Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason why this happens though is because they never intended to let us Romance Triss.

There was no issue with the player not getting to know Yennefer enough before making a choice because there was no choice to be made.

They clearly for some insane reason way way way underestimated the importance of Triss to a lot of fans as Geralt's primary love interest even though it was their doing by building her character up so much in the previous games.

They wrote the whole story and built most of the game before someone over at CDPR got a clue and they realized they needed to make Triss vs Yen a player choice not a CDPR choice, but it was way too late to do it right at that point, in fact the whole story and game flow would have had to be re done.

So what we got was a Triss romance shoehorned into a story that was written and a game flow that was designed without it, thats why it feels so off.

They fu*ked a character THEY built up in two games. They realized that too late though...

---------- Updated at 08:35 PM ----------

I've come to the conclusion that the easiest fix would be to give Triss a dedicated Kaer Morhen arrival sequence between ugly baby and before you leave Kaer Morhen for Brothers in arms. Give Triss a kiss there for those who romanced Triss alone, a few lines with Geralt and the witchers and maybe even a exchange of heated words with Yen. Something that acknowledges the relationship, filling the void that exists in the base game. Do that and neutralise the later kiss into a warm hug or a peck and whilst Kaer Morhen wouldn't be perfect it would be much more acceptable.

That's a start. But they need to add something in Skellige as well, something like Philippa in the sun stone quest. And some Ciri reactions as well

That's a start. But they need to add something in Skellige as well, something like Philippa in the sun stone quest. And some Ciri reactions as well

I think Ciri reaction somewhere like bald mountain to all relationship situations would fit in the nice to have section for me. Just as reaction from the likes of Zoltan/Dandelion would be nice too.
A fix for Kaer Morhen absence, a fix for the kiss and a few lines on the boat guarding avallac'h in Skellige instead of just the default 'Well' are the three points where i think action is essential to rid me of the sense of disappointment that plagues me amidst my enjoyment of the limited material that does exist.

Hello everybody - sorry for tuning in a little bit later today. I had some stuff to take care of. I'm glad to see the thread is still going strong. :) We're almost up to 700 votes - probably within the next couple of days we will get there. :p I'm going to try to get caught up from last night now

All these little short stories you guys keep doing makes me all the more sad for realising what could of been, but sadly wasn't.

I know. :X Part of why we craft these little stories and dialogues - we can sort of mentally add them to the game ourselves. Helps to bridge the gap between what we had and what should've been.

Geralt basically act like a teenager neae his crush most of the time, and the other half, as a servant being ordered around and treated like s... T.

Yeah, that was part of what I didn't like. Geralt is utterly eclipsed by Yen and he is utterly subjective to her. I just don't care for their relationship dynamics as a whole. :X I know something about her draws him to her and they love each other but that doesn't make the relationship any less caustic.

If you do Skellige beforehand it feels somewhat better. Geralt sees Yen, decides his feelings have changed and ends things. Going there after romancing Triss isn't pleasant(did that first time round) as there is no reactivity.

I agree. I haven't done it yet but I can imagine that this will make the narrative flow much more smoothly. Just a question, are you skipping Novigrad entirely and going straight to Skellige? I was leaning toward doing the first quest or two in Novigrad and then heading off. Saving most of the major Triss stuff until after the Last Wish has been dealt with. I think from a narrative standpoint, this will feel better than skipping it entirely. Geralt and Triss will have seen each other again and it will be clear that there is still something is between them. Kind of feels weird to think about breaking the bond with Yen and leaving her without having a backup plan. Namely Triss. :p

I followed her wishes first time round with torture. 2nd time round i tried to axii them. Vastly preferable not only because Triss doesn't get tortured, there's a sweet caring scene between them where Geralt explains that he couldn't let them hurt her and in later scene with spy Geralt's dialogue has a greater degree of flirtation.

I let them go through with the torture the first time and I found it satisfying that Triss was the one to ultimately finish him off. But if you say there is a few more lines of Triss buried in there somewhere perhaps I will do this the next time through. :eek:

If they do that then I hope they'll do a Yen DLC as well.

