The Witcher 2 Recap? (No spoilers please)

+
The Witcher 2 Recap? (No spoilers please)

Well the game coming out in a few days, and i wanted a quick recap of the witcher 2 with no spoilers for the rest of the story, i played the witcher 2 years ago, so i wanted some quick recap (i forgot almost all the story so don't laugh at my stupid questions :) ),

(NOTE: Dont read this topic for those who did not play the witcher 2 it contains spoilers.)

Again Please no spoilers for the witcher 3 from the books, just the Witcher 2 story line:

if you can answer those questions it will help me alot and will make the witcher 3 story much better.

1) whats with the amnesia garelt had?
2) did garelt fight the war if so why and which side did he chose and why?
3) the war was with nilfgaard and northen kingdom? why there was a war?
4) who won the war?
5) who is king foltest, and who is the king you get to play in chapter 2 or 3 (cant remember, the one with the beared).
6) at the start of the witcher 2 you have a cutscene, where garelt is running in the forest, half naked and he pass out, is this the part of him running from the wild hunt, or running after they thought he killed king foltest ? (if so how did he became half naked?)
7) I cant remember why letho tried to assassin all those kings.

ok and now a big question, only for those who read the books, In the witcher 3 you get to choose to help nilfgaard or betray them and help yourself, did garelt help them or betrayed them IN THE BOOKS!, now please please please answer plainly if he did help them or not. PLEASE NO SPOILERS if you can answer as
1) yes he helped them or
2) no he helped himself.

8)oh and a side question, at the witcher 1 i think, the story is that garelt was attacked by a mob of peasants and some one stabbed him with a pitchfork, why did those people mobbed garelt, and why yennfer helped garelt, and one last thing why didn't garelt went back after he healed to kill the peasant for stabbed him ?

Thank you very much for your help guys.

Last edited:
"1) whats with the amnesia garelt had?
4) who won the war?
5) who is king foltest, and who is the king you get to play in chapter 2 or 3 (cant remember, the one with the beared).
6) at the start of the witcher 2 you have a cutscene, where garelt is running in the forest, half naked and he pass out, is this the part of him running from the wild hunt, or running after they thought he killed king foltest ? (if so how did he became half naked?)

ok and now a big question, only for those who read the books, In the witcher 3 you get to choose to help nilfgaard or betray them and help yourself, did garelt help them or betrayed them IN THE BOOKS!, now please please please answer plainly if he did help them or not. PLEASE NO SPOILERS if you can answer as
1) yes he helped them or
2) no he helped himself. "

1: Geralt received amnesia after his contact with the Wild Hunt. We see the aftermath in the dream sequence in TW2 and in the beginning of The Witcher (game).
2: No he did not fight. He stays neutral.
3:The reason for the war....hmmm. It's always about Nilfgaard trying to conquer the Northern Kingdoms. I'm not exactly sure why Emyr var Emreis wants the north. Maybe because he was tired of others looking for Ciri in his stead...
4: Who won? The aftermath of the latest war that we see at the end of TW2 is in TW3. It's a spoiler, then.
5:King Foltes WAS the ruler of Temeria, Soddon, Mahakam, Bruge....yeah. He had other areas under his thumb as well. It seems like he was a very liked/popular ruler of Temeria. Personally, I was sad to see him die.
King Henselt of Kaedwen was the Bearded king you were asking about.

6:He was escaping the Wild Hunt.
7:He was kind of forced into trying to kill the northern rulers to stew up chaos and weaken the north in preparation of the Nilfgaardian invasion of The Northern Kingdoms

About Geralt helping them or himself: He only cared about his friends. He wasn't present in the wars with Nilfgaard.

MUCH better

Last edited:
...You say you don't want spoilers, yet the questions demand spoilers.

No. I'll not say anything about the story. I'll not say anything about the Wild Hunt/Red Riders.
I'll not say anything about his amnesia.

Please. Go do some playing on your own.

man if you dont want to answer its ok just dont, i played the game years ago as i said, you dont have to help me. but if you want you can PM me personally thanks anyway..

...You say you don't want spoilers, yet the questions demand spoilers.

No. I'll not say anything about the story. I'll not say anything about the Wild Hunt/Red Riders.
I'll not say anything about his amnesia.

Please. Go do some playing on your own.
Instead of being so rude and saying I won't say anything, you know you could just not say anything by not posting.
And he meant no spoilers for Witcher 3.

@kingeliran The books don't contain spoilers for Witcher 3 as Witcher games are adaptation, they are a continuation of the stories in books. Also, there are many good recaps of Witcher 2 story on youtube and one of the mods here had a good written summary of the plot. Will try to find it.

Last edited:
thanks but most of my questions are about the Witcher 2 if some one is kind enough to remind me that will be great

@kingeliran: Witcher books have nothing to do with the story of Witcher 3..the first game takes place 5 years after the end of the 7th book. It's also an adaptation and not technically canon..the games is the story continued how CDPR imagined with Sapkowski's blessing with their own "canon".

So the only canon thing about the story that you can get spoiled on is the backstory of Geralt, Yennfer, Ciri and many other characters that will appear in Witcher 3 and is recommended for you to watch them to get a huge immersion boost. But that's the past and doesn't usually affect the game besides on finding out how the characters got there. Trust me..it changes your view on the world completely once you know what those characters did in the past, how they are linked to each other and so on.

That is why so many Witcher fans (myself included) recommend everyone who is looking forward for Witcher 3 to read the books as a priority (even more than playing the previous games). You can watch retrospectives (Elder Geek has a very in depth videos on both games)..and use a saved game import to Witcher 3 (because you won't finish witcher 2 in 4 days..except only if you play it for 8+ hours per day).

I'm going to try to answer your questions but I will put a spoiler tag. I will try to be as unspoilery as possible:

1. Geralt has amnesia because that's what happens when you meet the Wild Hunt
2. Geralt didn't fight in the war (the war mentioned is the Battle at Brenna)
3. There was a war because that's what usually happens when a side (Nilfgaard) wants to conquer more land.
4. The Northern realms won.
5. King Foltest was the king of Temeria (the one in Act 2 & 3 is King Henselt which is the ruler of Kaedwen).
6. That part is actualy the beginning of Act 1 (it's the same flashback)..he is running away from the Wild Hunt. The scene of him opening his eyes implies that it was a dream/flashback
7. Letho tried to assassinate the kings because he wanted to soften it for Nilfgaard's invasion

Nilfgaard is considered "bad" although this can vary between each person..think of Nilfgaard like a dictatorship where 1 man rules over everyone (emperor) and whoever defies him or breaks the law/rules dies.

Last edited:
@kingeliran: Witcher books have nothing to do with the story of Witcher 3..the first game takes place 5 years after the end of the 7th book. It's also an adaptation and not technically canon..the games is the story continued how CDPR imagined with Sapkowski's blessing with their own "canon".

So the only canon thing about the story that you can get spoiled on is the backstory of Geralt, Yennfer, Ciri and many other characters that will appear in Witcher 3 and is recommended for you to watch them to get a huge immersion boost. But that's the past and doesn't usually affect the game besides on finding out how the characters got there. Trust me..it changes your view on the world completely once you know what those characters did in the past, how they are linked to each other and so on.

That is why so many Witcher fans (myself included) recommend everyone who is looking forward for Witcher 3 to read the books as a priority (even more than playing the previous games). You can watch retrospectives (Elder Geek has a very in depth videos on both games)..and use a saved game import to Witcher 3 (because you won't finish witcher 2 in 4 days..except only if you play it for 8+ hours per day).

oh so you saying all of the witcher games have nothing to do with the books?
if so i still wanted to know about the witcher storyline questions i posted thanks.

Well, they do. The Witcher games take place AFTER the books.

yeah the history of the characters and the and the world stayed from the books but the rest is Pure CD Projekt red story?

DarkHollow thank alot for your help, but why did garelt helped king foltest attacking the castle?

Last edited:
yeah the history of the characters and the and the world stayed from the books but the rest is Pure CD Projekt red story?

Like I said in my post..the games ADAPT the books (the backstory of the characters are canon). The story itself takes place 5 years after the events of the books and is created by CDPR.

ok i checked everything you Helped ALLOT thanks for the help im now more ready for the witcher 3 again thanks.

ok i checked everything you Helped ALLOT thanks for the help im now more ready for the witcher 3 again thanks.

Sure, no problem.
(after I got my head on straight)

---------- Updated at 02:46 AM ----------

DarkHollow thank alot for your help, but why did garelt helped king foltest attacking the castle?

Why did he help Foltest in the attack of La Valette Castle?

Well Foltest had a disagreement with his mistress, so he went and took Geralt with him as a "Good Luck Charm" so to speak. Foltest wanted his illegitimate children...he hasn't married, he has no other heirs to the Temerian throne and his older daughter Adda is either dead or married off to Radovid at the end of the first Withcer Game.

I believe you can build up on the reasons for that Siege now, right? And why Foltest took Geralt with him.
Geralt was "ordered" by the king to keep him alive, protect him. But Geralt was tired of this and asked Foltest to let him go.

Geralt had other important things to do after the end of The Witcher (game).

Last edited:
Well the game coming out in a few days, and i wanted a quick recap of the witcher 2 with no spoilers for the rest of the story, i played the witcher 2 years ago, so i wanted some quick recap (i forgot almost all the story so don't laugh at my stupid questions :) ),

I've done a recap (spoiler-free for books and everything else) here:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...1-Witcher-2-Story-(WARNING-NON-STOP-SPOILERS)

Most of your questions aren't actually from TW2, so to take them individually:
1) whats with the amnesia garelt had?

It's apparently a side-effect of escaping or being released by the Wild Hunt

Not sure which war you mean, but I suspect you mean the one that is in progress at the start of TW3? It started only at the end of TW2, and we have no knowledge. He probably didn't take sides.

4) who won the war?

Again, unsure of which war you mean. If it's the war going on in the background of TW3, this wasn't part of the TW2 plot. The previous war between North and Nilfgaard was won by the North. Nilfgaard is expansionist.

Foltest is the king of Temeria. The king you play in chapter 2 for a while is Henselt, the king of Kaedwen.

Running from the Wild Hunt. It's a dream/flashback.

He was working for Nilfgaard. The intention was to disrupt the North and weaken them before Nilfgaard invaded.

at the witcher 1 i think, the story is that garelt was attacked by a mob of peasants and some one stabbed him with a pitchfork, why did those people mobbed garelt, and why yennfer helped garelt, and one last thing why didn't garelt went back after he healed to kill the peasant for stabbed him ?

The pitchfork was in the books, not the game. Geralt had amnesia, and by the time he remembered the "death" (at the beginning of TW2) he had better things to do.

Top Bottom