The Witcher III PC Retail Version needs Internet to start the game?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

wazaa

Forum veteran
"The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature."

It means: the ones provided to reviewers

Its where you download a small bit which is needed to start the game for the first time. As far as i know it is a 1 time download that is used to counter leaks from early copies ^_^

Can you play the game with that disc, in a bunker with no internet, 30 years from now? No? Then it's DRM or a form of DRM. Semantics

Yea, it's true, but not in the way you're saying it.
The first batch of PC copies printed will be essentially pre-load files on disc like the GOG pre-load is.
When you install it, it will download that last file needed like the normal pre-loads will on release.
The reason they did this is because the actual game doesn't have DRM. If they didn't, the game would be up on torrents by now since no crack group has to do anything.
I don't like it either but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils.
It's good to point out that the internet is only required to download the remaining files.
It doesn't require the internet to start the game once it's installed. It's completely DRM free from that point.

Yea, it's true, but not in the way you're saying it.
The first batch of PC copies printed will be essentially pre-load files on disc like GOG one is.
When you install it, it will download that last file needed like the normal pre-loads will on release.
The reason they did this is because the actual game doesn't have DRM. If they didn't, the game would be up on torrents by now since no crack group has to do anything.
I don't like it either but I suppose it's the lesser of two evils.
It's good to point out that the internet is only required to download the remaining files.
It doesn't require the internet to start the game once it's installed. It's completely DRM free from that point.

It's not the lesser of two evils, if you buy one of those retail copies you are screwed if you wanted a DRM free game. "Oh but it's not DRM!", well DRM-like, it doesn't matter.

Cancel your pre-order, wait 6 months and buy a second manufacture disk, or digital, drm free.
You'll need the patches and DLC/Expansion packs which only come online anyway, so this seems like a load of flap for the sake of it... and as already said it has no DRM on the distribution at all once unlocked, so you can back-up, store on the cloud etc to your heart's content.

It's not the lesser of two evils, if you buy one of those retail copies you are screwed if you wanted a DRM free game. "Oh but it's not DRM!", well DRM-like, it doesn't matter.

Then don't buy a retail copy at release...
It's only for the first batch of copies to prevent leaks.
If they hadn't done it, you'd be complaining just the same, but in a thread about how the game has been spoiled for you by somebody on the internet since anybody could download it and post spoilers.
So yes, it is the lesser of two evils.
Either have some unhappy people about the fact it needs to download a file with first batch copies.
Or have 10 times more that with no leak protection when the game inevitably gets leaked over a week early where anybody could download it and spoil it.

It is just as bad to me, so I am giving my opinion and spreading whatever the heck I want.

It's easy to hide behind semantics like that. When I buy a DRM-Free game, I expect being able to use it as I please after legally acquiring the disc.

Then don't buy a retail copy at release...
It's only for the first batch of copies to prevent leaks.
If they hadn't done it, you'd be complaining just the same, but in a thread about how the game has been spoiled for you by somebody on the internet since anybody could download it and post spoilers.
So yes, it is the lesser of two evils.
Either have some unhappy people about the fact it needs to download a file with first batch copies.
Or have 10 times more that with no leak protection when the game inevitably gets leaked over a week early where anybody could download it and spoil it.

They didn't announce that when I pre-ordered my copy, not really my fault. I already cancelled my physical pre-order FYI. I'll keep the GOG pre-order because I want to support the last game I'll ever buy from CDPR.

And nice thinking that you know me enough to say what I would complain about, mind switching places with my psychologist?

Last edited:
Moderator: Your right to spread your opinion is limited on this forum by the rules and the decisions of the moderators. You have been told by more than one member why it is not DRM. You have been told not to spread FUD.

It is just as bad to me, so I am giving my opinion and spreading whatever the heck I want.

It's easy to hide behind semantics like that. When I buy a DRM-Free game, I expect being able to use it as I please after legally acquiring the disc.

Too bad. Cancel your preorder or get over it, those are your choices.

The PC retail version of the witcher 3 is a piece of shit product that needs to connect to the internet every single time you install the fucking thing. Cutting off the offline gamers. I don't know why CDPR wasted there time with this piece of shit product. They could have just canceled this piece of shit product. Only catering to the online gamers, why fucking bother with this retail PC shit product.

Devaluing and releasing a broken fucking product is not good. No matter what the fucking excuse is for this piece of shit product, devaluing, releasing a broken product, cutting people off from the product, is not good. It's fucking bad, disrespectful to retail consumers, and CDPR should be ashamed for this piece of shit product they released into retail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom