How open is Witcher 2?

+
How open is Witcher 2?

Hey,I've been scouring the internet for clues, but it seems murky at best; people are saying everything and anything. My question is to what extent is The Witcher 2 open? Is it at a sort of..oblivion stage of open-ness, where everything can be explored at the start, except without scaling content, so you can die horribly, or, is it like Mass Effect levels, where you can backtrack to old places, but its mostly hub-based. Orrr, is it like TW1, where once you go forth, you cannot return to locales in the last chapter? To be clear, I'm not asking this so I can botch up, then backtrack to rectify choices or anything. I'd just like to be able to go back and chase up a few side-quests I missed etcetera.

One location per chapter, no return, sorry. However locations are bigger and more complex than maps from W1.

Hm, well, thats a shame. I heard its one kingdom per chapter though; any truth to that? If its a whole kingdom to play in per chapter, well, i don't mind too much.

Vinaazaka said:
Hm, well, thats a shame. I heard its one kingdom per chapter though; any truth to that? If its a whole kingdom to play in per chapter, well, i don't mind too much.
I don't believe we know anything beyond the first chapter of the game. The areas aren't going to be small like chapter 1 of TW1. There will be more expansive areas, but The Witcher 2 isn't an open world game like The Elder Scrolls series.

Who knows what a chapter entails this time. But its true, once you complete it, no going back. So it's not like Oblivion, but its certainly much more open than Mass Effect ever was, with larger areas to explore. TW1 was like this as well.

psychopigeon said:
o god.. now how will it beat skyrim!!
Put a big, ugly facepalm here pal. Use your imagination.First of all TW is a story-driven RPG which means you're in control of events that occure and traveling to places in return of your choices. And TES series are like more of a GTA of RPG genre.

psychopigeon said:
Are you serious, do you actually consider this a bad thing? I think it's a good decision made by the developers, so they can put the focus more on the storytelling and make it more cinematic (not that this is always a good thing) and more immersive.As far as I know stuff about Elder scrolls, I think the two rpg are quite distinct, which I consider to be good for both games.

I'd like to be able to go to towns across the world, hire men to join my army them dominate the world. Kind of like mount&blade

psychopigeon said:
I'd like to be able to go to towns across the world, hire men to join my army them dominate the world. Kind of like mount&blade
Then play Mount and Blade. If you want open world play The Elder Scrolls series. The Witcher series has it's own formula.

psychopigeon said:
Well this is a silly request. Play an open world game if thats what you want. TW2 is a hybrid.

slimgrin said:
slimgrin said:
Well this is a silly request. Play an open world game if thats what you want. TW2 is a hybrid.
What part of it is hybrid? It's zones, you move from one to the other. Theme park.

The Witcher 2 will have better pacing than any boring sandbox. Think Call of Duty and Far Cry 2. Which is better ? Also exploration fans will be satisfied as well. The areas are big, complex and have many secrets.

psychopigeon said:
psychopigeon said:
psychopigeon said:
What part of it is hybrid? It's zones, you move from one to the other. Theme park.
Vizima, the Outskirts, the swamps - these are open areas. Go wherever you like, much different than ME or DA.But if you think it's nothing more than a theme park, and if you want to be an insipid little fanboy about it, then don't play it, and shut the hell up :)

W2 doesn't have an "open world' (more like open map really) like Oblivion/Skyrim, however, there is also the matter of fast travel: Witcher has no fast travel from location to location, and without it, it would be very tedious to play a game with an open map, where just going to point A to point B takes 20 minutes of running. Also, it has been stated in the preview trailers that some locations will only be reachable depending on the choices you make in-game, which I think adds a lot to the re-playability of the game.

psychopigeon said:
first of all i'm happy for what witcher 2 is.. it's a non-linear, arching story line based on player decision. open ended RPGs is a big no no to me. it's often boring and repetitive in my opinion.witcher 2 will beat skyrim for what it is.. probably skyrim actually need to fear witcher 2 for it's lustrous visuals.

psychopigeon said:
psychopigeon said:
psychopigeon said:
First you make a thread about how you can't wait. Now you are accusing it of being nothing more than a theme park kind of game. If the only thing you care about is an open world with the possibility of making an army, why are you here? Don't ask to change TW2 into something it's not and which doesn't need to be.

Top Bottom