meteorite ore: when to enhance weapon?

+
meteorite ore: when to enhance weapon?

Not sure where to put this so, please feel free to move/merge this topic. :)So, I have 4 blue meteorite ore and 3 red meteorite ore. Is it worth upgrading the Witcher's steel sword? Should I wait until I get a better sword? I'm in chapter 2 right now. Thanks.

Morgora said:
Not sure where to put this so, please feel free to move/merge this topic. :)So, I have 4 blue meteorite ore and 3 red meteorite ore. Is it worth upgrading the Witcher's steel sword? Should I wait until I get a better sword? I'm in chapter 2 right now. Thanks.
Yeah, good time to upgrade. I favor the triple red meteorite sword, because Bleeding is devastating against humans.The triple blue is a good sword too; Precise Hit and Disarm are great in brawls. But you can find a better brawler's sword later in this act or in Act 3.

GuyN039wah said:
Yeah, good time to upgrade. I favor the triple red meteorite sword, because Bleeding is devastating against humans.The triple blue is a good sword too; Precise Hit and Disarm are great in brawls. But you can find a better brawler's sword later in this act or in Act 3.
Hmm, sounds like triple red it is then. Thanks! :)By the way, is a brawler's sword one of the non-witcher swords he can carry?

Okay, I'm going to give you some terrible spoilers :DBlue ores are better than red if you ask me. So go to forge a brand new pure blue meterotite sword, with three blue ores (do not mix the colors, you will have not so effective sword).This is a major spoiler:
I wouldn't care too much of the meteorite sword if I were you. In fact, on the Wyvern Island in the swamp, there's a pretty fine blade (the best until Act 4, imo) on a corpse. So you can fix it by doing a meteorite sword for a while, but then go run to the swamp and grab that awesome weapon :D

By "brawler's sword" I mean only that the sword is useful in group fights like the one in the slum warehouse. There's no weapon actually called that.The triple red meteorite sword is especially vicious because it causes Bleeding. This is a useful and rare critical effect.
Bleeding is the only critical effect that the mutants in Act V and the Epilog are vulnerable to.

secondchildren said:
Okay, I'm going to give you some terrible spoilers :DBlue ores are better than red if you ask me. So go to forge a brand new pure blue meterotite sword, with three blue ores (do not mix the colors, you will have not so effective sword).This is a major spoiler:
I wouldn't care too much of the meteorite sword if I were you. In fact, on the Wyvern Island in the swamp, there's a pretty fine blade (the best until Act 4, imo) on a corpse. So you can fix it by doing a meteorite sword for a while, but then go run to the swamp and grab that awesome weapon :D
secondchildren said:
The triple red meteorite sword is especially vicious because it causes Bleeding. This is a useful and rare critical effect.
Bleeding is the only critical effect that the mutants in Act V and the Epilog are vulnerable to.
Hmm, so does that mean I can find this new sword and then use the meteorite ore on it instead?

No, you can't upgrade any of the special swords that are already in the game.Meteorite swords and rune swords work a little differently. When you get a meteorite sword, the blacksmith forges a new sword for you from the meteorites. This sword is added to your inventory. It doesn't replace your steel sword. (But if you are carrying two steel swords already, you will have to drop one.) So it's possible to have a triple red sword and a triple blue sword at the same time, with your witcher's steel sword stored with the innkeeper.When you get a rune sword, the blacksmith uses the runes to upgrade your silver sword. It replaces your silver sword.

Not at all.You can use meteorite ores only to make a brand new sword. That sword I mentioned it's another kind of sword, you can't implement in any way. But you can still enhanced it with oils and temporary runes (like svarog, perun etc...)

So, I just give the meteorite ore to the blacksmith? Not the sword and ore? If it's just the ore, then I should leave my steel sword with the innkeeper so that I have an empty slot for the new sword?

Morgora said:
So, I just give the meteorite ore to the blacksmith? Not the sword and ore? If it's just the ore, then I should leave my steel sword with the innkeeper so that I have an empty slot for the new sword?
Yes, you just need the ore when you talk to the blacksmith. You'll get a special "forge weapon" icon. Click on that, and all of the different swords possible (this depends on the ores you are carrying) will be offered to you. For example, if you're carrying all your red and blue ores, you'll be offered four different swords.Stashing your steel sword with the innkeeper is a very good idea.

Personally I didn't really think meteorite swords were worth it when I was trying to save up for the armour in the same chapter. As mentioned above, you can get amazing benefits from exploring the darker areas of the world, which is quite preferable to spending money on obtaining meteorite swords. More fun too.

You can get a three-meteorite sword towards the end of Chapter 1, and I think it's worth buying one then, to have a better sword than your starting sword to use against the Beast. Once you're halfway through Chapter 2, though, you might as well go to that place in the swamps where the good sword is.

GeneralBalls said:
Personally I didn't really think meteorite swords were worth it when I was trying to save up for the armour in the same chapter. As mentioned above, you can get amazing benefits from exploring the darker areas of the world, which is quite preferable to spending money on obtaining meteorite swords. More fun too.
I agree about exploring the darker areas. :) Regarding the armor upgrade, that's what dice poker is for! ;)
GeneralBalls said:
You can get a three-meteorite sword towards the end of Chapter 1, and I think it's worth buying one then, to have a better sword than your starting sword to use against the Beast. Once you're halfway through Chapter 2, though, you might as well go to that place in the swamps where the good sword is.
Yeah, about that chapter 1, umm, I didn't have enough ore to make a sword and I, umm, missed a place or two and, umm, triggered the Beast quest and did some fancy footwork! ;)I will definitely check out the sword in the swamp before forging a new weapon. Thanks everyone! :)

Morgora said:
Morgora said:
I agree about exploring the darker areas. :) Regarding the armor upgrade, that's what dice poker is for! ;)
Hmmm..... I wouldn't call that "armour upgrade". Unless not until Act V :p
Morgora said:
Yeah, about that chapter 1, umm, I didn't have enough ore to make a sword and I, umm, missed a place or two and, umm, triggered the Beast quest and did some fancy footwork! ;)
Depends on the choice you did essentially in the Prologue. If you defend the laboratory, you get no ores. If you slay the Frrrrrrightener, you get ores :)
I will definitely check out the sword in the swamp before forging a new weapon. Thanks everyone! :)
Again, I think it's the very best until Act V :)

I rarely bother with the meteor upgrades and usually sell them. Instead, I focus on buying and finding as many alchemy recipes as possible so I can use oils, bombs, and potions. The sooner you do this, the better equipped you are for the later chapters. I think weapon upgrades in TW1 aren't worth fussing with honestly ( with the exception of the plot based ones )

The triple red meteorite sword is the only one I will always get -- either in Act I or early in Act II. If you have not yet tried using this sword against the "piss-swilling reptilesamphibians" on Hard, you are in for a treat.Weapon upgrades and oils/runes/grindstones stack, so there is no good reason to avoid using an upgrade sword. They're better value than the armor.

secondchildren said:
Yeah, about that chapter 1, umm, I didn't have enough ore to make a sword and I, umm, missed a place or two and, umm, triggered the Beast quest and did some fancy footwork! ;)
Depends on the choice you did essentially in the Prologue. If you defend the laboratory, you get no ores. If you slay the Frrrrrrightener, you get ores :)
I always defend the lab. Then I find two ores and BUY one from Harren Brogg. Buying something. Shocking, I know. :)

GuyN039wah said:
Weapon upgrades and oils/runes/grindstones stack,
Ok, I'll admit. I didn't know these effects stacked. Holy cow, all this time..Is this in the glossary or something? Wait a minute, reading comprehension failure. I know what you mean. :)-edit

slimgrin said:
slimgrin said:
Weapon upgrades and oils/runes/grindstones stack,
Ok, I'll admit. I didn't know these effects stacked. Holy cow, all this time..Is this in the glossary or something? Wait a minute, reading comprehension failure. I know what you mean. :)-edit
What's more, they multiply, if I read the Wiki right. So Damage +40% for the 3RM sword with +40% for Diamond Dust is not +80% but +96%.Temporary buffs, of course, don't stack with each other. If you put, say, Crinfrid Oil on before the Diamond Dust wears off, the oil replaces the previous buff.
slimgrin said:
I always defend the lab. Then I find two ores and BUY one from Harren Brogg. Buying something. Shocking, I know. :)
You can also "do well by doing good": talk to the lumberjacks; one of them needs money and is willing to deal.

secondchildren said:
Hmmm..... I wouldn't call that "armour upgrade". Unless not until Act V :p
I assume General Balls was talking about the jacket when he said "armor upgrade". It's 5,000 oren from the blacksmith. I'm going to use dice poker to earn the cash to buy it. :)
secondchildren said:
Yeah, I didn't know about that. I defended the lab.
secondchildren said:
*LOL* I buy the ore too. :)
secondchildren said:
What's more, they multiply, if I read the Wiki right. So Damage +40% for the 3RM sword with +40% for Diamond Dust is not +80% but +96%.
Multiply? Math please! :)

Top Bottom