which stories shouuld I read?

+
which stories shouuld I read?

I got the ebooks for uh- the last wish and the elves one..

I read the story about the striga, but the one after i found too boring to finish. I am mostly interested in stuff I don't know from the games- ie. who is yennifer, who is ciri...

I'm reading 'a question of price' atm..

anyone have advice? I want to learn about vennifer and ciri for sure

isnt sword of destiny not translated from polish yet?

I was asking more like- specifiic short stories rather than the books. I don't have time to read like 7 books in 2 days :p

---------- Updated at 11:21 PM ----------

Read no stories and play the games first.

no. the games do not explain who yennifer, ciri, etc. are, and tw3 is all about a quest for my loved ones. so I want to read the stories which explain why I love them.

isnt sword of destiny not translated from polish yet?

I was asking more like- specifiic short stories rather than the books. I don't have time to read like 7 books in 2 days :p

---------- Updated at 11:21 PM ----------

no. the games do not explain who yennifer, ciri, etc. are, and tw3 is all about a quest for my loved ones. so I want to read the stories which explain why I love them.

The games have writing on par or better than anything I've read of Sapkowski given the absolute crap translations. I'd take the games any day, personally.

I would suggest reading the translated sword of destiny or you will be confused at the start of the 3rd novel

The games have writing on par or better than anything I've read of Sapkowski given the absolute crap translations. I'd take the game any day, personally.

I wouldn't argue that even if i disagreed- but it is besides the point. the games lack information which the books do not. (ie. I do not know who yennifer or ciri are from the games, other than by name and passby references) and if you read reviews, people will say that tw3 doesn't even give you context on ciri until like 75% through the game

The games have writing on par or better than anything I've read of Sapkowski given the absolute crap translations. I'd take the games any day, personally.

Again you speak out of ignorance... the games ADAPT the stories..so the backstory of Ciri, Yennefer, Geralt and the other characters IS CANON and yes you SHOULD read the books before starting Witcher 3 so you have more information on Geralt's Relationship with Yennefer, to have a preconceived notion what Ciri went through during her past and childhood and characters that will show up in Witcher 3 (Djikstra, Emperor etc).

@algroshaw: Don't listen to him..the fan translations are good (unless you're a grammar nazi..theres a few typos here and there).

Again you speak out of ignorance... the games ADAPT the stories..so the backstory of Ciri, Yennefer, Geralt and the other characters IS CANON and yes you SHOULD read the books before starting Witcher 3 so you have more information on Geralt's Relationship with Yennefer, to have a preconceived notion what Ciri went through during her past and childhood and characters that will show up in Witcher 3 (Djikstra, Emperor etc).

@algroshaw: Don't listen to him..the fan translations are good enough (unless you're a grammar nazi).

While I agree that reading the books is indeed worth it and it does enrich your game experience, the devs have said that you don't need to have played past games or read the books to get into W3.

I bet there will be a ton of exposition for each important character so I wouldn't worry too much.

@algroshaw : Don't listen to him..the fan translations are good (unless you're a grammar nazi..theres a few typos here and there).

can you please then recoomend which short stories to read

reading the last wish out of the last wish short story is probably the most important in that book since it deals with geralts first encounter with yennefer the other stories don't really need to be read but are still pretty great

it really comes down to preference. there are those who want to only experience the witcher games as a trilogy on their own and discovering the witcher's universe through it, and those who'd rather read the books first, beleiving it'll enhance their experience.
in my case, i never got chance to read the books before. sure i heard about them, but never got a chance to read them. but after playing the first 2 games and managing to get the first 4 books, i started reading them. and honestly, i don't regret it one bit. in fact, they're some of the best books i ever read and they got me hyped even more for TW3. the witcher games always felt like reading a book to me, especially when you take it nice and slow. and the books are exactly like, except that you have your imagination doing some sort of movie, that is not only a fantastic and deep experience on its own, but perfectly bridges the first two games and the third game.

anyways, that's my 2 cents ^^

Atleast the german translation of the books is very good. Not sure why everybody is bashing the translation so much.

But yes as many stated:
1.) The Last Wish
2.) Sword of Destiny

After that the saga:
3.) Blood of Elves
4.) Time of Contempt
5.) Baptism of Fire
6.) Tower of the Swallow
7.) Lady of the Lake

The books you should definitly read are the first two! They lay the foundation for most of the things to come and introduce every important character. They are also a great read and very well written :) They are also not too long. So you can finish them before the game launches if you are a quick reader.

Last edited:
reading the books myself. the current dialogues in witcher 1 and 2 are simply not complete. even with the updated journals from reading all the in-game books do not give enough information for me.

If you are only wanting to read the bare minimum to get a feel for who these characters are, then simply read the final story in 'the last wish', as that is how Geralt and yen meet, and read three stories that I believe are all from sword of destiny, the one that starts with Geralt being paid to attend a feast in Cintra, and dress up as a nobleman, the one where he is in Brokilon woods and stumbles across some dead humans with arrows in them, and the final story, which is a little all over the place, but definitely worth it for the ending. All 3 are Ciri related so don't skip any ;)

After those 4 short stories, once you're addicted, there are bits in the first half of blood elf elves that will allow you to recognise aspects of the story, but as far as I've seen in the trailers those bits basically play out as they did in the books anyway, the books just give you some more background on it (which, personally I think is worth having, blood of elves isn't a long book...)

Of course if you're properly addicted you should go back and read the other short stories, there are some gems in there ;)

Atleast the german translation of the books is very good. Not sure why everybody is bashing the translation so much.

But yes as many stated:
1.) The Last Wish
2.) Sword of Destiny

After that the saga:
3.) Blood of Elves
4.) Time of Contempt
5.) Baptism of Fire
6.) Tower of the Swallow
7.) Lady of the Lake

The books you should definitly read are the first two! They lay the foundation for most of the things to come and introduce every important character. They are also a great read and very well written :) They are also not too long. So you can finish them before the game launches if you are a quick reader.

agreed. however, i suggest reading the main 5 novels mentionned by @The_Blog since they are linked to the games, especially the third one.

Last edited:
A Grain of Truth is my favourite of the short stories, though it isn't important in the over arching storyline.
A Matter of Price introduces you to the situation with Ciri but not her herself.
Last Wish introduces Yennefer.
Those are the most important stories in the first book.

A Grain of Truth is my favourite of the short stories, though it isn't important in the over arching storyline.
A Matter of Price introduces you to the situation with Ciri but not her herself.
Last Wish introduces Yennefer.
Those are the most important stories in the first book.
don't forget the one with the striga. it introduced foltest and explained his background and his history with geralt. ^^

Top Bottom