Overwriting save files...

+
Overwriting save files...

I finished the game today and I am gonna start a fresh playthrough on hard one of these days.Problem is I am getting really tired of manually erasing my hundrends of saves every time I turn the game off (If I dont I'll end up with gigs of saves...).Is there a mod or something that makes the game overwrite on the same quicksave slot?Relly, I dont think that the game this element was implemented is very practical...PS.I loved the game dont get me wrong, its just that this system got very tiresome from one point onward...

Yeah this games Autosave seems like it was designed just to piss me off. Seems to never save when I need it to resulting in me dying an having to do a bunch of stuff over. An then when I don't need it to save it keeps doing it resulting in me having to stop an delete all these autosaves piling up.Of course I finally figured out that it saves whenever you advance a quest then go through a door. But still I am considering just turning it off its so annoying. Would definitely have been better if it overwrites itself.

I don't think there is a save override mod.(I used to delete my saves one at a time from the game menu and then realised it's a lot quicker deleting them all at once from the C:\Documents and Settings\*\My Documents\The Witcher\saves folder. ::))

In EE version there's an option to disable autosave. You can also pause the game, switch to desktop, double click your shortcut to savegame folder and then delete files you don't want anymore. I agree it's a point that could be improved but it's minor now that you can disable autosave.

Seconded. This is a major problem and it's been overlooked by the devs for too long! There only needs to be one quicksave file that is overwritten with each quicksave. If we want a permanent saved game, WE ALREADY CAN DO THAT WITH A NORMAL SAVE. Saved games taking up GIGABYTES of space is ridiculous. My primary drive is a 36GB Raptor... after my first play through the game I discovered my boot drive was almost full with Witcher Quicksaves... before I had started only 11GB of 36GB were used.The default use of quicksave that us gamers have been programed to use is EARLY and OFTEN. Please FIX this.

Don't know what's the fuss with autosave, with me it just uses a 3 rolling autosave slots, quicksave on the other hand is frustrating so I stopped using it. I just go to the menu and manually overwrite my save. It took a while to get used to it, but now it's fine.

Autosave only uses a few slots, that's right. As for quicksaves, I never use that button. I have several regular saves which I overwrite manually as I play. I like how some other games have this advanced quicksave system, which uses, say, three reserved savegame slots and then cycles through them in order. That way, if you accidentally save the game when you're not supposed to (remember to keep your quicksave and quickload keys far enough apart! ;)) or the latest savegame becomes corrupt, there's always a previous quicksave to fall back to. It's a simple thing to program, I think.

Hamenaglar said:
Don't know what's the fuss with autosave, with me it just uses a 3 rolling autosave slots, quicksave on the other hand is frustrating so I stopped using it. I just go to the menu and manually overwrite my save. It took a while to get used to it, but now it's fine.
yup that`s the way I do it too. Quicksaves is what`s eating up the slots.

The whole fuss is about the quicksave system not working like a quicksave system.No one is going to die because of it, I just wanted to know if there was some mod out the that issued this "problem".

I clear the "Witcher" folder in My Documents from time to time, I usually save the last few + the first in every act if I'd ever need to restart that act for some reason. It's simple enough doing like that so I don't really see the need for a mod. The only problem is remembering doing it from time to time before starting the game. Also, the loading of the "Load Game" screen (that could take ages previously if you had lots of saves) seem to go much faster now in EE; I haven't cleared any saves since restarting, and it still takes not more than a few seconds.

Fiskrens said:
I clear the "Witcher" folder in My Documents from time to time, I usually save the last few + the first in every act if I'd ever need to restart that act for some reason. It's simple enough doing like that so I don't really see the need for a mod. The only problem is remembering doing it from time to time before starting the game. Also, the loading of the "Load Game" screen (that could take ages previously if you had lots of saves) seem to go much faster now in EE; I haven't cleared any saves since restarting, and it still takes not more than a few seconds.
Yup in general process of loading files is much much faster than in previous version of the game. I think that you just could play with I don’t’ know 10 or 15 saves. I always have like 5 of them and just overwrite them from time to time - this way not adding any more files.

Winding up with thousands or tens of thousands of quicksave files taking up many gigabytes of space is ridiculous. The game needs patched to overwrite ONE quicksave file. This is a stupid easy fix, and I think less of the Witcher devs the longer it remains. The SAVE folder should never be larger than the ENTIRE GAME FOLDER.

You know what's not fun? Going to manually overwrite a save file and having it crash while saving (literally), causing me to lose even MORE progress because the old save game is now corrupted :'(

Ryom said:
The game needs patched to overwrite ONE quicksave file. This is a stupid easy fix, and I think less of the Witcher devs the longer it remains. The SAVE folder should never be larger than the ENTIRE GAME FOLDER.
I disagree, since that would screw up the quickload function. Here, it simply loads your last save - which is exactly what I want. With the specific quicksave slot like in Oblivion, I often found myself loading the last quicksave, ending up in the wrong place and needing to load one more time :(. I often did a (unnecessary) quicksave just after a normal save just to prevent that. This system is much better IMO.

Then use a regular save occasionally, or rely more on the auto-save, or use your quicksave. That's three separate saves files to use already. Besides, it's not like they can't have it overwrite some REASONABLE number of save files sequentially either... have 5 quicksave files that are written sequentially. Like I said, this is a stupid easy fix and there is NO GOOD reason not to change it to something SANE.Caps for emphasis.

I agree the truckloads of quick-saves and auto-saves annoy me. Why these saves are not overwritten when I save again?And why in modern games you can't name your saved games. It was way better back in the old days when you could name your save like "Iku Turso's game" if someone else played the game he or she could see that's my game "Do not touch it or I rip your frigging guts out!". In Oblivion I run like in twenty different saved games and all are distincted with a simple number, oh well I wonder which one is my latest saved game? It's same thing in many FPS-games too. You can look at the date but the last saved game is not always the best. You could name your save depending on some spesific situation like "Danger, low on health" or simply make a backup.Please could someone bring back the feature so you can name your saved games. :)

Top Bottom