Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i am fine with the fact that the main storyline needed to focus on Yen and Ciri, however why was the Triss content lacking outside of the main storyline, i mean she is meant to be one of the most important characters over the trilogy. I knew CDPR stated that this game is a standalone game but i never intepreted that as meaning characters from the previous games would be so reduced (such as Iorveth and Saskia), but this is CDPR game and they have the freedom to do what they want, still should of had a few more interactions with characters like Triss, and if they do make dlc that includes more Triss, it would also have to include more Yen as well to make it fair especially considering we likely won't see these characters again in future games.

Great thread. Glad there are so many supporters of Triss out there. She's a great character and I agree with the overall point of the thread. I picked Triss (obvi) and I didn't regret it for one second but when the credits rolled I found myself just wanting more. She just feels secondary. Not saying we need two completely different stories like in W2 but seeing something change as a result would've been nice. Some differences...

One of the selling points of this game is it is a living, evolving world, and your choices can have a pretty significant impact.
Like freeing the spirt from the tree gets the village of Downwarren (spelling?) almost entirely destroyed. This will eventually lead to the Baron killing himself. That one choice had significant impact further down the line - Geralt even mentions it later when Ciri asks about the Baron.
I feel that they hit the nail on the head with this concept for most every choice you had to make except for the romance option.

The other characters don't even care about Triss. It really bugged me that Cerys was asking questions about Yen when I was helping her to lift the curse. Just a few more lines of dialogue from Geralt as well as the other characters would have helped immensely. Like when someone mentions Yen and Geralt's relationship there could be an additional dialogue option if you romanced Triss - something like "That's in the past, I'm with Triss now". Or when Cerys is talking about Yen, if the player has already romanced Triss, she could ask something about her instead. I think Cerys and Yen had been acquainted prior to that so I understand her taking an interest but that exchange just really bugged me because it was like the game forgot about a choice I had made. Not the easiest of choices either might I add - I don't dislike Yen at all, and by the end of the game she had really begun to grow on me. Going with Triss would add an uneasy element to the "family" element of Yen-Mother, Geralt-Father, Ciri-Daughter situation. I picked Triss not only because I prefer her personality but because I thought Geralt might be legitimately happier with her. She seems more supportive whereas Yen will always be looking out for number 1 first and foremost. I think of what she said in W2 - something to the effect of her going to the ends of the world to help Geralt get his memory back. Or the torture scene where she puts herself at great personal risk for Ciri, and by that extension Geralt. I don't see Yen going to such extremes to help Ciri - she would do a lot and does a lot throughout the story but I have a tough time seeing her put her life on the line. Not directly anyways - she would probably get the job done but in a craftier sort of backhanded way. Often at the expense of others (Garden in Skellige) Also, seeing as how Ciri is all grown now up she doesn't need that stability of the family. Not sure she ever really had it in the first place but that's besides the point.

I like that Yen got more screen time, she was integral to the story - I'm not asking for a complete rewrite of the game either but some acknowledgment that my decision was not "incorrect" in the eyes of the game. Some dialogue changes to indicate that I hadn't made the "wrong" choice. That was another big selling point of the game: no right or wrong choices, just choices with consequences. Another scene or two, a side-quest. Doesn't have to be a sex scene either - I actually didn't mind the scene in the lighthouse. Don't get me wrong, if they wanted to include more naked Triss, I wouldn't be upset. ;) That isn't why I pursue these romances though. I do them because I like to see the connection between two characters and how it responds to the various situations throughout the game. Imagine if Triss or Yen (the player's particular love interest) got seriously wounded in the battle at Kaer Morhen. To see how it affected Geralt and to see how the other characters react would have been a sight to behold. The romances also give more context to some of your choices - they don't just effect you, they have an impact on those you care about. They also give me some insight as to what might possibly happen between games or after a game is finished altogether. I rather like the idea of Geralt and Triss retiring (not totally) to a lonely corner of the world where they spend their days together. It would have been nice to see some exchange after the fountain/feather scene - like Triss asking him if he is going to hang up his silver sword for good or if he is going to still be actively pursuing Witcher contracts. Of course we know what he does but some in-game discussion of their future would have been a nice little touch. Wouldn't be too hard to implement either - just a few more lines of dialogue.

That being said, I think the parts where Triss and Geralt are actually lovey-dovey with each other are really well done - in fact, I think it even worthy of the term "romance".

The books I don't think apply here - I don't like this argument because in the books the actions (choices) are essentially chiseled in marble. They happen as you flip the pages - you just read along and enjoy what unfolds before you. This is you playing Geralt and altering his story to fit your own personal narrative. So who cares if Triss or Yen was different in the books - these are different circumstances and the characters in the game are only based on those in the books. This is your story to shape as you see fit. Just don't make me feel like I did something wrong by not picking Yennefer.

Sorry for the long post or wall-of-text but I have had some thoughts on the subject, lol. I was glad to have found this thread because it has stated a lot what I have been thinking since finishing the game. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Some actually concrete examples of changes I don't think would be too hard to implement:
- Change the dialogue with Cerys (mentioned above) and other NPCs
- Have Triss kiss Geralt when he brings Ciri back - or at least have Triss say something about Yen kissing him
- Have her as a real, permanent part of the world - you can go talk to her about whatever just happened in the main quest. Like she actually would be at Kaer Morhen and you could at least give her updates on the Ciri situation. I'm not saying a conversation for every side-quest or Witcher contract but something like "Yen and I performed Necromancy on a dead guy and now I have to go get Uma from the Baron. What are your thoughts on this?"
- A side quest or two - she confesses she let the Rose of Remembrance whither and you decide to go searching for a new one. Even something smaller like she would like to have a picnic out in the fields outside Novigrad - do you want to go buy the supplies? They could eat and laugh and talk about the past, present, or future.

Just some ideas but I think it would do some good to actually have some real, concrete examples where the REDs could see where we would like changes implemented.

Also, I have to say, in other games where romances were an option and a part of the story (Dragon Age, Mass Effect) I pursued the romances for much of the same reasons as I stated above. To see the extra depth to the character development. I rather like the Mass Effect romances - your love interest resides on the Normandy and after almost every story mission you could go and talk to them about it. I liked that part. This is the first fictional romance that has actually elected real feelings from me though. Like when she left after the lighthouse and I couldn't find her, I was sad. Like actually sad to the point of I had to stop playing for a few hours. When she would appear on screen I would find myself inexplicably smiling. The scene at the party where he caught her and they kissed under the fireworks and with the feather when they kissed and she went up on her tippy-toes just made me melt. If they took some of these suggestions, these scenes would have even more of an impact on the player.

As per what someone said earlier, the song that seems to get me right in the feels about Triss is this one: https://youtu.be/GyAJ4V06izg
Also mentioned before, I am glad to see Triss is winning the poll for best love interest. ;)

Well that's all I had to say for now. I'll keep watching this thread as it gives me some hope that maybe us Triss-fans will get our day in the sun. ^_^

Last edited:
I completely agree, that was a great post summarizing all the minor and major issues that a lot of Triss fans felt. The one thing that annoyed me is how after the lighthouse scene, their relationship seemed to stop 'evolving' like the relationship was set in stone and the game would focus on other things (until you get a couple of small references to their relationship), but the Yen romance (if you chose this) keeps 'evolving' throughout the game and that was great to see but some things should of been added for Triss, i swear at one point i though my Geralt and Triss had broken up because the game hardly reminds you that you are with her.

These are just some minor issues and there is quite a bit of missed opportunities that the developers could of implemented to make the relationship seem more real and fleshed out. I also wanted to point out that it is great to see lots of Triss fans on the forums and i am sure there are plenty more that haven't created an account (or been to the forums yet).

if they do make dlc that includes more Triss, it would also have to include more Yen as well to make it fair especially considering we likely won't see these characters again in future games.

Not necessarily. I think that if they did something akin to the Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC it would appease all camps. You have to go and visit every major character or a party where they are all in one place, or something. If you didn't romance anyone you get some more dialogue with all of them. If you romanced Yen, you get the dialogue the "Single Geralt" would have gotten with some extra dialogue. Since you obviously favor Yen, you would be happy to have more between them. Same is true for Triss. Or a quest from your particular love interest. Like what I said before, she says something about the rose and you decide to surprise her with a new one. Venture into some eleven ruins where they are rumored to still grow. Fight some smaller monsters as well as a boss-type encounter to get to the roses. Then surprise her with the rose back in Novigrad or wherever she is. I'd probably shell out for just more Triss but if they implemented it as such they could achieve something meaningful without disrespecting any specific character-camps.

Not necessarily. I think that if they did something akin to the Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC it would appease all camps. You have to go and visit every major character or a party where they are all in one place, or something. If you didn't romance anyone you get some more dialogue with all of them. If you romanced Yen, you get the dialogue the "Single Geralt" would have gotten with some extra dialogue. Since you obviously favor Yen, you would be happy to have more between them. Same is true for Triss. Or a quest from your particular love interest. Like what I said before, she says something about the rose and you decide to surprise her with a new one. Venture into some eleven ruins where they are rumored to still grow. Fight some smaller monsters as well as a boss-type encounter to get to the roses. Then surprise her with the rose back in Novigrad or wherever she is. I'd probably shell out for just more Triss but if they implemented it as such they could achieve something meaningful without disrespecting any specific character-camps.
True the citadel DLC idea has been tossed around a bit and i would defiantly be up for it, but it is up to CDPR since having extra quests designed for or having more interaction with the romantic interests would cost them money and resources, so having a dlc where the player does a quest and then when talking to the love interest extra dialogue options appear than that wouldn't be too hard (or cost too much) for the developers to implement. I do like your idea about getting a new rose, since in the Witcher 2 that sort of cemented how the player felt about Triss, so to see it wither in the Witcher 3 without really expanding on it was somewhat disappointing since i never intended for my Geralt to break up with Triss but it was set in stone without us really having a choice, and a quest like that in the game would be meaningful to how Geralt felt about Triss, sort of like the the last wish quest for Yen.

Yeah, I mean it's not unheard of for games like this to include a quest or two unique to the choices you make. You picked Triss, here's a quest to commemorate your choice and cement the relationship further. It's also quite likely that people will do multiple playthroughs with different choices to experience everything the game has to offer. Branching dialogue choice alone lends to this - a lot of the dialogue choices are on the nicer side while a lot of them on the dick side. So my first playthrough my Geralt was on the nicer side. When I play through again I completely plan on being a huge dick to everyone (cept Triss ;) ). The W2 had this - some quests would only be available if you sided with Roche and vice versa.

hehe yeah in my first playthrough i was mostly neutral but i did act a bit like a dick and i loved the sarcastic dialogue options that appeared. I mean it isn't completely like Star Wars Knights of the old republic where you can be completely good or completely evil, and that is what is love about the witcher games (or course i will never be a dick to Triss, i like her too much).

I actually figured this out in Mass Effect - be nice first. I remember in the first one when you go to Feros and you have to help save the colony, if you are Renegade and you're an asshole the people won't ask you for help and you'll miss out on like 3 or 4 very small quests. I figured that was a good mantra to adopt to these sort of branching dialogue games - you don't wanna piss someone off and miss a quest or something. However, this is getting off-topic.

Soo, Triss rules and we want more! :help::heart:

A side quest or two - she confesses she let the Rose of Remembrance whither and you decide to go searching for a new one.
I have two visions of way out with Rose of Remembrance
1)If we save Triss in TW2, they didn't break out their relationships in TW3
2)If we choose Triss, add some quest with her and Rose as a result of which the Rose of Remembrance will be "ressurected". Looking for a new one seems like Geralt don't know what he want and ...I hope you know what I mean, just can't describe this feeling.

I love these suggestions! Especially hunting for another 'Rose of Remembrance'

Another thing that annoyed me was the insinuation that Geralt and Yen was making out behind the hung rug when they were stealing the mask. They both came out smiling and fixing their clothes. Really broke my immersion in my first pt because I was playing a Geralt who had left his cheating ways behind and was ready to commit to Triss.

This time I had Geralt sleep with Keira and some prostitutes (before getting with Triss) to sort of excuse that scene with Yen as Geralt hasn't completely gotten rid of his "whoring around"

I wish I had some good ideas to add to the pool of things they could add in an enhanced edition. but I think they've all been listed.

Hunting the Rose of Remembrance perhaps sometime during Act III, Triss hugging or kissing Geralt when he returns or something would be nice. In this pt I found Triss's earring and Geralt mentions having to give it to her. I wonder if this will just be another Triss related quest item that just hangs out in my bag or will I actually be able to give it to her.

Well they have already talked about (I say talked but it wasn't a very fulfilling answer) why they split up between the games. Triss steps aside after Geralt remembers who Yen is. Nothing we can do about that but why couldn't they at least talk about it? Very flat dialogue between them. There's another issue which I will mention but it isn't overly important. Why did they have to break up completely for his Yen-quest to begin? Couldn't they have just taken a break until he figured out what he wanted and then when they meet in Novigrad she could ask the question "So, have you figured out what you want?" It wouldn't even need to be a dialogue-choice made by the player. He could just say "I don't know - I haven't really had time to talk about things with Yen." But we didn't really get anything - just some awkward beating around the bush. In a game that is so deep and rich, I find it hard to believe they purposefully neglected Triss like this.

Hopefully some of the Triss content just got cut and we can see some of it in an Enhanced Edition in the future. Just kinda sucks that one of the greatest female characters in a video game had to go out on such a letdown. I rest easy knowing that my Geralt will live out the rest of his days with Triss in peace but as a player I just wish we could have seen more of this in the game.

Like I said before, the brief romance scenes with Triss are so well done, so touching, so sweet, it's just a bummer that it doesn't somehow tie into the main story (or even some sidequests) at all. No interaction between her and the other characters & no interaction after the "emotionless" Witcher poured his heart and soul out. My favorite character in a game for a long time is put on the bench at the end of her story. I know I am not alone in this feeling - this feeling of just disappointment. Even if they made an entire game about Triss I wouldn't be satisfied but to have her set aside as, well just that, an aside is a huge letdown.

This is a rather large missed opportunity by the REDs in my opinion. Like I said before, I don't need the entire game to revolve around my choice of romantic pursuit but some acknowledgment from the rest of the cast would be nice. Just something more than "I'll miss you Witcher. A lot..." and then she disappears for 40 hours.

I remember after I met with Radovid, I got a letter from her telling me that we need to meet. Yes, proudly kept that letter in my inventory for the rest of the game. I tossed Yenefer's letter aside when my inventory was getting a bit cramped. Why couldn't they have done that again? "I am back from (whatever she had to do before Kaer Mohren) can we meet?" And then there's a location and the rose quest would follow. Or something. I keep saying "or something" a lot and that's because even something small would go miles towards making her feel like more than just an afterthought. But instead we get nothing.

I think on my next play through I am going to try to space the Triss quests out a bit. This time around I did everything I could conceivably do on the map before leaving for Skellige - every side quest, every Gwent match, every question mark, every Witcher contract. Next time I will do the same but maybe only do the first quest then do some exploring in Skellige then come back and do the second one and then more Skellige - probably break the spell. And finally I will come back and do the "Now or Never" quest before the Isle of the Mists. It might help make it feel like Triss isn't absent for so long. But that is just me in denial - I will still know, deep down, that I've been playing for 20 hours and Triss is nowhere to be found.

To say nothing of the fact that Yen still kisses Geralt! Or Cerys grills him about Yen! This goes back to my other, other previous point. They made it seem like Triss is the "wrong" option and Yennefer is the "right" option. Don't like having it forced on me as it was.

I could go on and on and on I'm sure but a good point is that in a game as polished and refined as this, they let this pitch sail by. They did so much good with this game and I feel like a good game seizes every opportunity possible. They saw a chance to flesh out the Geralt/Yen relationship and they seized the opportunity. They saw a chance to develope Ciri from a young girl to young woman with a past and choices of her own and they seized the opportunity. They realized a game like this would really benefit from an open world and they seized the opportunity (rather splendidly I might say). They saw a chance to have your choices impact the world through the writing and they seized the opportunity. When it comes to the Triss side of things, I feel like they just sat there and watched the pitch sail by and then said "Well, the rest of it was so good maybe they won't notice". Well REDs, we noticed and we are none too pleased about it. Please, please from the bottom of my heart (and I think I speak for the other ~180 who have voted here) give us some more Triss. Anything would be better than nothing. Don't let this wonderful character go out like this. Seize this opportunity.

As has been said before there are problems with the game but they aren't deal breakers. The cumbersome inventory is only a minor nuisance and doesn't detract from the overall experience. This is a missed opportunity that does, it absolutely does detract from the experience and story you are trying to tell to us the players. This one hurts and while playing the game, especially in the early stages, I couldn't believe how good it was. After Novigrad, I felt cheated, felt like something was just missing. It took away from the experience - I couldn't enjoy it to the extent I enjoyed the earlier sections. I had made an altogether difficult choice and chosen Triss to be my one and only, and then the game responds by basically telling me I had made the wrong choice. Or not telling me anything - not giving any indication that the choice I made would impact the game world. I will remember the beautiful, massive open world. I will remember Gwent. I will remember the Baron's story. I will remember the Witcher contracts. I will remember the rich and detailed story. These are all positive things, things this game had pulled off better than any other game in recent memory. This is a missed opportunity that detracts from all of those amazing things that you guys poured your blood, sweat, and tears into. Bring this up to par with the rest of the game and the minor nuisances can stay for all I care.

Edit: Man, look at all that text. I guess I really can go on about a bitch. :book: (Not that Triss is a bitch)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a long text, it is always great to see the opinions of both Triss fans and non Triss fans, just goes to show how passionate people are about the game and the characters:smiling:

I do have a tendency to get overly passionate about these sorts of things though. Looks like I'm not alone though. Also, I can say with reasonable certainty I haven't had the patience or, hmm, passion, I guess, to write so much about a character. Triss is just something else & I wish they could give her a proper send off. Like I've said before, I have some peace of mind knowing my Witcher will spend his days happily with Triss in Kovir. :wub: I just have this feeling of emptiness or rather incompleteness about the handling of this. Missed opportunities man - I will remember this game as a fantastic game but I will also remember how this particular topic made me feel. Staying up until 5:30 AM trying to put my discontent into words is not something I will forget anytime soon. Just hope it doesn't ruin the game for me down the line - like in a couple years I don't want to be discouraged from playing again to avoid that feeling of incompleteness. >_<

---------- Updated at 09:51 AM ----------

non Triss fans

Where are these people? Bring them to me

The scene at 1:39 just looks like it's on the boat in Skellige before the final confrontation. Pre-rendered but still - I can't imagine anything else. The kiss at 1:58 does look unique so I would say that one is a possibility. Right after in what looks like a sex scene kinda thing they have already addressed that it isn't new. That kiss looks new and kinda passionate though - I say maybe. I am hopeful too but I have been let down by gaming companies in the past. Trying not to get my hopes up too high - it's the fall that's going to kill you, or so they say. :p

Reviewing TW3 trailer I've seen 3 moments with Triss,which I didn't see in game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU&list=PLf-QZNCg8OAY9-uVPt-RGEmlryyg-pnpD&index=17
moments at 1:39 and 1:58
I think they are from some DLC packs, like moment with vampire. So my hope is risen!!
The 'sex' scene i believe was from the same motion capture that most of the sex scenes in the game were made from. I believe they cut that scene out (for whatever reason), so it is possible that those particular scenes may come back in some dlc but i think it is unlikely :(

The scene at 1:39 just looks like it's on the boat in Skellige before the final confrontation
I think so before I reached this quest and didn't see this moment. But I agree, it can be just my inattention

The 'sex' scene i believe was from the same motion capture that most of the sex scenes in the game were made from. I believe they cut that scene out (for whatever reason), so it is possible that those particular scenes may come back in some dlc but i think it is unlikely
I don't know what we will see in next dlc, it's only some new moments after finishing game

PS. The main thing for me is the development of relations and cosequences of our decisions, cooperation with other characters and events. sex is just a nice addition to the end of questline

Last edited:
I agree, unlikely. I don't even want another sex scene - that's not the part I care about. I want more interactions. It's been said ad naseum but that is the part I think we are itching for. Look at Mass Effect for instance - after the first game they didn't even show anything at all. Just the lead up to it - I still pursued the romances (as did many others) because it just adds so much depth to the characters. It's not the sex - I couldn't care less about that. Just the cherry on top. Nice to look at. It's the other stuff that I want and it's this that the game is lacking so heavily in. :( Oh well, I will hold out for more Triss - hopefully they hear our call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom