Volume control keys not working.

+
Volume control keys not working.

Hi,

I just installed The Witcher 3, v1.03.
The game runs very well but I have one annoying bug. My volume control keys don't work while the game is active. Neither the physical hardware buttons on my USB soundcard or the keyboard shortcuts do anything. If I alt+tab away, the buttons and keyboard shortcuts work just fine.
If it matters, I am using a Japanese keyboard, but it should not change anything. All other games work just fine so I assume this is a bug.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have the same problem with my G19 keyboard, the volume control buttons ( + , - , mute...) don't work when i'm in the game. But they work perfectly in any other game. It's not a big deal but still, if it can be corrected...

Thanks for your replies. So it isn't just me then.
I'm sure CDPR will fix this in a patch soon. I also noticed this game is much quieter than other games.

Thanks for your replies. So it isn't just me then.
I'm sure CDPR will fix this in a patch soon. I also noticed this game is much quieter than other games.

No problem. I didn't notice the game to be more quiet though, maybe because I use a 5.1 system and play a bit louder than the average.

Came here to report the exact same thing. Volume controls being blocked by a game is really annoying when you are used to being able to tune volume at a whim :/
Even worse because Witcher 3 is a bit on the quiet side so atm I have to tab out every game launch because I forgot to turn up volume beforehand and can't turn it up while the game is in focus.

---------- Updated at 05:12 PM ----------

Small addition: Witcher 3 also blocks all other multimedia keys I have (Logitech G110 keyboard). So when I retardedly start the game with winamp still playing, I have to tab out to stop/pause it. So, you know. In case you fix the volume control capture, might also just do it for all media keys while you're at it. It would help stop my helpless sobbing in the face of great adversity :(

If you have the steam version (or playing the game with steam overlay on), open the overlay and you can now control the volume.
The only thing steam overlay is good for imho is when games disable your media keys.

Well I have some bad news people.

The Witcher 2 has the same problem, that tells me that CDPR probably don't care very much about this issue because TW2 is a much older game and has had many patches (unless they introduced this bug in a recent patch for the second witcher game).

I did not notice until now, because I got TW3 before being ready to fully play it (I'm playing through the first 2 games first).

The first witcher game does not have this issue.

Same issue here. Multimedia buttons don't work on my Logitech wireless keyboard. Work fine in any other games. Not a huge deal cuz I can alt-tab to change the volume, but it is annoying lol

While this may be a long shot because as Zipplet, said this was something that was never patched in TW2, I would really like an option to disable the mouse and multimedia/global key locking this game does. I like to listen to podcast and the like while running around doing non-dialog heavy task and it's incredibly annoying to have to alt-tab out of the game just play/pause my podcast, especially since this is an issue limited to only a handful of games and appears to be a conscious development decision. Also, this would have the added benefit of allowing me to bind keyboard strokes to my controller (specifically F5 quicksave).

The same applies to accessing my second monitor. If I'm playing on borderless window, I would like to be able to simply move my mouse over to my second screen to access it without having to alt-tab out of the game.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I am hoping that by drumming up support maybe we can get CDPR to look into this, releasing a bug fix for TW3 and preventing their future games from having this defect.

Yep, it's a defect - worse than an annoyance because anyone relying on software volume control exclusively for TW3 are going to have a hard time with this. Mostly people using laptops or headphones because a seperate set of amplified speakers usually has a volume dial on them bypassing the problem.

Relying on alt+tab is not a good solution for a couple of reasons - firstly you can't hear the sound while adjusting it, and secondly it can cause games to become unstable and crash after doing it a few times. For example while playing TW1 the second time around, I would alt+tab to check a walkthrough I was using so that I missed nothing. The game would randomly crash after doing that a few times. If I avoided alt+tab I could play the game all day without a single crash.

Last edited:
This issue has been maddening for me! It's very much a usability concern—it defeats the purpose of having volume control on your keyboard.

I would also like to see this fixed. In fact, I think this same problem with blocking background processes is what's causing the xbox controller to not 'stay alive' and disconnect occasionally.

Top Bottom