2-player couch VS?

+
2-player couch VS?

Pretty straightforward question: does CDPR plan to include a local multiplayer option, i.e. 2-player couch VS? Competitive play online is great and all, but I was hoping to play against friends and family as well.

I think there will be because they confirmed having a skirmish mode where you can play against AI so it's very plausible .. btw your avatar is pretty eye catching

How would that work?
You'd be able to see your opponents cards. :what2:

I imagine if you want to play with friends or family you'll just need 2 computers.

How would that work?
You'd be able to see your opponents cards.

I imagine if you want to play with friends or family you'll just need 2 computers.

yeah. I mean they could hide the other hand each round and you can have your friend bury their face into the couch while you play your card, but that isn't exactly convenient...

I think there will be because they confirmed having a skirmish mode where you can play against AI so it's very plausible .. btw your avatar is pretty eye catching

Thanks. I got it from Cameron's World. It's a tribute to the Geocities websites of old and has a bunch of avatar sized gifs that you can pick from: http://www.cameronsworld.net/

@KingBlackToof

You could probably do something like I used to do when I played Heroes of Might and Magic local multiplayer against my family on the same computer, i.e look away from the screen while the other person is taking their turn. Pretty simple, but it works. I don't really have a desire to play against my family with them sitting in one room and me being in another ...

@lord_blex

Not convenient, but it works hehe. I'm sure CDPR could come up with something. Doubt it would cost much to implement, either.

I am totaly onn board for this option but don't see how it would work. The moment you have both sides on one screen and therefore can see both sides cards,, it falls apart.

While this would be great, it doesn't seem very likely. It would be clunky doing the transitions between the players turns without anyone seeing the others hand, and also the entire Gwent game will be built around building up your account. Would your friend play with the same cards, achievments, friendslist etc. that you do or would they have a separate account?

And as the game is f2p there are gonna be very few people who couldn't just play on separate computers, so they would be putting their time into a feature very few people would use. Local coop is rare enough on pc in games where it works very well, and since it would be so clunky in this game it would be very unexpected if they put it in.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool (though I personally wouldn't use it it doesn't hurt to have more features), but I don't think CDPR will do it.

Last edited:
I believe this mode could be perfectly implemented using 2 devices. Why do I say 2 devices, because essential thing there would be to release also mobile Android/iOS/Phone 8/etc as then the problem of Family being in different room is gone. Also it should be cross platform meaning that the mobile version mechanics and engine should be the same so that PC/Xbox/PS devices could play against mobile device players. So then you could play using either 2 laptops or a laptop and tablet (or mobile phone) as screen size might be a problem. Actually if they would launch a mobile version that would be 100% same as is now just on mobile I wouldn't mind at all. Either way there is still possibility to play on mobile using Steam stream app and Bluetooth mouse, yes mouse as it is the main big issue with all the small elements you hardly can hit with fingers. Tried it with BT mouse things are working pretty decent, yes things are small on a 5.3" screen 1440x2560 pixels (LG G5) but playable.

Hot seat mode which was mentioned here wouldn't work as spotting at least one card makes things very different Heroes (HOMM) hot seat mode work perfectly because to collect needed information you would need to be way more than just spotting one or two cards (even accidentally).

I believe this mode could be perfectly implemented using 2 devices. [...]

Actually thinking about this, CDPR could release a companion app on the phone/tablet. Both players could use their phone to control the game. The hand of the respective players are shown on their phone, not on the main (TV) screen. This also solves the issue of having a small phone screen because it only needs to show your hand. This makes couch play quite viable, only needing two phones and a TV screen.

Actually thinking about this, CDPR could release a companion app on the phone/tablet. Both players could use their phone to control the game. The hand of the respective players are shown on their phone, not on the main (TV) screen. This also solves the issue of having a small phone screen because it only needs to show your hand. This makes couch play quite viable, only needing two phones and a TV screen.

Yes - PERFECT I was having some sort of same idea but did not put all the details in my mind, you put those details out really good.

Great idea, fully support this.

Edit: Thinking about this a second time, only showing your hand doesn't quite work you still have to be able to interact with cards on the board, the enemie's hand (reveal for example) etc, so they'd have to think a bit further to make something like a companion app work.
It would also depend on how Gwent will look and play after Homecoming anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom