Alchemy...

+
Alchemy...

Hey guys, sorry if I've missed something already here on the forums.I've not played much but alchemy confuses me a little i.e. how it works etc. I think I understand it, but is someone able to offer some advice please or a guide?Thanks :).

After you obtain recipes you can click their name on the left to place the ingredients then you mix them by clicking on the vial icon. You need base for your potions, oils and bombs such as strong alcohol, high quality alcohol or white gull. Required bases vary according to what you're trying to brew. You obtain ingredients from monsters and plants mainly. To gather from plants you first need to read books about them. They can be bought or pilfered from inside the houses. The same thing goes for monsters as well. You buy the bases or loot them also. What matters about the ingredients is they're color code. For example both white myrtle and ghoul blood are vitriol ingredients having blue color code but they contain different substances. White myrtle contains albedo whereas ghoul blood contains nigredo.Each ingredient contains a special substance of several ones. Those are rubedo, albedo and nigredo. If you make a rubedo dominant potion aside from the potion's actual benefit you'll also gain some health regenaration for a limited time. Albedo reduces toxicity and nigredo improves damage but increases miss chance a little. Also don't forget to upgrade the skill about the monster and herb entries under the Intelligence section.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply :).I know it's daft but even the simple stuff confuses me. I take it every item in game, plants, drops etc, all have certain properties and it's these properties that derive from the items that you actually need, rather than the item (unless a rare mob item)?

Amarynthia said:
Hey, thanks for the quick reply :).I know it's daft but even the simple stuff confuses me. I take it every item in game, plants, drops etc, all have certain properties and it's these properties that derive from the items that you actually need, rather than the item (unless a rare mob item)?
well sort of let me explain it like this . Say you want to make a Swallow potion there are 2 ways of doing it (1) you can click on the vial icon when meditating and select the swallow on the left side of the screen and all ingredients including alcohol will be added automatically. or you can (2) add the alcohol yourself by dragging and dropping in the appropriate slot then add ingredients manually if you look at the swallow potion just to the left you will see it takes 1 Vitriol-blue, 2 Rebis-green,and 1 Aether-dark blue now if all of these ingredients have the same additional substance for example albedo then it will be less toxic for Geralt or if you use all rubedo then you will generate health faster and also nigredo will increase your chance of hitting opponents. You can also sort the ingredients by type by clicking the little arrow button just above the ingredients section this helps alotand no it`s not daft at all it took me several tries at making potions before i became a little familiar with what was going on and don`t forget "practice makes perfect" and if not perfect then at least better

When I first started playing The Witcher, I used the "click on the potion you want" method a lot, and this was a mistake. Sometimes the game chose items that I was saving for a quest, like, say, echinops rootstock. And it paid no attention at all to the extra substances, so it never made an albedo, rubedo, or nigredo potion.If you make a Cat rubedo, you get the see-in-the-dark properties of Cat, plus some healing. If you're playing on easy, or if you're going into a fairly low-level dark area, the rubedo can be enough that you don't need to take a Swallow.If I'm having a small fight, I probably only use Swallow, but if I'm preparing for a boss fight, I'm probably taking a whole bunch of things. I usually make Tawny Owl albedo, so when I'm doing extensive prep, I take that first, and the albedo makes the toxicity of the other potions less. You don't need albedo for more than one potion -- one albedo reduces your toxicity for every potion you take while it's active; you don't need to make every potion albedo. I usually make Swallow nigredo, since the Swallow gives me healing and the nigredo increases Geralt's damage. But Swallow and rubedo stack, so if you're going into a fight that you suspect will be especially tough, you can have Swallow AND rubedo, for extra-fast healing.

Corylea said:
When I first started playing The Witcher, I used the "click on the potion you want" method a lot, and this was a mistake. Sometimes the game chose items that I was saving for a quest, like, say, echinops rootstock. And it paid no attention at all to the extra substances, so it never made an albedo, rubedo, or nigredo potion.If you make a Cat rubedo, you get the see-in-the-dark properties of Cat, plus some healing. If you're playing on easy, or if you're going into a fairly low-level dark area, the rubedo can be enough that you don't need to take a Swallow.If I'm having a small fight, I probably only use Swallow, but if I'm preparing for a boss fight, I'm probably taking a whole bunch of things. I usually make Tawny Owl albedo, so when I'm doing extensive prep, I take that first, and the albedo makes the toxicity of the other potions less. You don't need albedo for more than one potion -- one albedo reduces your toxicity for every potion you take while it's active; you don't need to make every potion albedo. I usually make Swallow nigredo, since the Swallow gives me healing and the nigredo increases Geralt's damage. But Swallow and rubedo stack, so if you're going into a fight that you suspect will be especially tough, you can have Swallow AND rubedo, for extra-fast healing.
Excellent advice, thanks a bunch :D

Top Bottom