A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
for somes ppl that want to save somes framerate ( because in that game vegetation is an insane performance eater )

you can open the user.settings file found in c:/user/yourname/documents/witcher 3 and change the value "GrassDensity=" in ultra, if i'am not wrong the value is around 2400. I dropped it to 1000 ( or more if you really want ). Sure you will have far less grass on the ground ( and even less than with the "low density setting" ) but it doesnt impact too much the visual and save you quite a lot resources.

It saved me like 10-15fps in somes place, and i could increase the vegetation distance to high without issue. I have more fps like that than with vegetation density "low" and vegetation distance "medium" ( because yeah... vegetation distance "low" its really too bad looking.. >< )

Hey guys,

Just disabled the uber sampling on the ini and got 9 more FPS on the cut scenes.

I also tried to enable the 60 fps on cutscenes, but didn't do anything for me at least. Regarding Detail slider, I've been changing it and thus far I didn't found any differences between High and ultra (Same goes for the Texture slider, I think that somehow the slider is broken when you switch it to Ultra)

Also I've noticed that the FPS right at the start of the game is NOT THE REAL FPS you have once you get out of the tutorial, just went back in to play after a clean driver install and changes on NVIDIA CP and i got 10 more fps outside of the tutorial.

Besides what we're doing here, there isn't anything much we can do.. Just make sure you got the right stuff going over on your NVIDIA CP Panel (rely more on those than in game cuz the V-Sync is broken at 60 fps during my tests)

That's great, can you please give some more detailed instructions on how to disable "uber sampling" from the .ini? :D

Regarding the "Texture Quality" slider, the "Ultra" setting only increases the video memory cache available to texture streaming in order to reduce texture pop-in when moving (especially on horseback). Visually, it is the exact same as "Texture Quality" on "High". ;)

for somes ppl that want to save somes framerate ( because in that game vegetation is an insane performance eater )

you can open the user.settings file found in c:/user/yourname/documents/witcher 3 and change the value "GrassDensity=" in ultra, if i'am not wrong the value is around 2400. I dropped it to 1000 ( or more if you really want ). Sure you will have far less grass on the ground ( and even less than with the "low density setting" ) but it doesnt impact too much the visual and save you quite a lot resources.

It saved me like 10-15fps in somes place, and i could increase the vegetation distance to high without issue. I have more fps like that than with vegetation density "low" and vegetation distance "medium" ( because yeah... vegetation distance "low" its really too bad looking.. >< )

Great suggestion, wooots, thank you very much for your input! :D

Last edited:
Open the user.settings file found in c:/user/yourname/documents/witcher 3

To make it 60 FPS on the cutscenes and to remove ubersampling

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=60.0
MovieUbersampling=false

EDIT: Seems if you modify the keybindings in the INI it stays there forever, on the contrary if you modify them in-game!

Last edited:
It's true that there is a slight delay with the keyboard controls, but maybe their responsiveness can be tweaked as well via the configuration files. Problem is, I have no idea if this is possible at all or not at the moment, but as soon as someone finds a fix, you'll see it posted in the OP! :D

Too bad there isn't a quick fix yet. I've been waiting for so long to play this, and now the game is basically unplayable with this delay. I keep running into objects and it totally ruins the combat.

I tried comparing it to the Witcher 2, and the movement and interaction felt 5x more responsive there.

Hey,

More stuff If I found out.. :

Xbox One Controller :

If you notice problems with your sensitivity switching it from the standard sensitivity to a bigger one will fix some of the problems of the responsiveness while you are in combat. Switch it to 1.0 or 1.2 - 1.5

Intel i5 3570k issue :

I seem to get my processor used only 25-30%... I went to Task Manager and chosen Witcher3.exe and made the game "High Priority".

The game seems like it's not using the CPU to it's full power, you're going to notice a bigger use in CPU now and probably some more RAM (in my case 575MB more of Ram and more 12% of CPU use)

10 more fps to me! I'm now able to play the game at 50 fps stable with medium/high settings!

Last edited:
Open the user.settings file found in c:/user/yourname/documents/witcher 3

To make it 60 FPS on the cutscenes and to remove ubersampling

[Visuals]
Gamma=1
MovieFramerate=60.0
MovieUbersampling=false

EDIT: Seems if you modify the keybindings in the INI it stays there forever, on the contrary if you modify them in-game!

Thanks a lot for these new tweaks, Raiden, we really appreciate your effort! :D

Too bad there isn't a quick fix yet. I've been waiting for so long to play this, and now the game is basically unplayable with this delay. I keep running into objects and it totally ruins the combat.

I tried comparing it to the Witcher 2, and the movement and interaction felt 5x more responsive there.

It's unfortunate, I know, but I'm sure a tweak for the keyboard controls will surface soon enough, as well. If not, then let's hope CD Projekt RED will patch the issue shortly! :)

someone know how to solve this pop up texture 0:02 and 0:41-44 in the video ?

[video=youtube;-gSIVNCO4ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gSIVNCO4ro[/video]

Hey Yotam,

Reminds of me of a driver issue I once had back in World of Warcraft. Can you do a clean install on the latest witcher drivers?

Has anybody figured out exactly what causes low sound during cutscenes? I have to put my surround receiver all the way up to even hear it at a listenable level. Gameplay sound is fine.

Hy everyone. Can someone help me plz with the UI. In the menius you can chose to turn on or off "Undiscovered POIs on map" I was playing with turn on and now after 8 hours of playing it suddenly disappeared. Dont show any locantion i didnt discovered yet. Any ideas about this bug?

"Hey Yotam,

Reminds of me of a driver issue I once had back in World of Warcraft. Can you do a clean install on the latest witcher drivers?"

first sorry if my english not perfect it not my language

i allready uninstall the driver with ddu (display driver uninstaller)

and install 352.86 geforce driver for my 780 ti and it still heppand every few seconds... :(

i now try to uninstall my witcher 3 with gog galaxy and install

hope it will help

if you have any update on solution, plz let me know

another problem is that sometime my game get out and stop respond and i have to quit...

"Hey Yotam,

Reminds of me of a driver issue I once had back in World of Warcraft. Can you do a clean install on the latest witcher drivers?"

first sorry if my english not perfect it not my language

i allready uninstall the driver with ddu (display driver uninstaller)

and install 352.86 geforce driver for my 780 ti and it still heppand every few seconds... :(

i now try to uninstall my witcher 3 with gog galaxy and install

hope it will help

if you have any update on solution, plz let me know

another problem is that sometime my game get out and stop respond and i have to quit...

Are you playing in borderless or fullsceen?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone got the preset ( http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/ ) working? It crashes on startup for me with it enabled. I followed the instructions given in the link and also tried the instructions given in this thread, nothing seems to be working.

Edit: I got it working. Possibly because I disabled FRAPS? I'm not certain if that could cause crashes, though.

Last edited:
Is anyone having an issue with the user.settings or visuals.ini file not being applied after tweaking the fps and ubersampling?I know it's not being overwritten since I can go back into it and the edits are still there.It just seems like it's not being read by the game?I'm still gettings 27-30 fps in FMV scenes.Thanks!

But well... the best fix we could have for that game is a real optimization of the pc version from CD projket.. because so far, its only the ps4 version with few improvement and it run really bad for what is it. I wont denid i'am very very desapointed by what they did... :/

Hello everyone,

Has anyone got the preset ( http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3696/ ) working? It crashes on startup for me with it enabled. I followed the instructions given in the link and also tried the instructions given in this thread, nothing seems to be working.

Edit: I got it working. Possibly because I disabled FRAPS? I'm not certain if that could cause crashes, though.

Fraps caused mine to crash too but apparently you can switch it back on after. Haven't tried yet.

It's also in the OP, my friends:

a) Do note that SweetFX does not work well with any other overlays that you might be running, so for starters, make sure that all overlays are disabled when trying to run any games with SweetFX.

FRAPS in an overlay! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom