First review ! Score 92/100

+
First review ! Score 92/100

Pc Format UK (Issue 253 June 2011) has reviewed The witcher 2 and gave it 92/100. Summary- involving combat- stupendous visuals- varied gamingIt's a full game review, but the code was not final (pre-release, unpolished version). So the score is pretty impressive :)

I doubt the build they played was much different from the final build but still a 92 is a great score. That's only one small step though, keep em coming!

my impressions on the review: they mistakenly attribute increased freedom and interactivity in combat to "consolization". i don't believe that is a console attribute. they did heap a ton of praise on this game in terms of visuals, optimization, dialog, and diversity. although they mentioned path finding issues.the same magazine gave operation flashpoint:red river an 85. so their credibility is a bit weak imo. i don't disagree with their witcher 2 scoring, i just think they characterized the game poorly due to their reviewer's arcade/action bias.

The first real review based on the final version is due out May 10, in the polish CD-Action. You guys can count on a translation from me.

Yeah you people keep reading a preview build review.....I will w8 for the real reviews on May the 17th

Well PC format UK also gave DA 2 a score of 95, and while I'm sure some people find that score justified I'm also sure alot of people would rate it lower. DA 2 still got a higher score than TW 2, so whether that means TW 2 will hold lower standard based on PC formats eyes or the fact that they have more love for BioWare as a developer and thereby rate it higher or if they just made a mistake is debatable.With that said reviews are only a tiny fraction of whether an opinion is more valid over another. Continuing on DA 2 (Not to drag down DA 2 but since it's the closest RPG game people know about here released in 2011) PC Gamer gave DA 2 a 94/100 and rewarded it RPG of the decade before the game in fact was released. (atleast I think it was PC Gamer who gave DA 2 that reward) This shows a bit how unpredictable an early review can be and how linear it can be based on that persons opinion alone.So what's then good with this review? Well two things. One it is a little reassurance that TW 2 will hold a similar standard to TW 1, which I think is the most major one of all. (After all, if TW 2 would be a flop with the anticipation after the mediocre rating of DA 2 I don't think people would have much respect remaining for any "promising" RPG game on a while) The second thing is of course it also won't have that big amount of flaws, crashes and bugs, causing the gameplay to be dragged down too much.And finally, players opinion is more valid than reviews (In most scenarios except if comes to DRM where pirates rate it 1 since they can't play it) since it is a more likely % on what you feel over the fact that what one guy feel. (With the simple logic that it will always be more players who'll play a game than reviewer.) But still remember that just cause a game is rated low or high doesn't mean it will be bad or good in your eyes.

Do not expect this to be a miracle game that will get 10/10 across the board.CD would be happy with 90 scores..

I don't jump on those early reviews anymore. Two Worlds Two got highest ratings all around - now who here thinks that is a good RPG? I didn't even get to the second patch, where they supposedly fixed their very own awesome button (every action on the same button, only it doesn't work as intended and the controls are still unresponsive). No, I'll wait some more... Thanks to M i k e anyway. :)

What were the negatives?Also, I find it odd that they're allowed to review a game based off preview code.

Exuro89 said:
Also, I find it odd that they're allowed to review a game based off preview code.
It's very unprofessional. If you only get to play a third then it can never be more then a preview.

also lets not forget that early reviews are always over positive. if they weren't than they wouldnt get an approval to be published ahead of the embargo lift. should be taken with a grain of salt.but looking at the game and reading about it doesnt live a lot of room for doubt. TW2 looks like a winner. even if the common review rates it as a 7.5 than it still seems like a game i'd gamle my money on. if it's below a 7 than i'd assume that indeed there's something to fear. but more than the score number what's most important for me in a review is reading WHY the score is not 100. the things than bothered the reviewer may not bother me and visa versa. for example, Fable 3 was rated pretty high but hearing that it's an awefully easy game made me lose interest in it, so even if it IS a 8.5 game by most reviewers, i dont think i'll enjoy it much (even though it has a HARDCORE mode in the PC version).

topeira said:
also lets not forget that early reviews are always over positive. if they weren't than they wouldnt get an approval to be published ahead of the embargo lift.
This is unfortunately the reality of reviews. Any review released before the game is suspect, NOT because they may or may not be reviewing an incomplete, or unoptimized game, but because they would not be allowed to publish their review if it was less than positive.I'm sure TW2 will be an astounding success. But this review is meaningless.

Whilst good reviews from certain magazines and websites are nice to have, I'm sure that CD Projekt will be much more interested in positive feedback from the people who buy the game. Hopefully the feedback from customers will be good and lead to prolonged, healthy sales figures.If you look at how quickly the price of DA2 has fallen in such a short space of time since release, along with the very mixed to poor customer feedback, this is the real review of that particular game.Personally, I don't set any stall whatsoever by magazine and website reviews, simply because most of their income is earned from developers and publishers, who pay for advertising in their magazine or website. In that sense, it's hardly what I would call objective critical reviewing. Having played DA2 and then read the various reviews, has more than added weight to my distrust of many reviewers "opinions".Personally, if anyone has doubts about a product, then I always suggest they hold back a few weeks, until they've had the opportunity to gauge what the general feeling is from genuine customers. Reading reviews on Amazon can be quite enlightening in this respect, as you'll generally get a broad spectrum of user reviews, that mainly pull no punches.Again, if you compare magazine/website reviews to genuine customer reviews on Amazon for DA2, you'll notice a glaring difference.As for myself, I pre-ordered Dragon Age 2 and I also pre-ordered The Witcher 2. I was far from happy with DA2. even though I'd not read any reviews of that game prior to release, trying to blinker myself, I had rather high expectations having enjoyed DA:O si much.I was heading pretty much the same way with The Witcher 2, trying to blinker myself to any hype. However, after my dismay at DA2, I decided to take a little more interest in what was happening with The Witcher 2, prior to its release. Although I've not taken any real interest in what reviewers have to say, I have taken a great deal of interest in the discussions and the Q&A's with the developers themselves, via this forum.So far, the game looks and sounds like it will meet and possibly exceed my hopes and expectations. Obviously I can only reserve final judgements and opinions until I've actually played the game though. Based on what I've seen and the willing openness of CD Projekt as a developer, they do seem to be genuinely interested in releasing a quality product that's deserving of praise and hopefully, healthy sales.If there's one thing I hope, along with the finished product being absolutely great to play, is that the game sells well. Along with healthy sales being good for CD Projekt, I really do hope that it would send a clear message out to other developers and publishers, that if you look after your customers, they in turn, will look after and support you.

Top Bottom