"You cannot save right now" (Game breaker bug)

+
"You cannot save right now" (Game breaker bug)

I am playing on XboxOne and two times it has happend that the check point or auto save does not work.
First time i lost 2 hours that I had to replay.

When I try to manually save I get the message "You cannot save right now"
I first I though I could not save bacuse I was in the middel of a quest line, finished the quest line but could still not save, thought I needed to be in town to save, traveled to town, but still the same "You cannot save right now" message.
Continued with a side quest and finished that too and was then attacked and killed.
After dying when I try to load the latest save it just keept loading forever.

Had to go out to Xbox menu and end Witcher 3 and reload it.
When starting the game again I just get stuck on starting screen with the "loading" message.

If I hard start the Xbox I can the get into the game but the last two houres of playing are gone.

I have a feeling that the saving error is related to shutting of the Xbox in standby mode since it seems to be working when I hard reset it but it needs more testing.

I had the same damn problem man. Thankfully I only lost 45 minuts compared to your 2 hours but let's be real. That is unacceptable.

i had the same problem and i lost my game data i was lvl 9 and went back to lvl 5 becuase game wont let me save and then i crashes then it happened again i was lvl 11 and now am back to lvl 5 again also the game stucks on the main screen it only says loading

Hard reset of the Xbox works for me to get the game working again after gettin gstuck on main screen but saves are lost.

I dont think I had recovered going down from level 9 to level 5 two times.
Feel so sorry for you.

the first time i reset my xbox so that i can play again but i lost my saves so i dont want to restart it again so wont lose any data am waiting for them to do an update or so that they fix this problem these are all programming coding error ( run time bugs )

I'm having the same problem with my game! Can't save, and Checkpoints and Autosaves not updating.... This is a very serious bug....

Not sure if this helps anybody, but I found that trying to save too quickly, for example when still in the animation of getting up after meditating, or too quickly after ending a dialog with an NPC, will cause it to give the "not able to save right now" message.

Not sure if this helps anybody, but I found that trying to save too quickly, for example when still in the animation of getting up after meditating, or too quickly after ending a dialog with an NPC, will cause it to give the "not able to save right now" message.

Thanks, but I tried many times and it didn't work even standing still or anything. Also, the Autosave and Checkpoints stopped saving/updating. Had to quit the game and reset. When I tried loding without reseting the console it would not load....

This is absolutely absurd... I just lost several hours of gameplay and levels. I'm extremely disappointed that the development team could ever allow such a simple bug to make it into the release. So if I'm understanding this right, if your Xbox powers off in ANY way other than a full hardpower off, you can't save the game AND it disables the autosave in addition to not letting you back into the game. I guess that's what I get for going with some off the wall studio that hasn't had a hit in over a decade. I'm furious and I think compensation should be granted for those of us who got robbed by this crap!

Just happened to me. Lost hours & hours. FUCK

---------- Updated at 12:28 AM ----------

Same here. I wrote to the company. Unacceptable. This is a serious glitch. I'm so upset right now

This has happened to me, as well. Nothing as infuriating as going from a level 5 (which took ages!) back to a level 2. :/I assume there is a patch coming for this ASAP, because this seems to be a total game breaker of a bug. Is the only workaround to save every 5 minutes and then do a hard reset of my xbox when I shut it off?

Well I encountered the same issue, lost the entire days worth of gameplay. Funny thing is that I had a different game-breaking bug this morning where I could no longer load any data or move past the title screen. Manually restart and powering off did not help and I was forced to delete all save game data. I'm a little past peeved at this point. It's unacceptable that QA, developers and publishers get away with this stuff all of the time.

Yep, just wanted to report the same thing happened to me. Not quite as bad as some people on here (think I maybe lost an hour). For me, it was not letting me save, and then crashed for an unrelated, equally mysterious reason. Really disappointing that CDPR is still releasing games with with this kind of mickey mouse technical bullshit to deal with, since judging from the rest of the game (which, don't get me wrong, is awesome) they've really come a long way otherwise.

The only time this happened to me was when I was in the middle of a quest and had to use my witcher senses. After I finished that part of the mission I was able to save fine. Could be wrong but maybe you guys were in the middle of a script heavy mission moment and not aware of it?

Same thing happened to me last night. Last manual save was just before 7pm, last auto before 8pm was just after 11 by the time I noticed this (I too thought maybe it was because I was in the middle of a quest or too near enemies etc). I also think the cause may have something to do with turning the Xbox off whilst the game is open in the dash. Really hope this gets patched soon as I really love this game but it's so disheartening to lose hours worth of progress. I was also of the mind to just keep the game open in the dash until and update comes but when it does its gonna force close the game resulting in losing your progress anyway. Think I'm gonna just take the hit and always make sure to close it down properly until it's patched.

Exact same problem here, bugfix update has to be online ASAP. I guess there is some kind of lock file generated in cache to prevent from saving (when encountering an enemy for example) that is not properly removed.
Didn't find any solution so far except hard reset and losing previous progression :(

This too has happened to me and I have not been able to get back into the game for hours! I have tried a hard reset. I have put in other games, played them for 5 mins, then switched back to try the witcher. It first started with the unable to save problem. I assumed it was because I had to fast travel to the next zone for the main line. So I went ahead and completed that. Still no save possibility. I shrugged it off and moved on anyway. Eventually my controller died, and I was mounted on roach and was still traveling forward. Quickly tried to find the charging cable. But by the time I found it I had been killed by a higher leveled beast (with a skull). So I tried to reload last save. Not only was the last save an hour ago, it wouldn't even load. Tried to get back in game, but was stuck loading on the main screen.

This issue needs to be fixed ASAP. It is highly effecting game play and is potentially making want to take my entire collectors edition back seeing the statue was dodge too.

I also noticed this problem last night and like many of you thought it was because I was middle of quest and just continue on. My hunch was this has to be a bug and now I can confirm that it is. I played for about an hour when I got then game did a manual save and held down the xbox button my controller to shut down my xbox1. Come home start the game up play for about 2 hours went to save and got the error. Please fix this bug!!

Top Bottom