More Triss and Yen content would always make me happy. I'm sure everyone would agree with that.

And maybe a bit more Lambert and Eskel as well. I felt those two characters didn't get enough screentime either. Especially Eskel. I know he doesn't seem like the most interesting character but truth be told I thought the same about Lambert until I did his side-quest.

I think Eskel and Lambert are great characters with great potential. The quest where they all get drunk and put on pieces of Yen's outfit has proven that. We need more of that good stuff in TW3.

Hell, I hope they include more of everybody. I know if they did a Mass Effect Citadel-DLC it probably wouldn't be as rewarding/meaningful to the overall story of the game but we could get to spend a little more time with these beloved characters. I certainly wouldn't say no. :p I think it could payoff too though. A lot of my grief, now having had some to think about it, is not just the Triss stuff but it's honestly that a lot of characters deserve some more screen time. More Zoltan and more Dandelion would always be good, right? :)

I've come to the conclusion that the easiest fix would be to give Triss a dedicated Kaer Morhen arrival sequence between ugly baby and before you leave Kaer Morhen for Brothers in arms. Give Triss a kiss there for those who romanced Triss alone, a few lines with Geralt and the witchers and maybe even a exchange of heated words with Yen. Something that acknowledges the relationship, filling the void that exists in the base game. Do that and neutralise the later kiss into a warm hug or a peck and whilst Kaer Morhen wouldn't be perfect it would be much more acceptable.
adding in the rose and some dialog in the tent before the last fight like with yen instead of GOOD LUCK!!

I think that's the worst about how the romances are handled. First you spend an entire arc with Triss, then you spend an entire arc with Yen and at no point do you get the to see the two ladies together at the same time. Unless you already made up your mind at the start of the game who you wanted to romance, chances are you're gonna end up with the threesome ending and feel duped. I think that is really poor game design and possibly the worst part of how the romances are handled in TW3.

For the record, never read the books...didn't play TW1 or TW2 but I chose Yen the first time through...they did a GREAT job on her I think. It might be lost on the MOST Trisscentric of this thread but...I really liked how she softened up a was really special with Geralt...then you get bring Ciri back and thats it...DAMN, I knew if we had kids she would loose interest!!! ;)

I do hope in the coming Expansions, they drop a module in that puts Yen and Triss in the same room story together with Geralt before you CAN decide...it would be great fun I thinks!

On a quick side note, if you haven't experienced it, find the videos of Yen at KM when you first arrive and go to her room(the destroying the bed part)...the conversation about the bed are indeed different if you are romancing her vs.Triss! I think there could have been more things like this scattered throughout.

---------- Updated at 04:04 PM ----------

The reason why this happens though is because they never intended to let us Romance Triss.

There was no issue with the player not getting to know Yennefer enough before making a choice because there was no choice to be made.

They clearly for some insane reason way way way underestimated the importance of Triss to a lot of fans as Geralt's primary love interest even though it was their doing by building her character up so much in the previous games.

They wrote the whole story and built most of the game before someone over at CDPR got a clue and they realized they needed to make Triss vs Yen a player choice not a CDPR choice, but it was way too late to do it right at that point, in fact the whole story and game flow would have had to be re done.

So what we got was a Triss romance shoehorned into a story that was written and a game flow that was designed without it, thats why it feels so off.

Thats my story too and I am sticking to it...

The main reason I am...to accept that is NOT the case is then to say that CDPR f**ked it up ROYALLY! I mean the state of the later story where the romance decisions are concerned are atrocious!!! So I just won't believe it got like that from anything other than a decision implemented too late to fix correctly and then they were too far in to fold! So they doubled down and went all in!

It annoys me that the game doesn't remember if I saved Triss or not in the second game. Surely that should have some impact on Geralt's relationship with Triss?

The rose of remembrance should be not dried out IF you saved Triss from nilfgaardian camp in the W2. I mean should be basic right?

Last edited:
I agree. I haven't done it yet but I can imagine that this will make the narrative flow much more smoothly. Just a question, are you skipping Novigrad entirely and going straight to Skellige? I was leaning toward doing the first quest or two in Novigrad and then heading off. Saving most of the major Triss stuff until after the Last Wish has been dealt with. I think from a narrative standpoint, this will feel better than skipping it entirely. Geralt and Triss will have seen each other again and it will be clear that there is still something is between them. Kind of feels weird to think about breaking the bond with Yen and leaving her without having a backup plan. Namely Triss. :p

I let them go through with the torture the first time and I found it satisfying that Triss was the one to ultimately finish him off. But if you say there is a few more lines of Triss buried in there somewhere perhaps I will do this the next time through. :eek:

I did Triss rat quest and up to where you meet Priscilla after she sings the song about Yen. Felt most natural point to leave both because Yen song stirs up desire to see if there's anything left between them and immediate trail to Dandelion isn't completely straightforward. Also knew if if did Count Reuven treasure i wouldn't be able to stop myself responding to Triss asking me to come over and i'd be in thick of Novigrad quests and not want to leave at all. Worked as once you finish Skellige you are prompted to go back to Novigrad. Only downside is you are leaving Dandelion in captivity longer.

Yeah i think the non-torture route is probably what they expected Triss romancers to go down, considering how the extra quest felt. Also felt more natural that Geralt might let them slap Triss but he's going to try and stop them doing god knows what to her even if it's with an unwise axii. First time round like you i went the other way because i thought there was more content and to allow Triss to finish him off.

Unfortunately breaking up with Yen in her quest before doing the Triss acr wouldn't make sense. The whole point of the scenes is about a confused Geralt and an already defeated Triss. Otherwise (unless he preferred the lone wolf route), he would tell her this very relevant information the moment she sees her again. And Triss would cancel her plans about leaving immediately. They would have to redo most of the scenes to accommodate this and imho they are perfect as they are.

Because later in the docks, it is shown that the possibility of never seeing her again, makes his love for her overcome both whatever feelings he might have for Yen AND the djin spell that binds him.

In gwent terms, Triss and Geralt love equals a Geralt card, while his feelings for Yennefer are a Zoltan and the bond is, say, a Desmond.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ciri is just as good if not BETTER a protagonist than Geralt. Sorry man.

:)

I totes want a Ciri game.
Can't get enough Ciri.

Attachments

• 1433698274774.jpg
    1433698274774.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 65
The rose of remembrance should be not dried out IF you saved Triss from nilfgaardian camp in the W2. I mean should be basic right?

I'd have liked the rescue to be referenced but given the lack of import references its absence was hardly surprising.
As for rose i don't really mind its dried up. Either you can interpret it as 'Elven legends are myth but the words and feelings behind the gift are what matter' or 'due to his lack of memories and the presence of wish' the magical properties of the rose didn't work. Personally i'm in the former camp anyway and think we should be able to give it back to her and declare the rose still matters for the reasons i stated.

I'd have liked the rescue to be referenced but given the lack of import references its absence was hardly surprising.
As for rose i don't really mind its dried up. Either you can interpret it as 'Elven legends are myth but the words and feelings behind the gift are what matter' or 'due to his lack of memories and the presence of wish' the magical properties of the rose didn't work. Personally i'm in the former camp anyway and think we should be able to give it back to her and declare the rose still matters for the reasons i stated.

When you give the rose back to Triss, the game doesnt give you the chance to say something sweet and nice. This option should have been possible only for all the players who romanced her in W2. Nothing would have changed in the main romance but it would have been a cool reference as you said

Unfortunately breaking up with Yen in her quest before doing the Triss acr wouldn't make sense. The whole point of the scenes is about a confused Geralt and an already defeated Triss. Otherwise (unless he preferred the lone wolf route), he would tell her this very relevant information the moment she sees her again. And Triss would cancel her plans about leaving immediately. They would have to redo most of the scenes to accommodate this and imho they are perfect as they are.

Because later in the docks, it is shown that the possibility of never seeing her again, makes his love for her overcome both whatever feelings he might have for Yen AND the djin spell that binds him.

In gwent terms, Triss and Geralt love equals a Geralt card, while his feelings for Yennefer are a Zoltan and the bond is, say, a Desmond.

I don't really agree. Geralt returning & picking up during her second quest can be damned scared he's already burnt his bridges with Triss. He tries to flirt and ends up kising her, yet she keeps pulling away and maintaining the distance. Geralt isn't someone who easily spills his guts imo and it takes a moment where he's about to lose her for good for him to expose himself completely and lay his feelings bare, knowing full well there's a chance she'll walk away and leave him broken.

---------- Updated at 09:32 PM ----------

When you give the rose back to Triss, the game doesnt give you the chance to say something sweet and nice. This option should have been possible only for all the players who romanced her in W2. Nothing would have changed in the main romance but it would have been a cool reference as you said

The annoying thing is the game doesn't allow you to give the rose back to her, just raise it as a conversation topic and not really a romantic one either.
So yeah the game should allow the player to return the rose later once they are re-established as a couple with a chance to say something sweet and nice.

Like I've said before, after KM I feel like the romance interests went to the back burner with Ciri becoming the main focus of Act 3. Which is fine, but the romance choices needed to be more included in Act 3 because as of right now it feels like your choice doesn't really matter other than choosing who you retire with in your slideshow.

100% agreed. Both romances need some work after Kaer Morhen. I think Triss is more striking though because, at least this is the way I see it, there is no reason why she couldn't have been given more something. More anything at this point. A talk before the final battle? Help with some of the battle preparations? At least Yen helps you with Ciri, which is okay by me, since, y'know, family dynamic and stuff. And it's not necessarily wanting more intimate/romantic moments per se, but just moments in general. It doesn't matter what you're doing with someone, just so long as they are they. The simple fact that they are together goes a long way. Take Triss's first quest, with the rats, for example. They aren't intimately involved at that point but that quest is so much better simply because she is there with you. Imagine if you met up with her and she gave you the details about the rats and left you to take care of them on your own while she did something else. And then you meet up later somewhere to talk? That wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying. :X

I know it sounds cool and all, but what's the point? Im still gonna romance Triss and the lack of content and the inconsistency is still gonna be there after novigrad

It will help to cushion the blow a bit. It won't seem so long before she shows up at Kaer Morhen again. Like I ran all over Skellige looking for Ciri for dozens of hours. She should've been there at that point during my first play through. If I send her off just prior to that, maybe I can trick myself into thinking, okay well maybe she just got lost or something. I'm sure she's on her way. It will also fit better with the narrative in my head. How can Geralt tell Triss he loves her if he still has that damnable wish hanging over his head? I think that needs to be taken care of first so that you can make your choice with a clear head.

I dunno. Maybe the Rose dried up because he left? Which isn't going to change so we have to get used to that fact. He left and there wasn't any more love between them to nourish the Rose. Once wilted, maybe nothing could bring it back. That's why I think adding a small side quest to get her a new one would be quite rewarding.

Ahh, Gwent terms. Certainly something I can understand. I do love me some Gwent. :heart: Nothing quite as satisfying as having a Monster deck use all their rallies (crones, vampires, arachas) and then decoying your way out and passing so they have nothing for the coming rounds. XD I know, off topic, but like I said, I do love me some Gwent. :p

I think the Rose should have come into play only after locking in the romance. Because he would tell her something nice and that his love for her never dies or something but you still have the option of picking Yennefer and possibly crushing her heart. That's why I favor giving it back to her or getting a new one sometime later in the game. Like in Kaer Morhen or sometime shortly after, like in Novigrad for instance. :eek:

Well, this one is the most cute screenshot I have (more then 600)

No time for a levitation spell, tippy toes will have to do. And yes it was a lovely cute touch. Feels strange they did some of the moments so well but they just fell down in terms of providing the satisfying experience at other moments. So frustrating.

I've been watching some videos trying to decide if I am in for another play through (leaning toward yes, because I want to see if shuffling the mission order will help and if it does, how much it will help) and in the prologue Geralt says something rather interesting. When Yennefer tells him to check Velen and Novigrad, she mentions Triss. Geralt's reaction is, "Triss? I'm sure she'll be delighted to see me..." And he said it sort of sarcastically, like she really wouldn't be delighted to see him. Was he the one to break it off in between the games? Hmmm. Questions, questions. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom