Code:
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassDistanceScale=2.4
FoliageDistanceScale=2.4
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=72
GrassRingSize=8388608

Very good lookin shadows, didn't tinker with that,
but I changed this ones for my ultra;

Rendering ini from C, GOG,... (where is your game installed)

AllowFog=false
TerrainReadAheadDistance=18800.0f -(for a long distance view without extra fog layer-you'll still have fog in game)

MaxCubeShadowSize=1024 (BEFORE 512 )
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024 (BEFORE 512) - FOR DARKER SHADOWS

TextureMemoryBudget=1200
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=20.0f
DecalBudget=100
DynamicDecalsLimit=60 more life and more decals on screen

GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128 -(FOR WAVES- from VGX trailer w3)
-you have to load save from tower of mice(fyke island) and meditate for a storm and sail to see it in action

You'll see FPS going down quickly- my gpu is GTX980

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-05-23 16-46-43-50.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-23 16-46-43-50.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 64
  • witcher3 2015-05-23 00-09-15-99.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-23 00-09-15-99.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 52
  • witcher3 2015-05-22 19-39-39-76.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-22 19-39-39-76.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 88
  • witcher3 2015-05-22 19-23-29-10.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-22 19-23-29-10.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 88
  • witcher3 2015-05-23 16-55-29-64.jpg
    witcher3 2015-05-23 16-55-29-64.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 47
Oops. I too use in-game 60 FPS limiter. What happens if you turn it off? Do you get an increase/decrease in framerate?

Durante himself has reported that the in-game framerate limiter introduces stuttering (frame-pacing issues) and that for maximum smoothness you should disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS.

You can get RTSS from here and this is how to configure it for The Witcher 3. By doing all of the above, you will turn nasty stuttering into perpetual smoothness! :D

I will also update the OP with this information, as it definitely made a difference for me! ;)

A little help please?
I've been trying to get the ReShader and SweetFX to work as stated in the OP. When I open the game, I see the little text overlay saying its working but I dont see any actual difference in the graphics, also pressing ScrLK doesn't seem to change anything. Not sure what else to do :-/

The ScrLK toggle is broken in ReShade 0.18.4 (I should update the OP with this information as well :p), but if you installed ReShade and SweetFX correctly, then you should definitely see a difference in-game. Depending on the preset, the difference between vanilla and SweetFX can be quite subtle, so my advice for you would be to try out different presets until you know for sure that ReShade/SweetFX work, then maybe revert back to your initial favourite preset.

Once Crosire brings out a new version of ReShade, I will of course update the OP with the new link! ;)

Very good lookin shadows, didn't tinker with that,
but I changed this ones for my ultra;

Rendering ini from C, GOG,... (where is your game installed)

AllowFog=false
TerrainReadAheadDistance=18800.0f -(for a long distance view without extra fog layer-you'll still have fog in game)

TextureMemoryBudget=1200
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=20.0f
DecalBudget=100
DynamicDecalsLimit=60 more life and more decals on screen

GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128 -(FOR WAVES- from VGX trailer w3)
-you have to load save from tower of mice(fyke island) and meditate for a storm and sail to see it in action

You'll see FPS going down quickly- my gpu is GTX980

Thank you very much for your feedback, MUPETTA! :D

I am VERY curious to see GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128 in action! Should you find the time, would you mind uploading a screenshot of during a storm, just so everyone can see that those huge waves are still in the game after all? :p

For those with 1 gb cards like 560ti or those using medium textures. In the user.ini rendering section increase the texbudget value to 500.I gained 5 FPS in fights previously my vram usage was 700mb now it is 855mb with the tweak.500mb is the defualt value in bin /rendering .

Last edited:
For those with 1 gb cards like 560ti or those using medium textures. In the user.ini rendering section increase the texbudget value to 500.I gained 5 GPS in fights previously my vram usage was 700mb now it is 855mb with the tweak.

Thank you very much for your input, Daredvil, though you might want to use a more visible colour for your future posts! :p

Thank you very much for your feedback, MUPETTA!

I am VERY curious to see GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=128 in action! Should you find the time, would you mind uploading a screenshot of during a storm, just so everyone can see that those huge waves are still in the game after all?

Not until Monday, sorry, i'll be on trip, (I'm at work now)

of course I taken shots on different Tesselation factors in game (so others can see)
I'll put on pic numbers of tesselation and fps counter so that will be easy to see dif.

Shaders on surface of water are different than vgx trailer -but very close when is stormy.
- BIG waves are really nice (but 5- FPS LOWER)

my numbers setting for waves is just high enough to reach edges of boat,
not higher, we don't want to Geralt pumping water from boat.

That is only place so far I did see a big big difference- didn't test it everywhere (Not yet level ready for skelige islands)
(I think storm is scripted for that quest -maybe I'm wrong)
See you in monday

Not until Monday, sorry, i'll be on trip, (I'm at work now)

of course I taken shots on different Tesselation factors in game (so others can see)
I'll put on pic numbers of tesselation and fps counter so that will be easy to see dif.

Shaders on surface of water are different than vgx trailer -but very close when is stormy.
- BIG waves are really nice (but 5- FPS LOWER)

my numbers setting for waves is just high enough to reach edges of boat,
not higher, we don't want to Geralt pumping water from boat.

That is only place so far I did see a big big difference- didn't test it everywhere (Not yet level ready for skelige islands)
(I think storm is scripted for that quest -maybe I'm wrong)
See you in monday

In understand perfectly, no problem! See you next week and have a nice weekend until then! :D

I'd have to see his settings and what files he's used. Different postprocessing setups can use different files (sweetfx_settings.cfg rather than sweetfx_settings.txt for instance). I'd guess he's mixed and matched. I'd recommend he delete all the files he installed then just download a different zip with everything and extract it into x64. This one, say: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/105/? or perhaps https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/3712/
then adjust as desired

But what I can help with is toggling. Bring up the Steam overlay and it works. (you can add Witcher 3 in Steam as a non-Steam game if you have the GoG version).

So to toggle: tap shift-tab, then hit scroll lock, then shift-tab (assuming you're setup has scroll-lock as the toggle key).

I did basically as instructed in the OP.
Downloaded the archive, extraceted, installed the ReShader.exe with auto detecting the game. went into the SweetFX folder in the x64 and replaced the SweetFX_settings.txt with the presets also from the link in the OP (renamed the file and all). I'll guess I'll try the steam thing but I dont really want to start it through steam every time :-/

Any other suggestion that comes to mind?

Durante himself has reported that the in-game framerate limiter introduces stuttering (frame-pacing issues) and that for maximum smoothness you should disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS.

You can get RTSS from here and this is how to configure it for The Witcher 3. By doing all of the above, you will turn nasty stuttering into perpetual smoothness! :D

I will also update the OP with this information, as it definitely made a difference for me! ;)

Does RTSS need to be running every time when you play or you just enter the amount of fps and then you don't need it run it again?

This supposedly causes glitches with interior lights, but I can't really find where I saw it before. Basically shadows from candles/lamps were turning off at random. If someone knows what I'm talking about maybe they can post the links to those posts here.

I'd like to be able to confirm for myself that increasing those values causes glitches.

Does RTSS need to be running every time when you play or you just enter the amount of fps and then you don't need it run it again?

It runs in the background (with an icon in tray). I'd recommend MSI Afterburner too which comes with RTSS and you can use it to monitor GPU usage/temperatures as well as CPU, RAM etc. It also has an option to use a single tray icon.

You only need to set the limit once.

Anybody messed around with the particle density yet?
Played a little bit with the maxallowedparticlecount line, but seems, this not
the only value that have to be changed to get more particles ... true is that its increasing
the effect.

This pretty much the only concern i have torwards GFX in TW3, for the rest ... its interesting
and thx for meddling with it... but i don t care that much about it.

As said particle density and texture / npc pop in has to be "fixed" tweaked
I don t use sweetfx either... TW3 looks gorgeous enough for me :D except for
the 2 points i wrote here :D

So any tipp which value i have to increase / decrease to for more particles?
Nvidia guide doesn t say anythings about it... except for the line i already edited.

Last edited:
I've personally had a better experience using half refresh rate v-sync in the Nvidia control panel. Absolutely smooth 30 fps lock :)

Also, does someone have a definitive solution for anti-aliasing that's both good looking and cost effective?

It runs in the background (with an icon in tray). I'd recommend MSI Afterburner too which comes with RTSS and you can use it to monitor GPU usage/temperatures as well as CPU, RAM etc. It also has an option to use a single tray icon.
You only need to set the limit once.

From my experience, you always have to have RTSS running in the background (i.e. have the icon in the tray) while playing the game for the FPS limiting to work. It does not function like NVIDIA Control Panel, for instance, where you simply set your desired framerate limit and then you can forget about it. ;)

That being said, I have just recently started using RTSS, so maybe there's a way of making the framerate limit permanent? :-

This supposedly causes glitches with interior lights, but I can't really find where I saw it before. Basically shadows from candles/lamps were turning off at random. If someone knows what I'm talking about maybe they can post the links to those posts here.

I'd like to be able to confirm for myself that increasing those values causes glitches.

Indeed, it was Asmodean778 who pointed out that raising MaxCubeShadowSize and MaxSpotShadowSize above "512" will cause shadow glitches. ;)

Some other interesting hair/face lod tweaks from the same post (for the user.settings file):

[Rendering]
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=40
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=80

Last edited:
Deleting OR renaming the following:

//the witcher wild hunt 3/ bin / x64 : APEX_Clothing_x64.dll

will force what little PhysX there is onto CPU ie. essentially the same as setting cpu to physX in control panel...just bulletproof ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU high priority tweak though, since people have been getting mixed results with it. What does help, however, is setting your CPU to be the PhysX processor for your system! You can find the instructions for doing so in the OP as well.

Cheers, Verrenus. I did see a small difference with my set up if the high priority wasn't set, however I totally agree that the PhysX to CPU had a very large (positive) effect. Another big improvement was thanks to your guidance to disable the Nvidia (Shield) Streaming process.

BTW - something I hadn't found out previously is the [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[ESC} shortcut straight to the task manger, instead of the usual [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DELETE] & then selecting task manager from there. Understood that most people on this site probably are already aware, but thought I'd bring it up in case. Just a small difference in number of keystrokes I know, but it does make a difference for me since I'm doing it each time I start up the game :)

Keep up the good work & thanks again.
:)

From my experience, you always have to have RTSS running in the background (i.e. have the icon in the tray) while playing the game for the FPS limiting to work. It does not function like NVIDIA Control Panel, for instance, where you simply set your desired framerate limit and then you can forget about it. ;)

That being said, I have just recently started using RTSS, so maybe there's a way of making the framerate limit permanent? :-

Nothing wrong with that, make it start with windows. It only uses 2mb of ram anyway and no cpu. That way the frame limit will be permanent.

Cheers, Verrenus. I did see a small difference with my set up if the high priority wasn't set, however I totally agree that the PhysX to CPU had a very large (positive) effect. Another big improvement was thanks to your guidance to disable the Nvidia (Shield) Streaming process.

BTW - something I hadn't found out previously is the [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[ESC} shortcut straight to the task manger, instead of the usual [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DELETE] & then selecting task manager from there. Understood that most people on this site probably are already aware, but thought I'd bring it up in case. Just a small difference in number of keystrokes I know, but it does make a difference for me since I'm doing it each time I start up the game :)

Keep up the good work & thanks again.
:)

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind thoughts, Fenr15, I really appreciate the support! :D

Nothing wrong with that, make it start with windows. It only uses 2mb of ram anyway and no cpu. That way the frame limit will be permanent.

That would an idea indeed, I hadn't thought about that! Thanks a lot for the suggestion, zefs! :p

---------- Updated at 06:34 PM ----------

Deleting OR renaming the following:

//the witcher wild hunt 3/ bin / x64 : APEX_Clothing_x64.dll

will force what little PhysX there is onto CPU ie. essentially the same as setting cpu to physX in control panel...just bulletproof ;)
I heard the game uses physx on cpu by default, so that could be just a placebo effect...
It didn't make any difference for me,both elinitating the dll or setting physx to cpu

Last edited:
I heard the game uses physx on cpu by default, so that could be just a placebo effect...
It didn't make any difference for me,both elinitating the dll or setting physx to cpu

Maybe, but since you do not need this line at all, putting all of what little clothing physX there is on the cpu might help gamers with below par GPU. personally on a 980 i don't see any effect either (1-2 fps barely registers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom