The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It also looked like an improved version of witcher 2, that along with their untarnished rep made it extremely believable. I mean, I didn't once for a second think that that was some fake marketing crap.. that thought didn't cross my mind once. It worked though since I pre-ordered it like instantly after that trailer.

Just meh.... I just liked that gritty style it had before as well a lot. It's just... depressing.

Ah, don't be depressed. Mods will probably let us re-light it to grittier.

Their rep is faaar from untarnished.

I heard the same when Witcher 2 came out. You remember that horrible shadow-thatching? Yeah, and the ATI card issues with AA? That they didn't fix for-ever? I crashed like a billion times.

Then, too, CDPR rep was "forever destroyed" or somesuch.

It's not. You know what that rep is -really- built on, after all the marketing BS? Great games, little to no DRM and a willingness to put both racism and sex on your screen and not back down.

That's it. That's what people buy their games for. Sure, there are other things, but those are the ones that make them great and keep them popular and successful.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade/page118?p=1565980#post1565980

Which image were you talking about when you said "I tell you what. If, when the game comes out, I can't render W3 in some stupidly high resolution with beautiful imagery akin to that image out there"

HellifIknow. i'll have to find it again when I go to set the shot up. Some image I pulled off the net. Full points for finding my post, though, I was going to have to dig through a crap ton of stuff to do that.

I very much look forward to this game but I do not like the fact the graphics took a dive in quality. I literally bought a second 980 to ensure good performance at 1440p but I don't think it matters any more. Regardless I will be enjoying TW3 come the 19th.

But it was a TRAILER. Don't trust them. Not because of "false advertising" but because either a) they are CGI or b) they are designed to look as good as possible.

Marcin Momont directly said that people CAN trust the trailer. And said trailer has a "IN GAME FOOTAGE" at the beginning in bold whites. If someone feels disappointed and lied to they have every right to feel that way.

A lot of people love this company. That company deserved and worked hard for that love in every witch way. Hence a lot of people will feel the need to defend it to death using not very strong arguments, frankly. I get that. I was like that not long ago. But here is the problem with this kind of mindset.

I honestly think that some of the members here love CDPR more than the Witcher. The lack of constructive criticism resulting from this mindset potentialy harmed the game in ways a can't begin to imagine (in the very first downgrade thread, people claiming that the visuals don't match earlier footage were openly ridiculed, even by a MOD at one point, and even by the infamous NA community manager) Just a tiny bit of scepticism from the community can go a long way to help this company get back on the course many of us feel they strayed too far from.

I don't even know what to say.
I wanted to post that I had to change my diapers because of the unadulterated joy this trailer gave me.
I watched alot of previews/read alot of articles from the event in Poland and the majority of them were amazed
by the way it all (visuals, audio, storytelling) comes together to create a believable world.
TW2 had some similar discussions and I almost got influenced by them but
by the time I stepped into Flotsam forest during a rainy night it was all washed away.
I am not the person to play a game frame by frame, i like to have it running on 60fps.
Just like TW3 seems to reach "critical mass" in its exposure and hype the forum seems to reach "critical toxicity" levels.
Nowadays it seems everyone is an graphics expert and a management expert as well,
claiming to know each and every line of code or decision that has been made at CDPR.
I am way more sad that a forum that once celebrated a game as a whole and tried to be constructive in their feedback
has now degraded into a mudfight, sparked into a frenzy by the "usual suspects" of the internet.
I myself for example still consider STALKER one of the best looking and immersive FPS made in a long time,
dwarfing anything that has been put out on the frostbite engine for example.
Not because of polycounts or lightning tech or facial animations but because of the grand vision behind it.
The sum of its parts.
So now I am gonna rewatch the trailer, change my diapers again and forget all about this thread.

I really don't like how they keep cutting stuff, like the blood and whatnot.... shouldn't they tell us important things like that before the game releases when we're wondering why there isn't any blood on the water or whatever else is missing?

I don't feel like the deception ended with the vgx trailer... i feel like my nose has been on a hook for quite some time now. You don't show stuff off THAT cool just to cut it out and not even make a statement about it.

I don't feel like the deception ended with the vgx trailer... i feel like my nose has been on a hook for quite some time now.
Let me ask you something. Even if your nose has, as you say, "been on a hook for quite some time," what exactly have you lost? At the end of the day, you were going to get the product they ended up making anyways, regardless of whether you were excited for it not.

HellifIknow. i'll have to find it again when I go to set the shot up. Some image I pulled off the net. Full points for finding my post, though, I was going to have to dig through a crap ton of stuff to do that.

A page back in that thread this is what you posted off the net

View attachment 13638

Though when I get the game I'm more interested in replicating this shot

View attachment 13639

Attachments

• WGd9NZNRhb.jpg
    WGd9NZNRhb.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1371178394-each-village-in-skellige-varies-in-population-and-architecture-offering-a-new-experie.jpg
    1371178394-each-village-in-skellige-varies-in-population-and-architecture-offering-a-new-experie.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 54
Let me ask you something. Even if your nose has, as you say, "been on a hook for quite some time," what exactly have you lost? At the end of the day, you were going to get the product they ended up making anyways, regardless of whether you were excited for it not.

Speak for yourself, as I never stated as much. After I found out about this blood stuff I'm actively considering canceling my order. You could say I'm teetering on the edge at this point. I'm angry enough to not want to give them money on my pc-gaming principles alone.

I don't think a lot of people really understand how much hate this has generated from the pc crowd, especially when they keep gutting it and not telling us what they're removing. I keep my posts as civil as I can.

I don't think a lot of people really understand how much hate this has generated from the pc crowd, especially when they keep gutting it and not telling us what they're removing.
While you're at it, please boy-cott all automobile companies for all the features they cut from the finished product because they're not cost-efficient. That should go right along with your "principles."

Speak for yourself, as I never stated as much.
Actually you did...
i feel like my nose has been on a hook for quite some time now.

You could say I'm teetering on the edge at this point.
Would it help you IF I GAVE YOU A BIG HUG? BECAUSE I'M NAUGHTY. I'M A NUGHTY NAUGHTY PONY.

BAD PHINN.

@Sardukhar :p :p :p Took you a minute

Last edited:
Just a tiny bit of scepticism from the community can go a long way to help this company get back on the course many of us feel they strayed too far from.

I must be bored as fuck, I'm still in here.

Okay, Marcin is pretty cool. He thinks I'm nuts, but other than that, cool. THEREFOR, it was a live trailer. At the time. As far as he knew. See how many layers there are already? STILL don't trust trailers! What, this is basic consumer advice I'm giving you here.

Even non-CGI trailers are advertisements. They are! As such, they are designed to replicate optimum conditions on optimum equipment and not worry about framerates.

When you have a $5000 computer running a $1000 monitor AND they engine they used to make that trailer and STILL cannot replicate it, then, yeah, that sounds liek they made shit up. We don't have those things! We -don't- even have the game yet!

Still don't trust trailers. Like, ever. Movies, tv shows, video games, basically any advertising. Even from CDPR.

As for constructive criticism, that's really hard to get in pagesand pages and PAGES of angry posting with words like betrayed, lied to, backstabbed, downgraded, console this or that...where is the constructive part? What are you going to say that the engineers aren't aware of as soon as the first person posts the comparison between the VGX and that horrible reddish shot? I mean, everything after that was redundant.

Criticism has not only not been lacking, it's been frothingly, droolingly, red-eyededly apparent. Message. Received. However, that criticism has also been clumsy, lacking in data, and polluted by prejudice against platforms, control schemes and viewing distances.

I do like CDPR more than the Witcher. Of course! One produces the other! Perspective.

Our community manage isn't infamous - he's famous. Famous for his warm, loving embrace. Hugs for all!

Lastly, "many in the community" is, probably, about thirty? Tops? Who post their anger all over? And say another...120 that don't? That is many...but compared to the many who avoid these threads like the plague they are, still a teensy minority. CDPR hasn't strayed from anywhere they didn't already plan to go. Probably.

A page back in that thread this is what you posted off the net

View attachment 13638

Though when I get the game I'm more interested in replicating this shot

View attachment 13639

Oooh! Both excellent. I'd like to try to replicate both, now. Without using filters, of course. Probably too easy then. I'm thinking 4K, of course, Ultra everything and...morning and dusk?

@Shelledfade I'm beginning to think you misunderstood the point of my post. Respond to this part, instead of responding to the last word in my paragraph, "excitement."

Let me ask you something. Even if your nose has, as you say, "been on a hook for quite some time," what exactly have you lost? At the end of the day, you were going to get the product they ended up making anyways.

@Shelledfade I'm beginning to think you misunderstood the point of my post. Respond to this part, instead of responding to the last word in my paragraph, "excitement."

I already did.

[Sard Edit: He didn't, because we edited it, since you responded to the already edited...ohmigod this is complicated! PLAY NICER PEOPLE I"M LOSING MY MIND HERE.]

Last edited by a moderator:
And with that, I'm outta here because I have nothing positive left to say.

Thank Cheeses. Now, EVERYONE ELSE WHO HAS ALREADY SAID THEIR PIECE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE PLEASE FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE.

Thus cutting down massively on the re-re-re angry posting and leaving room to discuss visuals...

CONSTRUCTIVELY.

Last edited:
No sard, I did post what I thought of it, that he should speak for himself regarding getting the game and playing it. He's attempting to troll bait me, but unfortunately for him I do not bite that easily as I like to keep things civil.

And we both already know, this guy doesn't want to do that. You can remove this post if you want, its irrelevant.

Last edited:
No sard, I did post what I thought of it, that he should speak for himself regarding getting the game and playing it. He's attempting to troll bait me, but unfortunately for him I do not bite that easily as I like to keep things civil.

And we both already know, this guy doesn't want to do that. You can remove this post if you want, its irrelevant.

Well, it's off topic, so we should FEAR REPTILE, but it's also civil.

And civil is good.

Civil and friendly is better. Even - especially - to people who are trying to bait you.

Now, I implore, even CHALLENGE, anyone else posting here to, instead of complaining fruitlessly some more about the downgrade, ( I didn't even put it in quotes. Partly because I remain on the fence. I think. I've said so much...anyway), let us discuss other visual aspects.

Like, presuming we can -get- those visuals that Dino dug up, are they time of day linked? Is Ubersampling involved? Optional sharpening filters? What say you all?

Ooh. Should we try for that and set a minumum framerate? I mean,I'd -love- to have those, and if I could have them at..hmm average 25 fps I'd be okay.

30 I'd be okay-er.

40 I'd be happy.

This is at 4K, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom