Miles Tost on Cyberpunk 2077 Game Length and Development Process

+
Miles, Senior Level Designer and frequent "face" of 2077 development, spoke on the 2077 Discord this morning, regarding some common worries.

1603644448023.png

"We never had dual wielding and I have said my words on techie so often; not sure what else to say about it other than that if you unsure, please wait for reviews, check whoever you trust after it launches and get their input. Not every game is for everyone, we don't have the power to change that, haha. No one is forcing you to buy the game day one and no one at CDPR wants you to be disappointed with a game you might not enjoy.

Having said that, on the topic of cut features: cutting features and scope is a very normal part of development. You can witness it so openly with our game, because we happily gave in to community wishes and showed you that 2018 demo. Think about it. The game - 2 years from release. Of course we iterate and change stuff and of course we also will have ideas that sound great on paper but then doesn't end up working out well in the game with all the other features. Witcher 3 we also cut a ton of stuff, but in the end all of it made the game better - now I understand, this is disappointing for everyone when it happens and also difficult to understand without all the context of development environment, but in this case I just kindly ask you for your trust. Just look at stories of so many other games you might enjoy.

Believe me when I say that during their development some loved features also were cut and you still enjoy them today, maybe even because of the cuts. In the end, it is all about how much fun the game and it systems provide you and we are doing our best to make sure it is as great of an experience as it can be. Sometimes for that, you have to make some hard decisions and this time around, you were here to witness it.

If you worry about the amount of content on our game, please don't. We're notoriously bad at judging how long gametime is in our games (I remember we estimated players would max out W3 at 100h), so we try not to do that anymore. But I can only keep saying what I have been saying in the past: you guys have seen nothing yet. It's less than a month now, soon all your questions will be answered (hopefully satisfyingly!) and I can't wait for you all to play it finally. Been a long time coming. :)"

"We never had dual wielding and I have said my words on techie so often; not sure what else to say about it other than that if you unsure, please wait for reviews, check whoever you trust after it launches and get their input.

I totally understand the removal of wallrunning, as it has a huge effect on map design.

On the dual-wielding though, I think CDPR made a major mistake of showing Jackie repeatedly wield 2 pistols in the videos, so people got the wrong idea. Rightfully so, in my opinion. If you show something in the promo videos, the game is expected to have it.

Guest 4318427

I totally understand the removal of wallrunning, as it has a huge effect on map design.

On the dual-wielding though, I think CDPR made a major mistake of showing Jackie repeatedly wield 2 pistols in the videos, so people got the wrong idea. Rightfully so, in my opinion. If you show something in the promo videos, the game is expected to have it.

They didn't say anything about NPCs not dual wielding...

As he said, stuff, features and ideas are cut out of the game during development, but most of the times you just don't know it because they don't share too much about the development or the early builds of the game. People complaining about "But I want this, but I want that" is just...stupid.
If Miles will ever read this forum: Miles keep up the good work, I am sure it's going to be amazing.

Guest 4318427

I really admire CDPR for their transparency throughout the whole development. It is quite unprecedented to have this level of information being shared before release of a video game.

It's inevitably opened up the can of worms that is community "feedback", but I think it worked out well.

They could just as easily have gone the Rockstar route and kept everything mum until a few weeks before release with a couple of short teasers and trailers. I wonder if they will do the same with future projects...

Well that was my thought too, but you have double jump and air dash, and it has been said that you can climb buildings. With those features in I find it difficult to see how wall running would be a major obstacle with the map design.

Cutting Ciri from the game is inexcusable. Explain that one, Miles.

Yeah, I don't think that it'll ever happen.

It would be a nice thing if you can customize V as Ciri, Triss, Yennefer, Geralt or the biggest hero of The Witcher series: Dandelion.

But ultimately, I don't think that it'll happen because of the IP problem, CDPR terms of using the Witcher series IP probably didn't envolve using it in Cyberpunk universe.

Yeah, I don't think that it'll ever happen.

It would be a nice thing if you can customize V as Ciri, Triss, Yennefer, Geralt or the biggest hero of The Witcher series: Dandelion...
Mods will doubtless make it happen.

That aside Ciri not showing up would be no big loss. If you see V pass her up on a subway it's no big deal. "Yay I saw Ciri". You can just as well pull up her picture online or buy a poster.

They didn't say anything about NPCs not dual wielding...

Seeing an NPC do something that you cannot do without justification will always be on the frustrating side anyway, be it for dual wielding or any other logical thing that NPCs does, that V should be able ta do, and that V isn't able to do.

Seeing an NPC do something that you cannot do without justification will always be on the frustrating side anyway, be it for dual wielding or any other logical thing that NPCs does, that V should be able ta do, and that V isn't able to do.

Well there is a logical reason that Jackie can Dual Wield and V can't. The gods smite Jackie for the audacity of it. V's smart enough to not even try it.

Last edited:
Having said that, on the topic of cut features: cutting features and scope is a very normal part of development. You can witness it so openly with our game, because we happily gave in to community wishes and showed you that 2018 demo. Think about it. The game - 2 years from release. Of course we iterate and change stuff and of course we also will have ideas that sound great on paper but then doesn't end up working out well in the game with all the other features. Witcher 3 we also cut a ton of stuff, but in the end all of it made the game better - now I understand, this is disappointing for everyone when it happens and also difficult to understand without all the context of development environment, but in this case I just kindly ask you for your trust. Just look at stories of so many other games you might enjoy.
In my non-professional opinion, you shouldn't show things you can't guarantee will be in the final game.

Marketing 101: Under-promise and overdeliver.

Never the other way around.

Expectation management is important.

In Monster Hunter we see the Rathalos fly and shoot fire balls from the mouth. Why can't my hunter do that? "DOWNGRADEEEEEEEEEEE" :p

Firearm Dual wielding always fucks up balance it sounds good on paper but when it comes to execution its 90% of the time poorly executed there is a good reason why Halo got rid of it and why MANY other FPS games dont have it

Firearm Dual wielding always fucks up balance it sounds good on paper but when it comes to execution its 90% of the time poorly executed there is a good reason why Halo got rid of it and why MANY other FPS games dont have it

It's a universe with auto aiming bullets.
Need more explanations than that?

What.

Dualwielding has basically zero effect on game balance since its still the same gun that is shooting that would be used singlehanded. See red dead redemption 2 which has dual wielding. The guns are just shooting one at a time. RDR2 goes step further and allows you to dualwield two DIFFERENT guns at the same time. Even a revolver and a sawed-off shotgun.

ps. In case it isn't clear: I am criticizing less the lack of dual-wielding and more their decision to show a dual-wielding Jackie in the promo material.

Last edited:
cut features: cutting features and scope is a very normal part of development.

I think this is something that is hard to avoid now days, when developers are so inclined to share development cycle with the community. Is not like we are back in mid 90's early 2000's that development were not on the eyes of the public much. Or rather say, they don't feel the inclination to share.

Top Bottom