only 20 dollars. For 20 dollars you get 10-12 hours of constant action, lots of approaches to combat, lots of secrets (They even have the "A secret has been found" message), new weapons and gameplay and a lot of varied environments.

The game is structured into two parts "Rudi Jager and the Den of Wolves" and "The Secrets of Helga von Schabbs". Both are expertly paced and I never felt like my time was wasted. Both ended when they were supposed to. They were neither too long nor too short. There's the nostalgic Castle Wolfenstein, and in the second part a medieval German town that is full of nazi zombies.

If you like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, last year's The New Order and classic shooters this is a must-have, especially at this price. This puts The ORder 1866 and Call of Duty to shame.

I made a short video of practicing some knockdowns and throws in the Exanima arena and figured I'd share it. There's also a rather hilarious moment that occurs at 1:20 into the video if you pay close attention to my opponent's weapon ;).

Physics-based combat is just so good!

Last edited:
I can see what they mean about "procedurally generated combat." It looks cool. It just looks like it might be a little difficult to control. As long as it lets me play as a knight with a two-hand sword I'll be happy.

How do the controls work? Do you move with WASD and click and drag the mouse in the direction you want to swing?

Last edited:
I can see what they mean about "procedurally generated combat." It looks cool. It just looks like it might be a little difficult to control. As long as it lets me play as a knight with a two-hand sword I'll be happy.

How do the controls work? Do you move with WASD and click and drag the mouse in the direction you want to swing?

Yeah, it does take a while to get used to the control scheme. The controls are actually fairly simple but what takes new players a while to get used to is that WASD movement keys do control movement but it's character relative and not screen relative. The reason they did it this way is because this allows a full 360 degrees of movement as opposed to just 8 directions that screen relative movement restricts you to. Pressing the 'A' key is always going to make your character strafe to the left (counterclockwise) and pressing 'D' will always make your character strafe to their right (clockwise). This allows way more precise and accurate character control.

The mouse cursor in the game is used to rotate your character; you will always attempt to face the cursor. You will perform a right-to-left swing if your cursor is the right of your character and a left-to-right swing if the cursor is located to the left of your character, which is very intuitive. The cursor allows you to wind-up your attacks to increase the momentum of the attack and add more impact by rotating your character while swinging. It also allows you to position yourself correctly to parry and intercept incoming blows. You will only be able to parry if your weapon/shield (if equipped) is positioned to allow it since parries work in a realistic fashion: you must actually intercept the opponent's weapon with your own or your shield. There are realistic collisions and armor only protects what part of the body it is actually covering.

And yes, you can also use a two-handed sword and many, many other types of weapons. Each weapon behaves differently based upon its size, shape, weight, balance and the condition it is in (a well balanced and sharp sword will perform better than a poorly balanced and dull sword). Here's a short video of me showing some basic two-handed sword techniques:

Last edited:
thanks @freakie1one. This looks like the one game where playing a fighter is exciting.

Very much so. This game has the most advanced and engaging combat that I've ever seen in a game before. It's very addicting since every fight is unique thanks to how dynamic the system is. It actually requires using tactics and strategy to defeat an opponent. I've spent about 300 hours in the arena and close to 200 hours in the main campaign (arena was released first).

I wonder what's up with that GMG deal. The thread has been closed and I wonder if it all isn't just some massive misunderstanding on the part of CDPR. You know... confusing GMG for G2A. Never heard any bad stuff about GMG and they are not a key re-seller or anything like that.

Then again... 35% discount on such a hotly anticipated game, two weeks before it comes out. Who knows... maybe GMG made a deal with Namco and not with Reds when it came to distribution. One side didn't inform the other and so on.

I guess we will learn tomorrow, eh.

Top Bottom