Next Witcher Game Needs Harder Bosses

+
Next Witcher Game Needs Harder Bosses

The next Witcher game needs harder bosses. Now you may be saying that I'm crazy because some of the bosses are ridiculously difficult to beat. Yes, this is true on the first, maybe second play through. However, it seems like every boss in the game has a pattern of some sort that once you figure it out, becomes extremely easy to beat even on Dark Mode.

CDPR needs to create some boss fights that are so insanely difficult that the enemy will adapt to what you're attempting to do (like we do to them) so that if you keep doing the same tactic over and over, you will be defeated. Maybe this would only happen on the harder difficulties, but I would love for The Witcher to have one of the most ridiculous boss fights in gaming, just because it's that awesome to have.

From where i stand, this is not the Witcher game i 'd like to play.

In the first game most of the players were complaining about the Kikimore Queen 's fight. I, on the other hand, kept my patience and tried to find the way out of that cave. Once i 've found it, i was happy to know that, in every new playthrough, i wouldn't freak out by the impossible thing i had to do at the end of that chapter. It was all about know what you 're doing, OK, i was an experienced witcher, no problem.

Now, this is a very good thing for me. And it changed in the new game! In The Witcher 2 i know that every time i want to play the game, i have to be tormented by the Kayran. It's the most difficult fight i 've ever played (not included old games like Baldur's Gate). The Kayran is the reason i don't play T.W. 2 like crazy, like i did with the first game.

And again, i didn't complain.

But if CDP make even more hard fights, i don't know if it will be my cup of tea anymore. I don't see the point; The Witcher is not about impossible killings, but so many other things i don't find in other games. It wouldn't be good if they tried to keep us more hours on keyboard with cheap tricks, (like impossible fights), like other gaming companies.

The problem is, the Kayran is easy for someone like me even on Dark Mode. If they were to do something like this for the harder difficulties, would you have a problem? Make easy, easy, but make Hard, Hard. I see no reason why i should be able to face the Kayran and kill it with no issue every time I play. I see no reason why I should be able to face the dragon and kill it in two minutes with no issue.

At this point, not one of the boss fights are difficult for me. The people who want to be challenged should be challenged. That's why there are difficulty modes. Someone who isn't highly skilled at a game isn't going to go play Hard, Dark Mode, or Insane their first time out.

Also, the Kikimore Queen isn't even a fight in TW1. You just have to knock down the support beams with Aard.

Depends. If they are MMO or Dark Souls type difficult, I wouldn't want that. Complexity gets confused with difficultly , I would personally like a more character oriented approach instead of a player oriented one.
The idea of tactical approaches where character skills are more important than the players ability to rapidly press buttons or keys is far more appealing than monsters with huge health bars.

I know what you 're doing in kikimore queen's fight. :) I 've played the game 10 times at least.

I don' t have problem with difficulty modes, as long as they do what they promise.
My problem would be if The Witcher games changed into something that wasn't there in the first place. Like, an action, fight focused RPG. We have other games for that.

MarcAuron said:
Depends. If they are MMO or Dark Souls type difficult, I wouldn't want that. Complexity gets confused with difficultly , I would personally like a more character oriented approach instead of a player oriented one.
The idea of tactical approaches where character skills are more important than the players ability to rapidly press buttons or keys is far more appealing than monsters with huge health bars.
I agree, I don't want huge health bars, I want bosses that change their tactics and force you to use your skill rather than a repeating pattern to kill them. Each boss in TW2 had a pattern that once you learn it, makes them insanely easy (no matter the difficulty level). That's fine for Easy and Normal, but once you get to hard, the bosses should be adapting to what you're doing and change their tactics.

Forum veteran
There's plenty of complaining about the difficulty both ways. I'd say that means they got the difficulty just right—any harder and CDPR risks making their games unsuitable for older gamers. No need to shut out an entire demographic.

If only on harder difficulty levels, then maybe. It kind of eliminates the point of getting better, though. There's something to be said for being able to blow through a difficult boss fight because you know it so well. After all, I always thought that was the payoff.

Also, OP stole my 227. I demand an explanation.

227 said:
There's plenty of complaining about the difficulty both ways. I'd say that means they got the difficulty just right—any harder and CDPR risks making their games unsuitable for older gamers. No need to shut out an entire demographic.

If only on harder difficulty levels, then maybe. It kind of eliminates the point of getting better, though. There's something to be said for being able to blow through a difficult boss fight because you know it so well. After all, I always thought that was the payoff.

Also, OP stole my 227. I demand an explanation.
12-27 is my birthday. Since I'm in the US, our month goes first ;).

Some people gave up on the game because of it's difficulty. Any boss fight can become easy when you figure it out. If they make the game any harder we'll see mobs outside their headquarter with torches and pitchforks.

I think the game is hard enough.
And I still doesn't play dark mode.
I like to kick kyrans and dragons asses just 'cos I know how to fight them and I have build right my geralt.

You want challenge ?
Do as old timers do. Play in hard or dark without asign any talent or with a shitty weapon like club.

Go against letho with a fork or againts the operator without leveling your signs and with and empty inventory.

... And about myself ...

Do I wanna play addaptative bosses that learn my strategy ?
Hell no ! --- I get angry here ;)
I'm dumb . I don't want a videogame boss outsmart me.

I think they got the balance about right.

Honestly I would love to have seen more fights like the Kayran though as in unique, large and more complex.

Dragoonlordz said:
I think they got the balance about right.
The game was definitely too easy in its second half.
Even the general press noticed this, and that's something considering how they usually start an outcry every single time a game is a bit challenging.

I hope TW3 sticks to the idea of big & nasty bosses. I don't know if they should be harder though, but maybe more intelligent and tricky.

I think that the boss fights is one of the worst parts of TW2 (and I love the game), but the problem isn't the difficulty but the overall fights.

Some boss fights are really hard (Kayran/Letho for the first time) while others are too easy (Letho for the second time).

They could balance them but the problem isn't that, the problem is that they are boring (Third act boss), predictable(Any human boss), too reliant on QTE (Kayran and dragon), etc. They need to put a little more thought in boss fights, bringing in some witchery stuff (preparation and observation) and making them dynamic without having to use QTE's. They had the right idea with Kayren, having elements of preparation and stuff, but it failed because the pattern was unintuitive to get but once you figured it out it was incredibly easy.

The operator is already a frustratingly hard boss. If you ever feel that TW2 hasn't succeeded in making you want to smash your head into your screen or eat your keyboard, try that guy on dark or insane difficulty.

gregski said:
I hope TW3 sticks to the idea of big & nasty bosses. I don't know if they should be harder though, but maybe more intelligent and tricky.
The more nasty bosses, the better, but as I said in another thread, I would like to see them implemented in a more interactive way, with actual gameplay and direct control over the action, like Dark Souls, Monster Hunter or Shadow of the Colossus, and with way less quick time evens/cinematic stuff.

gregski said:
The operator is already a frustratingly hard boss. If you ever feel that TW2 hasn't succeeded in making you want to smash your head into your screen or eat your keyboard, try that guy on dark or insane difficulty.
Yeah, but it's hard more for its bad design (no room to move, very high damage on single hit, not very accurate controls, etc) than everything else.

I still see too many people who say that the game is really hard as is, but don't play Hard or Dark Mode. That's why I say that the boss fights should scale as you go up. Let easy be easy, let hard be hard, let Dark Mode or whatever be a true challenge for even the best of gamers. When I went through Dark Mode, there were bits that were more difficult, but the bosses felt the same for the most part.

Everyone has a different ability in games, but just because some people find easy or normal to be difficult, doesn't mean that the hardest difficulties shouldn't be an extreme challenge to the best gamers. I think that Dark Mode is fine in terms of the normal gameplay, but the boss fights leave a lot to be desired.

Also to the whole idea of not using signs, leveling up, or using better weapons is silly. I should be able to play the game as it's meant to be played and be challenged, not force myself to play a dumbed down version to do so. At this point the best challenge in the game is trying to die zero times, however, I find playing like that to be boring as you play in a way not to take chances.

Well, you can always play in Arena, which is harder than the story mode. I think after 2.0 they have the difficulty right. They appear to have made adjustments to regular enemies and not boss fights. I think the AI in Arena is pretty damn good, especially when fighting soldiers and mages.

Top Bottom