The Witcher 3 Downgrade and Battle Field Of View

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Witcher 3 Downgrade and Battle Field Of View

Hello fellas. I'm going to be honest here. I'm not going to kiss anyone's ass. I'm sorry. The thing is.. the downgrade for TW3 is massive. When people started complaining I didn't bothered much, but everyday, all over youtube, facebook, people are starting to talk.

There are 2 main things I'd like to question. First is the actual graphic downgrade which can be clearly visible in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX_WePhiYHE

Second is the ingame battle field of view. In the demo the battle field of view was much closer to the monsters and by being so, much more immersive. An example in this picture:
http://postimg.org/image/iymk11z3h/

I don't know if Red team will be able to bring back the old quality, but I have one request, could you release a patch to get that ingame battle field of view, much closer to the monsters ? At least that. I don't want to get involved in forum fights with fanboys and none of that, that's my only request. The actual battle camera is too far from the action, it's... boring, to say the least. I hope everyone can understand where I'm coming from. The game displayed those images in the demo, and so far it seems very, very misleading. That's all. I hope Red can fix those issues. Wish you the best. Please redirect this to a developer so he can read and understand what I'm trying to depict. Good day.

Last edited:
They could add an option to toggle FOV, in that way it would please everyone. I think it's far more immersive, it's just a matter of adaptation. I think it would be awesome to get a closer take from the whole action. The camera is too far at this point. Trust me I'm not the only one that is disappointed by it. And the demo showed a different FOV, so, I feel a bit cheated.

They could add an option to toggle FOV, in that way it would please everyone. I think it's far more immersive, it's just a matter of adaptation. I think it would be awesome to get a closer take from the whole action. The camera is too far.

Maybe, but I think it would be useless...simply people suddently will realise that that closer camera isn't good for combat.
Camer is so far because you need to control the battlefield and choose the positioning wisely.
With that closer camera, you simply will die everytime, I'm pretty sure about this. Simply because you'll never see if someone attack you from behind, and you can't see the direction of your dodge.

It's not useless. It's like saying different FOVs in Skyrim are useless. It is just a matter of preference. I'm going to repeat myself one more time. The demo displayed a different FOV for battles, and that was misleading. The least they could do is adding that original FOV. It's not a matter of your singular preference, it's a matter that many people whished for a closer immersive take from combat. That's what into question here.

Last edited:
It's not useless. It's like saying different FOVs in Skyrim are useless. It is just a matter of preference. I'm going to repeat myself one more time. The demo displayed a different FOV for battles, and that was misleading. The least they could do is adding that original FOV. It's not a matter of your singular preference, it's a matter that many people whished for a closer immersive take from combat. That's what into question here.

I understand. But just for saying, that wasn't a demo, but a trailer.

Nope. I want to talk directly to the misleading developers. If they have the dignity to do so. It is really that simple. I'm not interested into chatting with fanboys.

I haven't called you a fanboy. You are assuming too much. What I'm trying to say is... I just want an answer for all this. I'm not trying to chat about fandom things. You may be a hard fan or not, and you have the right to be. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't wanna get into that sort of chat. I hope to have explained it better. I'm questioning technical stuff that don't seem to match.

I haven't called you a fanboy. You are assuming too much. What I'm trying to say is... I just want an answer for all this. I'm not trying to chat about fandom things. You may be a hard fan or not, and you have the right to be. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't wanna get into that sort of chat. I hope to have explained it better. I'm questioning technical stuff that don't seem to match.

Ok, I understand. What I can say is...do not put too much hope in getting answers from devs about downgrade.

Nope. I want to talk directly to the misleading developers. If they have the dignity to do so. It is really that simple. I'm not interested into chatting with fanboys.

misleading developers???? thats why they had TENS of HOURS of livestreams and youtuber footage BEFORE the game came out??? right......

Sorry friend. It is misleading... Many people just watch official debut trailers, can't find the time to keep an eye throughout everything that comes out. If reliability cannot be trusted into official debut trailers I'd say consumers are very lost from now on. And the video game industry... well... I better not say, it would be too offensive...

At first I thought people were just whining too... But I decided to take a look at those said downgrades... Take a careful look at the video... In the swamp area the downgrade is so massive, it's too huge to ignore... And the FOV in battles are completely different as well... It's like displaying a different game. I'm sorry, I hate to put myself in this position and question this whole thing, but someone have to do it... Some people are already claiming the downgrade is bigger than that of Watchdogs, and that's really disappointing, for I hold a lot of respect for RED since 2007 when I first played The Witcher 1. This whole situation sucks. I don't even know how to feel about this...

Last edited:
Sorry friend. It is misleading... Many people just watch official debut trailers, can't find the time to keep an eye throughout everything that comes out. If reliability cannot be trusted into official debut trailers I'd say consumers are very lost from now on. And the video game industry... well... I better not say, it would be too offensive...

At first I thought people were just whining too... But I decided to take a look at those said downgrades... Take a careful look at the video... In the swamp area the downgrade is so massive, it's too huge to ignore... And the FOV in battles are completely different as well... It's like displaying a different game. I'm sorry, I hate to put myself here and just showing the whole deal, but... Some people are already claiming the downgrade is bigger than that of Watchdogs, and that's really disappointing, for I hold a lot of respect for RED, since 2007 when I first played The Witcher 1. This whole situation sucks.

its not misleading.... it is completely 100% the fault of the uninformed consumer... all the footage to make an educated purchase is out there, and it wasnt even hard to find because almost every gaming news outlet was spamming links to witcher streams.. + tons of youtubers videos

as to the "swamp downgrade".... imo, when i played in the swamps (first time after i saw it in the 35 min demo).. i thought "oh wow, this looks much better than that 35 min gameplay" no grey fog that makes everything look greyish-brown and the draw distance 10 times smaller......

The games quality certainly changed. We know that.

It is always to assume early material is not representative of the final game, I think it was also said once or twice.

We know the rendering engine changed some months before release, so this could be an explanation for the graphics being.... maybe not way worse, but DIFFERENT from what we have seen in trailers before that, especially in the 2013 trailers which were the early phases of development.

We know they had to make some compromises for platform unity, meaning XOne and PS4 couldn't handle such graphics in such an open world, and low-level PCs probably couldn't either. That would just have restricted and reduced the target audience and the game might not have been financable.

We know the old rendering engine had great fire effects but problems with snow and with certain areas, so maybe that was the case. Maybe performance problems were as well.

Matter of fact is the game still looks close to the 2014 35-minute demo (the comparison of Novigrad in the video just looked so different because of weather and time of day IMO, maybe a little bit because of the rendering engine).

In the end the performance is stable on all platforms and the game still looks better than most "Next Gen" games atm, so I am personally satisfied.
As for you, I can't give you more than those guesses above. Fire effects disappointed me personally as well, but I guess it's just the rendering, and it is a minor trade-of for such a great story and gameplay experience IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom