Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what makes this game so good though. If you wanted to have the choice to rekindle your relationship with Yennefer you could, or you could go back to Triss and make the decision you didn't want to lose her. It's just too bad there wasn't much interaction after you make that decision.

That in my opinion will always be one advantage an rpg game will have over a fixed story, i get the feeling if this game was a fixed story where you couldn't make those kind of choices then Yen would be the default romance for Geralt. I agree that particular choice between Yen and Triss was done great because it was almost a reset button for Geralt where he wasn't tied to one woman at the point and could reflect on who he wanted to be with (which is where we the players come in to decide). The interaction after making that decision however needed more depth.

This thread is quickly become a threadnaught, I love it. As for all the people hoping for a response from CDPR, I am not that hopeful. And even if they did it will probably be something similar to the whole downgrade debacle. They will acknowledge fan disappointment, but it won't change anything. Then again, CDPR is god damn awesome and probably do deserve the benefit of the doubt, I certainly hope our voices are being herd.

Edit: How is my join date in 2008? I made an account yesterday.

The whole reunion with Triss, yeah, maybe it could have been done differently depending if they wanted to consider our choices with W2. But if they couldn't do that and had to decide on a "canon" start, then they choose a very good one, the reason why for their break up happened makes sense and how you can slowly rekindle that flame is done masterfully.

I feel it's nice to discuss these parts too, and explore the nuances of what they did right. We all know what we want and what is lacking, but that shouldn't stop us from appreciating and talking about the good parts from time to time.

I confess at first I thought I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy these parts like I did my first time around, having hindsight of what's going to happen somehow casts a shadow on the whole thing. Yet I managed to somehow, at times.

Lots of good stuff here. Unfortunately I don't think we will ever get an exact picture of what happened between the games. He regained his memory and started search for Yennefer. Everything else you must fill in by yourself. I'll try to offer what I can but I am by no means an expert.

Geralt is what at her? no idea what you meant there sorry.

Pissed at her. Although, this again, is up for interpretation. It depends on what he is pissed about exactly. Really the only thing he could reasonably be pissed about is her taking advantage of his amnesia. I think she pretty much made up for it by going to quite extensive lengths in helping him get his memory back. It's not like there wasn't already something between them anyways. I see it more as capitalizing on the opportunity in front of her. Didn't they also say that for a little while, they thought Yennefer was dead? Beside the point really. Sure she took advantage but it's not like he didn't get anything out of it. He got a job, a lady, and he did eventually get his memory back. Keep in mind, if she truly was taking advantage of him, I don't think she would have helped him to get his memory back. She would have just walked into the sunset with him and never looked back. Doesn't quite fit the whole "taking advantage of" mindset.

She did, however, cop to having taken advantage of him. Again, I've not read the books so I could be wrong about a lot of this.

just replayed the warehouse part. Lots of double meaning in their conversation. This time I was able to get more out of it. Still don't grasp the whole picture though, what does exactly Triss means when she says, "reconciled?"

Geralt kind of sees through that and tells her she must accept the truth, truth being what exactly?

Reconciled --> restore friendly relations between

The dialogue branches here and I think the one that gives you the most possible clues is when Geralt tells the story about the man who lost his legs.

G "We all lie sometimes. But lying to yourself is running away, whereas there's really nowhere to run."
T "Sometimes you have to escape just to forget. Your friend might have dwelled on his lost legs. But it's not like by grieving he could've grown another pair."

Geralt first says that it's good to see you safe and sound and... "Reconciled?" Then he can tell his story. No real transition. Like he's calling her out, telling her that she's lying. She's not reconciled. She's not okay about them splitting up. She keeps telling herself that she is though, because grieving about Geralt being gone isn't going to bring him back. That is why she has been formulating this plan to lead the mages to Kovir. She isn't going to sit around and wait for him - which I have to say, I give her a lot of credit for. She's actively trying to move on.

Anyway, my understanding of the scene in general is that she dumped Geralt when he got his memories and set out to find Yen. She acted tough when she did that, stating that she didn't care or similar. And even when they meet again she is still trying to pretend as if she's moved on and the whole thing doesn't bother her anymore. Geralt sees through her and presses her to reveal her feeling or to at least be honest with herself.

You say she dumped him and Willow says he dumped her. I think, based on how we left it in W2 and how it picks up in W3, neither of these is completely true. They seemed like they could have gone off and just been happy together at the end of the W2. He got his memory back though and suddenly remembered about Yennefer. I think Geralt wanted to go and Triss decided to not try to stop him. It was a mutual split. They left it open however though, because they knew what they had was real, there was something between them. If Geralt left and fell for Yennefer all over again, then so be it, Triss was ready to move on. If he found Yennefer and realized the "magic's gone" so to say, then she would be happy about that. I think she knew how strong the bond between them though so she thought the latter was a long shot. That's why at the lighthouse she said she wouldn't have imagined staying.

Upon meeting in Novigrad, she is immediately pleased to see him but is also confused/nervous about what to feel. Is he back with Yen? Is he there for her? This is where you can make your choice. Are you there for her or are you holding out for Yennefer? I actually really enjoy that she didn't immediately swoon in front of him. She tries to keep up a tough exterior, @ltdk92 says, as a defense mechanism. She's actually shown a lot of growth over the games. Kudos to that CDPR. :p

The only part that confuses me is when she asks "So, tell me how Yen's doing?"
You can either say
"She's fine."
"Not bad."
"I don't know."
Triss always responds with a very somber, depressed sounding "Never mind. I got my answer." I don't know what exactly she was expecting to hear. The only thing I can reasonably conclude is maybe she was hoping he had given up on finding Yennefer? Which isn't really in keeping with some of her earlier comments. Like I said, that line is where she kind of loses me.

So in summary, this is the way I play it in my head anyways, they had a mutual split when Geralt fully regained his memories. When they met up in Novigrad she tried to convince herself that she didn't feel anything, to keep her from getting hurt. Feelings don't disappear just like that though & it's clear she's still hurting about losing him.

Nobody is perfect in a situation like this and their situation is rather unique as she knew she would be competing with Yennefer, the love of Geralt's life. They've both made some mistakes but the fact that they truly can reconcile in the end show's that they are willing to look past those mistakes. If you are going for Yennefer, however, then you would likely say it's good she kept her defenses up. I don't think even the Yen-camp wants to break Triss's heart again. Just like I loathed the break up in the Last Wish. Breaking Yennefer's heart like that is tough to watch. Knowing all their history doesn't mean anything anymore. The potential dynamic between the three characters is amazing. If you can tell yourself what's going on behind the scenes, it's actually a pretty emotional and fulfilling situation. Still I would rather the issues be made explicit - to see them unfold on the screen right there in front of you.

Last edited:
This thread is quickly become a threadnaught, I love it. As for all the people hoping for a response from CDPR, I am not that hopeful. And even if they did it will probably be something similar to the whole downgrade debacle. They will acknowledge fan disappointment, but it won't change anything. Then again, CDPR is god damn awesome and probably do deserve the benefit of the doubt, I certainly hope our voices are being herd.

They did have the reason of consoles and how they couldnt't handle those graphics, what could be the explanation now?
Edit: How is my join date in 2008? I made an account yesterday.

Merged accounts?

How is my join date in 2008? I made an account yesterday.

Lol that's funny. Maybe you joined in your sleep some years ago. :p

They will eventually say something. I feel like they have to at this point. As you said, this thread has become too big to ignore forever. Will we like their answer? That has yet to be determined. When will they answer? I also, don't know that one, but I feel like it will be soonish. Maybe not this week, maybe not this month, but I think it would be a safe bet that it will be before the first expansion comes out. 5 months is a pretty damn long time to let this issue stagnate.

When Geralt said to Triss "stay with me", she replies: "she can’t do this again, with you. You both had your chance"
I think the chance here is the event after Witcher 2 :p, when they started go their way, Geralt didn't do anything so Triss thought it is over :D

So the line after: " I love you" mean this time Geralt finally express his feeling to Triss, that why she stay :p

Is in the Witcher 1 and 2 Geralt ever said "i love you" to Triss ?

They will eventually say something. I feel like they have to at this point. As you said, this thread has become too big to ignore forever. Will we like their answer? That has yet to be determined. When will they answer? I also, don't know that one, but I feel like it will be soonish. Maybe not this week, maybe not this month, but I think it would be a safe bet that it will be before the first expansion comes out. 5 months is a pretty damn long time to let this issue stagnate.
If they answer now, that mean they admit this is a issue, and have to fix soon. So developer just keep silence and when have time, they can change and announce later .....

Last edited:

I don't think he's ever outright said it like that. The only intimation that it could be something more is when he gives her the Rose of Remembrance.

"Legend has it they wilt unless nourished with blood or if they're sold. But give it to someone you love and it'll live forever."
"I want you to keep it. If there's any truth to the legend, it shouldn't wilt. Even if you pluck a petal or two."

This seems to suggest that he has more than just feelings of "likeness" toward her. It's been quite a while since I have played the first one though. Don't think he says it then but I can't remember for sure. :X

When Geralt said to Triss "stay with me", she replies: "she can’t do this again, with you. You both had your chance"
I think the chance here is the event after Witcher 2 :p, when they started go their way, Geralt didn't do anything so Triss thought it is over :D

So the line after: " I love you" mean this time Geralt finally express his feeling to Triss, that why she stay :p

If they answer now, that mean they admit this is a issue, and have to fix. So let keep silence and when have time, they can change and announce later .....

No. In fact until Witcher 3, the only time he ever said it was to Yennefer, and it was a very touching and profound moment.

But he could say like "I will never leave you."

"I can't know what the future holds. I don't know what else is hidden in my mind. Whatever it is, whatever happens, I don't want to lose you. I'd have to be an utter fool and complete ingrate to let you go."

Definitely more than just "likeness" between them. :heart: For a man like Geralt, who has always been a bit detached from his emotions, to make such a striking confession, it must mean something.

Last edited:
I don't think he's ever outright said it like that. The only intimation that it could be something more is when he gives her the Rose of Remembrance.

"Legend has it they wilt unless nourished with blood or if they're sold. But give it to someone you love and it'll live forever."
"I want you to keep it. If there's any truth to the legend, it shouldn't wilt. Even if you pluck a petal or two."

This seems to suggest that he has more than just feelings of "likeness" toward her. It's been quite a while since I have played the first one though. Don't think he says it then but I can't remember for sure. :X

I don't remember Witcher 1. But in Witcher 2 i think only that line :D
The thing i don;t like is when i save her from Niffgard's camp, Geralt said: "i kill the entire camp for a friend" FRIEND .....
And also Yennefer in the letter early game also call Geralt FRIEND .... Skellige call him FRIEND again

Make me feel like Geralt has been friendzone :)

Make me feel like Geralt has been friendzone

I think there's just too much between them all to sum it up nicely in a sentence or two. Seriously, look how long my post just about Triss's and Geralt's reunion is. "Friend" might just be easier to say. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

---------- Updated at 06:50 AM ----------

Wonder if we will get to 2000 posts tonight. ;)

I don't remember Witcher 1. But in Witcher 2 i think only that line
The thing i don;t like is when i save her from Niffgard's camp, Geralt said: "i kill the entire camp for a friend" FRIEND .....
And also Yennefer in the letter early game also call Geralt FRIEND .... Skellige call him FRIEND again

Make me feel like Geralt has been friendzone

I know! i mean after everything, he referred to her as a friend, i didn't like that at all but it is one of those things you can't change.

---------- Updated at 06:52 AM ----------

I think there's just too much between them all to sum it up nicely in a sentence or two. Seriously, look how long my post just about Triss's and Geralt's reunion is. "Friend" might just be easier to say. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Wonder if we will get to 2000 posts tonight.

True, Geralt isn't exactly known for sharing his feelings, so saying friend at least implies that she is important to him. Also only around another 160 posts till the 2000th post and possible the 200th page!

I think there's just too much between them all to sum it up nicely in a sentence or two. Seriously, look how long my post just about Triss's and Geralt's reunion is. "Friend" might just be easier to say. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Wonder if we will get to 2000 posts tonight. ;)

Yeah i read all of your post, still i think call her "friend" still sound somehow ridiculous :D, even right after chatting with Niffgard's captain
Captain: Why do you risk yourself for the soccesress
Geralt: Let just say we are close
Captain: I knew it ! You in love with her ....
Well just say now i focus on Witcher 3 i never have to hear that line again :D

True, Geralt isn't exactly known for sharing his feelings, so saying friend at least implies that she is important to him. Also only around another 160 posts till the 2000th post and possible the 200th page!
Sometime i hope we can slow down a little, everytime i wake up have to read 20 pages , dont want to miss any details :D

Last edited:
Well just say now i focus on Witcher 3 i never have to hear that line again

I will still replay W2 sometimes mainly for the early sections where there is lots of Triss. :p

---------- Updated at 07:02 AM ----------

Yeah i read all of your post, still i think call her "friend" still sound somehow ridiculous

I do admit that it sounds weird. :X Look at W3 as a chance to finally confess your feelings. :p

I know what you mean, it is like if you sleep for five or six hours, you have already missed 15 pages

Partially my fault. :X But no, it's you guys that are keeping me busy with new stuff. When I woke up this morning I decided to try to comment on everything posted overnight. Took me almost an hour to formulate my first post of the day. And it was quite long. :eek:

"I can't know what the future holds. I don't know what else is hidden in my mind. Whatever it is, whatever happens, I don't want to lose you. I'd have to be an utter fool and complete ingrate to let you go."

And yet he does... at least until we get the reins back :)

And yet he does... at least until we get the reins back

Like I said in my reunion post a page or two ago, I don't think he had any intention of "letting her go". It was a mutual split where they decided to take some time and see what the other wanted. He certainly never planned on letting her go for good. Which, like you said, if it's one of us controlling him isn't the case at all. :p

Your interpretation of the between game thought processes matches mine.

It frustrated me a bit first time round that Triss responded somberly and depressed no matter what Geralt says. In hindsight i think it makes sense as she doesn't have any faith that he would choose her now Yen is back and is reading hidden meaning into any answer Geralt gives.

Think your summary says it all very well.

Thanks. Actually took me kind of a long time to write. :eek: I had to go back and watch some clips, a few different ones too, to see all that they had to say to each other. Like I said, there's no way of knowing for sure, but this is the most logical chain of events in my head. If their split wasn't amicable on either side, I think the likelihood of them, ahem, reconciling would have been quite low. Someone had to take a step forward (Geralt) and someone had to take a step back (Triss) to compensate.

In response to the Yen question, yeah that's basically my interpretation too. Just don't know what he could have said to make her happy in that situation. :X If anything you say yields the same result, why give us the choice? Also, which one of those is probably the best? I think the "I don't know" isn't entirely upfront, she might not believe it, but it's true. Geralt and Yen had a rather brief reunion and he didn't get the chance to establish exactly how she is.

To be fair, it's definitely a loaded a question. Is she really asking "How's Yen? Like how's her health, what's she up to?" Or is she asking "How's Yen? You guys back together? What does this mean for us?" Given the situation, it's probably the second one. She could also be taking a jab at Geralt for going looking for her in the first place, but I don't think that is really in keeping with her character. She's doesn't seem the petty type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom