Ciri as the 'Next Geralt': Yay or Nay?

+
Not sure if this has been posted already but this is one of the biggest "Which Witcher 4 protagonist?" polls I've found so far.
Almost 3k votes (was posted on reddit)

http://strawpoll.me/4620274
I remember that one. She's obviously popular enough that I think she could carry her own game. She requires some rebalancing and reworked gameplay mechanics, but they've done that for Geralt pretty much every game. Witcher 2 played completely different from Witcher 1, and 3 had numerous improvements over 2. It's really a matter of "Is CDPR interested in making a game for her"? I'm sure some devs are, but on the whole would they rather use her or do something else like Character Creation?

Even if they aren't interested in making a Ciri trilogy I'd like an expansion where we go world-hopping.

Not sure if this has been posted already but this is one of the biggest "Which Witcher 4 protagonist?" polls I've found so far.

I missed that one. Thanks for pulling it out.

I'm really not surprised that so many people want Ciri as a protagonist for a hypothetical next game. Obviously, such a game would need a lot of rebalancing; I doubt CDPR would just copy-paste Witcher 3 Ciri into the new game, as some folks in this thread seem to be worried about. Just because she's overpowered in TW3 doesn't necessarily mean she will be in future installments. It's all about how gameplay is tailored and balanced.

I don't think Ciri will hold a game on her own, unless she is depowered. It would be like playing as Elizabeth from the main part of Bioshock Infinate. About to die, just teleport.

She could never be as physically strong as a witcher, she cannot do signs or any other magic and no witchers' potions. Thus quite boring.

Now I would like to play as her more in Witcher 3; Geralt and her went to Toussaint so maybe an opportunity for Blood and Wine? Plus her powers allow her to become something of a mascot for CDPR, she can appear in any game as a cameo or more - time and space are no issue.

Maybe there won't be The Witcher 4

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt ---- very interesting article i found about CDP and the Witcher games

"Whenever it comes, The Witcher 3 will mark the end of an era for CD Projekt, the end of more than a decade of using Andrzej Sapkowski's world (what comes next, besides Cyberpunk, no one seems to know). It should cement CD Projekt Red as a big boy of game development, and The Witcher years will be remembered as a climb to greatness and a stepping into the limelight. But that light can be as unflinchingly harsh as it can dazzlingly bright, and no longer an underdog, CD Projekt Red will begin to feel the pressure of expectation."

I'm afraid if this is true there won't be anything after The Witcher 3, so there won't be a possibility for Ciri to be the next protagonist in The Witcher 4. I hope someone has better information and can shed light on the future of The Witcher universe. It would be such a shame if it would come to an end of this masterpiece of a fantasy universe.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-06-seeing-red-the-story-of-cd-projekt ---- very interesting article i found about CDP and the Witcher games

"Whenever it comes, The Witcher 3 will mark the end of an era for CD Projekt, the end of more than a decade of using Andrzej Sapkowski's world (what comes next, besides Cyberpunk, no one seems to know). It should cement CD Projekt Red as a big boy of game development, and The Witcher years will be remembered as a climb to greatness and a stepping into the limelight. But that light can be as unflinchingly harsh as it can dazzlingly bright, and no longer an underdog, CD Projekt Red will begin to feel the pressure of expectation."

I'm afraid if this is true there won't be anything after The Witcher 3, so there won't be a possibility for Ciri to be the next protagonist in The Witcher 4. I hope someone has better information and can shed light on the future of The Witcher universe. It would be such a shame if it would come to an end of this masterpiece of a fantasy universe.

"This is the last part of the trilogy, in which there will be a great finale of the story. However, this doesn't mean the end of franchise," CDPR CEO Adam Kicinski told Polish Press Agency"

"Franchise will be continued."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-screenshots-of-next-gen-rpg-the-witcher-3

"Franchise will be continued."

It COULD be continued. That's all.

And the "franchise" is bigger than just video games.

If they really want to honor the franchise AND maintain their creative standing they should step back from making more Witcher games after TW3. Extensive "sequalization" kills every good franchise sooner or later...

Last edited:
Do you mind If I use your words as a pattern for my humble and not very popular opinion? ;) It's not a direct answer to you but trying to generalising a little....

I believe if there is a Witcher 4 in the future then it will 100% be with Ciri as Protagonist.

Why? i dont think CDPR had no thought behind calling the Epilogue " Something Ends, something begins"
(i know thats the books epilogue aswell (No, it's not the books epilogue, but a spin-off, a funny joke Sapkowski wrote for a friend and finally publised, but nothing to do with the Geralt fo Rivia's original stories) but i still think there is reasoning behind this little detail)

Something Ends= Geralts tale
Something Begins= Ciris tale

The Epilogue was basically about the future of Ciri. I don't think so
The Witcher ending is likely the Canon they choose (marketing choose) (IMO) because its what she wants (Book Ciri would never ever consider becoming Empress and i dont think this point is invalid because game ciri changed blabla...we know very little about how ciri changed over the years, almost nothing tbh) Needed an easy way of finding differents endings in a Solomon's way
The Empress Ending never says she is crowned, so thats open aswell. Everything is open. It's hard to lock the door and throw out the key
the "bad" ending never says she is dead, she just doesnt come back to Geralt. Yes, like in books where is never writen that Geralt dies... The power of imagination.

The Overpowered Argument is something i cant understand. They made her overpowered because her flashbacks are just story, nothing else. you can't just start the fight again and craft oils, new armor, potions etc. playing as Ciri. (It was be more credible, more accurate don't make the player fight as her, but only some shorts video scenes. Fighting as Ciri doesn't make feel her closer, IMO True Ciri's story is not only about her fiighting skills) The teleporting thing could be limited by some sort of combo points or sometihng else. (If CDPR hadn't make the player fight as Ciri the teleporting power in combat system would never be a trouble).
It's not like Geralt was not overpowered (Geralt is less overpowered than books, normal enemies cannot see his moves and attacks... and some players claim that combats motions are TOO fast!)

Thank you :p

Last edited:

If they were to make a new Witcher, I'd suggest for CDPR to wait a couple of years until the next one. Maybe like 6 years or so just like Bethesda did with Fallout 4 (Almost 8 years of development to make the game) and have something to keep the fans happy meanwhile, in this case, Bethesda did Skyrim and CDPR can do Cyberpunk 2077. By that time, players will PROBABLY want a new Witcher game.

If they do make a new Witcher game, I'd like to play as Letho since he is my second favorite character (Geralt being first... Obviously) If it can't be with Letho then maybe a custom Witcher... as dumb as it may sound, it can actually work Why? Because if you guys remember Kaer Morhen still has the equipment to turn someone into a witcher. Maybe the game can start while the process of becoming a witcher is taking place, and in the torture bed you see your custom witcher. Either way, I'm fine with whoever CDPR chooses as a protagonist TBH.

.... Maybe the game can start while the process of becoming a witcher is taking place, and in the torture bed you see your custom witcher..

Doesn't that happen in Las Vegas... I mean... New Vegas... in another game, perhaps? Woludn't be that a sort of plagiarism? :p

Doesn't that happen in Las Vegas... I mean... New Vegas... in another game, perhaps? Woludn't be that a sort of plagiarism? :p

I don't think it would be, in new vegas you just wake up after getting shot in the head. I don't think getting getting mutated and getting treated can relate;)

I don't think it would be, in new vegas you just wake up after getting shot in the head. I don't think getting getting mutated and getting treated can relate;)

Just only the part of laying in the bed and customing your character by surgery/mutagens... who cares about details like these? :p

If they were to make a new Witcher, I'd suggest for CDPR to wait a couple of years until the next one. Maybe like 6 years or so just like Bethesda did with Fallout 4 (Almost 8 years of development to make the game) and have something to keep the fans happy meanwhile, in this case, Bethesda did Skyrim and CDPR can do Cyberpunk 2077. By that time, players will PROBABLY want a new Witcher game.

If they do make a new Witcher game, I'd like to play as Letho since he is my second favorite character (Geralt being first... Obviously) If it can't be with Letho then maybe a custom Witcher... as dumb as it may sound, it can actually work Why? Because if you guys remember Kaer Morhen still has the equipment to turn someone into a witcher. Maybe the game can start while the process of becoming a witcher is taking place, and in the torture bed you see your custom witcher. Either way, I'm fine with whoever CDPR chooses as a protagonist TBH.
Lambert is signaled out as the last Wolf Witcher to undergo the Trials. That said we have no real info on Bear or Griffen. We could make a custom Witcher from one of those schools. Also since Cat is involved in all sorts of messed up experiments, we could play as a female Witcher from there, assuming CDPR doesn't mind raping the lore.

It would be cool. However I suspect that the majority would have selected the Empress route especially as she states it is what she wants during that ending dialogue. Therefore it would not reflect that likely outcome in lore.

Also, the whole tone of Witcher 3 seems very much the passing of ages (unhumans being ethnically cleansed and fading into history generally; No more Witchers being created for years and those left dwindling away (in all schools) The ending itself has the same feel with Geralt reaching the end of his path; time for a real change perhaps into the later Medieval period. Or more speculatively, into another realm/ world.

Whatever it is, I would very much like to see a younger female protagonist like Ciri.

Nay, for the dream of one day having a Witcher game that features creating your own protagonist that brings one of the other Witcher schools back or even creates a new one. It seems like quite a stretch considering the Wolf School's medallion is such a big trademark of the series so even being trained by one of the original Wolf school witchers would be absolutely amazing.

I'll be the one guy that makes himself sound like an ass for saying I wouldn't be interested in a female main character at all. I have no problem with the people that prefer to play other genders of course, it's just not something that appeals to me, especially in such a deep game with relationships to cultivate with other characters. I think a best case scenario would be to recreate the Dragon Age: Inquisition system where you can be a male or female.

Nay, for the dream of one day having a Witcher game that features creating your own protagonist that brings one of the other Witcher schools back or even creates a new one. It seems like quite a stretch considering the Wolf School's medallion is such a big trademark of the series so even being trained by one of the original Wolf school witchers would be absolutely amazing.

I'll be the one guy that makes himself sound like an ass for saying I wouldn't be interested in a female main character at all. I have no problem with the people that prefer to play other genders of course, it's just not something that appeals to me, especially in such a deep game with relationships to cultivate with other characters. I think a best case scenario would be to recreate the Dragon Age: Inquisition system where you can be a male or female.

I agree with a lot of this, other than not wanting to play as a female protagonist.

For me, it's a case of not wanting to play as Ciri, specifically. I don't mind the character, but I like her as a supporting character. I think she works well as a character that Geralt interacts with, but not as the player-controlled character (though her short scenes in TW3 were fine). It's similar to Triss or Dandelion or Zoltan. I like them as supporting characters, but I wouldn't want to play as them. Okay maybe Dandelion would be funny, but the rest not so much.

I agree with a lot of this, other than not wanting to play as a female protagonist.

For me, it's a case of not wanting to play as Ciri, specifically. I don't mind the character, but I like her as a supporting character. I think she works well as a character that Geralt interacts with, but not as the player-controlled character (though her short scenes in TW3 were fine). It's similar to Triss or Dandelion or Zoltan. I like them as supporting characters, but I wouldn't want to play as them. Okay maybe Dandelion would be funny, but the rest not so much.

Ha! Playing Dandelion in some sort of quest like with Ciri would be pretty awesome if he's narrating it in an outrageous way that makes its to where you are fighting hundreds of bandits or such.

I think that Ciri's quests were pretty good and showed that she could have branching dialogue work for her but at the end of the day she just seems a bit too overpowered lorewise. Would prefer to get to actually play alongside her in the world as the game's next protagonist or be a potential romance option.

Top Bottom