Bad FPS with good machine

+
Bad FPS with good machine

I recently put together a new machine to play this game, and for two weeks I have been unable to play it at all. The problem is my FPS will spike very low, and then shoot back up. This will happen if I have max settings or the lowest settings I get frames as low as 16, and as up to the 60 cap. I have tried The past 4 Nvidia drivers, RTSS, and all patches so far with the same result. This issue is only happening with The Witcher 3, so Im guessing its not my hardware. Here are my specs.

i5-4690k
8GB
EVGA 970 Factory OC - currently on 353.06
EVO 840 SSD
Windows 7 64-bit

Any help would be welcomed, and I welcome any suggestions. I just would like to start to be able to play.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Try removing hairworks, see if those fps dips disappear maybe? To me this is the main cause of FPS inconsistency.

I have tried that. When I turned all my settings to low I made sure that hairworks was turned off. There was no change in the jumps when I did so.

How are your system temperatures in-game? If you open RTSS in-game, what does it show during these dips? What happens if you play without the factory overclock?

Last edited:
You might want to monitor your GPU / CPU / disk usage? See where the bottleneck is. Maybe some other process is sucking some juice out of your system. I can't think of any other reason for your setup to lack performance in every setting.

Turned off the OC, and nothing changed. My GPU was running at 68c, RTSS shows the dip happen. I will be getting 55-60 FPS, then it dips into the 20s before it goes back up.

i have the same issue...fps drop like hell from 60 to 30 and again to 60 (stuttering)in the same spot without any sense... i was think is my cpu problem because i have old q9550@3.7ghz with gtx970...but u have a i5 4690k...so...

What power supply are you using? How many watts? Please note that "as advertised" power supply wattage is usually PEAK - which is a whole lot different than sustained...

i have the same issue...fps drop like hell from 60 to 30 and again to 60 (stuttering)in the same spot without any sense... i was think is my cpu problem because i have old q9550@3.7ghz with gtx970...but u have a i5 4690k...so...

Turn off Vsync in game and use Adaptive Vsync from Nvidia Control Panel (or dont use Vsync at all, but then you get screen tearing, or use gsync if money is not an issue). Problem solved, you're welcome. I knew that your problem is Vsync the moment you said that your framerate drops to exactly 30 fps. That's Vsync's most notorious calling card. If you want a technical explanation of why and how it's happening, I can give you that too, but's long and boring. And it's a middle of the night. Just trust me. Turn off Vsync.

I use a 650 Watt Power supply. I have have Battlefield 4, and DA:I also on my HDD any i can run both of those at max settings with zero issues.

I have gtx 980 sli and have similar problems its the latest patch and nvidia driver together thats causing this.
In my game sometimes i have weird fps drops out of nowhere.

Turn off Vsync in game and use Adaptive Vsync from Nvidia Control Panel (or dont use Vsync at all, but then you get screen tearing, or use gsync if money is not an issue). Problem solved, you're welcome. I knew that your problem is Vsync the moment you said that your framerate drops to exactly 30 fps. That's Vsync's most notorious calling card. If you want a technical explanation of why and how it's happening, I can give you that too, but's long and boring. And it's a middle of the night. Just trust me. Turn off Vsync.

is not vsync...i have already try don't change nothing with frame drop if have vysnc on or off or adaptive 60 to 30 to 60 was just example....
60 to 55 to 45 to 35 and going back to 60 in the same place just wait...

something with physx is wrong.... because all 900 series use Physx = CPU instead of Physx = GPU (with old series work) and for me this cause stuttering...

ps.. my psu is enermax infinity 720watt

Last edited:
is not vsync...i have already try don't change nothing with frame drop if have vysnc on or off or adaptive 60 to 30 to 60 was just example....
60 to 55 to 45 to 35 and going back to 60 in the same place just wait...

something with physx is wrong.... because all 900 series use Physx = CPU instead of Physx = GPU (with old series work) and for me this cause stuttering...

ps.. my psu is enermax infinity 720watt

The way you described your problem is a vsync issue. If you were just giving examples, than "60 to 30 to 60" is the worst example you could give because that clearly points to vsync. Also Adaptive Vsync has an option called Half-Refresh, dont use that one. And the fact that you tried "vysnc on or off or adaptive" tells me that you dont really know what vsync does, and you're just trying all kinds of combinations and hoping for something to work.

The only suggestion I can give you is to give us the exact settings you have in-game and the exact settings you have in the control panel and than maybe we can spot something and help you out.

And no, all 900 series dont use Physx = CPU, that's a setting in NCP, you can choose whatever you want, CPU, GPU or a dedicated GPU if you have another card. Just go into settings and change it to Physx = Auto (which will set it to GPU anyway).

i have try vsync off ingame and all setting default on nvcp...so i can reach more than 60fps...but stuttering is there....75 to 40 to 35 and going back to 75 in the same place without do anything... on all low setting ingame...

ps ofc i have try to force gpu physx in my nvcp but the problem of physx still there and i m not only the one with 900 series and this issue...

Well I have a 970 and I can choose whatever I want for Physx. Dont know what else could cause the problem.

skywalker991

I recently put together a new machine to play this game, and for two weeks I have been unable to play it at all. The problem is my FPS will spike very low, and then shoot back up. This will happen if I have max settings or the lowest settings I get frames as low as 16, and as up to the 60 cap. I have tried The past 4 Nvidia drivers, RTSS, and all patches so far with the same result. This issue is only happening with The Witcher 3, so Im guessing its not my hardware. Here are my specs.

i5-4690k
8GB
EVGA 970 Factory OC - currently on 353.06
EVO 840 SSD
Windows 7 64-bit

Any help would be welcomed, and I welcome any suggestions. I just would like to start to be able to play.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Try uninstalling the game! sorry couldn't help.
have similar problems and pretty much the same rig (just in sli), spent a number of hours fiddling with various options, reading forums, trying to figure out what's wrong and concluded that uninstalling the game is the best way forward. I'm not CDPR game tester. Will wait until devs get their act together. Should take a dozen or so patches and 6+ months = "enhanced" edition

i fixed mine by resetting my bios back to default settings. i know it may sound bizarre, but after the 1.04 patch and nvidia driver update (the driver that is meant to enhance the witcher 3) my pc lost almost half of it's processing power. all of my games had to be run on lower settings, including the witcher 3. A friend had the exact same problem, so he reset his bios too - and it worked. i have no idea how a patch/update could affect the bios, but it did. I have heard of other people having a similar problem to what i had. Now i can run the game with everything (bar foliage) on ultra settings at 1080p and get a constant 60 FPS

Top Bottom