+

Rise of the Cyber-Mercenaries; Lithuania hires cyber-soldiers to repel invasions by Latvian Nationals.

Feel free to expand from other sources.

Happy new year everybody.

Rise of the Cyber-Mercenaries; Lithuania hires cyber-soldiers to repel invasions by Latvian Nationals.

Feel free to expand from other sources.

Happy new year everybody.

IRL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defion_Internacional hired by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Canopy who merged with the infamous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi aka Blackwater to form

Constellis_Group : http://constellisgroup.com/

Number of employees
6,600+ (2009)

So the forces are ready.
Now all we need is the cyber...

Also, this is kind of a frightening list:

http://listverse.com/2014/01/07/11-frightening-facts-about-private-military-companies/

Last edited:
It's already the Dark Future?

Great post, lot of info (did't know Black Water changed name). Thanx for sharing.

It's used as an extention of ourself. Sluppy us with information, tools and improve our functionality for those who can exploit it. Or it can alienate us from others, getting obsessed and distracted by it. It's technological potencial is this level of our evolution.

Okay, I can see that, but that's been said about the printing press and literature as a whole. ANything extra-somatic to how we learn and remember data, really.

Isn't a smartphone closer to a portable encyclopedia and message service than it is to an extension of ourselves?

My self is pretty solid without it. As opposed to taking away my cyberarm or cyberheart.

People often claim a great relief to be separated from their phones - if you've ever travelled to remote locations, without cell service, that's what you hear after the first day or two of reflexive phone-checking.

Mind you, that does mean that any addon could be claimed to be non-cybernetic.

Do you think non-implanted machines make us cyborgs? If so, how does a motorcycle not make you a cyborg?

Okay, I can see that, but that's been said about the printing press and literature as a whole. ANything extra-somatic to how we learn and remember data, really.

Isn't a smartphone closer to a portable encyclopedia and message service than it is to an extension of ourselves?

My self is pretty solid without it. As opposed to taking away my cyberarm or cyberheart.

People often claim a great relief to be separated from their phones - if you've ever travelled to remote locations, without cell service, that's what you hear after the first day or two of reflexive phone-checking.

Mind you, that does mean that any addon could be claimed to be non-cybernetic.

Do you think non-implanted machines make us cyborgs? If so, how does a motorcycle not make you a cyborg?

I think it depends on how you look at it. I don't think anyone means all that technology literally makes us cyborgs in the sense that sci-fi terms them, but they're more talking about either our overdependance on technology or how it shapes our behaviour and perception. Leaving prosthetics aside, which are developing at a very slow pace... what if cyborgs never really happen? I see it troubling that people turn to cyberpunk or sci-fi in general for anything more than probably some degree of speculation, more of a prediction and if it doesn't come true or it doesn't come true in a certain span of time or in this or that order, then it's no longer valid (I can see though how it may be fun -or annoying- to spot the parts where a work of sci-fi is dated, but not how it invalidates it).

At the end of the day, I think cyberpunk is in fact sci-fi because we usually turn to it for cool sci-fi ideas, only maybe we like them more in cyberpunk because they're somehow more realistic or relevant to us, but all the tech, the flashy stuff and the action, while cool, is superfluous and frivolous. There has to be something more that we can apply in the here and now about their stories and their worlds, and all good cyberpunk (and sci-fi again) works have this. They don't have to be cautionary warnings for something that may not even happen.

Let's compare, and yes, I know I'm monothematic, GITS SAC with all of the recent Hollywood flicks with a bit of cyberpunk that use certain tropes just for the sake of being relevant. GITS is a world where the mind (the ghost, the electrical experience of the natural brain) and the machine interact, the mind is software and the brain is hardwarwe, and where people's minds can be hacked to implant memories or make people act like they wouldn't do, interfere in their perception of the world or even change their ideology. While that's cool, and that's what makes people turn to GITS, that's the frivolous element. That may never happen and we may have been lost in a diatribe of a non-problem if cyberbrains or cyborgs never exist or if computer science has nothing to do with that. But then, amidst the cases of ghosthacking we have people who start acting a certain way not because they have synchronized their thoughts through cybernetic neural itnerfaces, but by more traditional means: being exposed to biased information, being too eager to believe things that are comfortable to us... that's not something that may happen in the future, that's something that has always happened but the series shows it in an exagerated manner.

Now let's compare it to films like the Robocop remake, Ironman 2 or Captain America: The Winter Soldier. All of them deal with drone warfare to seem relevant in a sci-fi/cyberpunk package... but they don't answer any relevant questions. They simply perpetuate misconceptions about the drones and pose us non-problems like drones being controlled by AI that choose who lives and who dies or combat drones patrolling first-world streets, while there are legitimate and relevant concerns that are wiped under the rug. If the message of these films is "we can't let computers decide over life and death and control drones", "we can't bring combat drones to America" or "we can't trust some ex-soviet guy or ex-nazi guy to build our drones" then it's like the movies are telling us "we're on the right track", because this is not happening now and it's probably never going to happen. It's a conformist message. The problem with drones is more of an old one, the dehumanization of the enemy, because drones are controlled by human pilots remotely and some of the reality and weight of the actions may be trivialized by this.

We could also say that drones keep the troops safe, as the users aren't physically there exposing themselves, but their targets and collateral victims aren't any safer. Again, somewhat old problem, only exagerated. You can compare them to the atom bomb or go as far as you can draw analogies.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how you look at it. I don't think anyone means all that technology literally makes us cyborgs in the sense that sci-fi terms them, but they're more talking about either our overdependance on technology or how it shapes our behaviour and perception. Leaving prosthetics aside, which are developing at a very slow pace... what if cyborgs never really happen?

Interesting question. I would point out prosthetics are developing at a crazy rapid pace. Please check out the smithsonian documentary http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/incredible-bionic-man-the/0/3378516

It's on Netflix, too. The limbs coming out and in play -right now- are MUCH cheaper and just incredible. There are more organs as well.

But you may have a point in a different way. What if cyborgization becomes like cellphones? Ubiquitous and unnoticed, just as unremarkable and prosaic as my laser eyes? What if the "cyborg" never becomes a thing because all it does is fix a few problems and tech moves on? Hmmm.

The problem with drones is more of an old one, the dehumanization of the enemy, because drones are controlled by human pilots remotely and some of the reality and weight of the actions may be trivialized by this.

We could also say that drones keep the troops safe, as the users aren't physically there exposing themselves, but their targets and collateral victims aren't any safer. Again, somewhat old problem, only exagerated. You can compare them to the atom bomb or go as far as you can draw analogies.

A friend of mine's kid did this job for awhile - they just swapped him out to a new task, after a few years. No idea where, it was classified. He wasn't dehumanized but then again, he wasn't greatly affected by his task, either. So maybe...I don't know. Maybe having drones fight for us one day will be a good thing? If they fight each other, anyway.

A friend of mine's kid did this job for awhile - they just swapped him out to a new task, after a few years. No idea where, it was classified. He wasn't dehumanized but then again, he wasn't greatly affected by his task, either. So maybe...I don't know. Maybe having drones fight for us one day will be a good thing? If they fight each other, anyway.

I think you got me wrong... or I'm using the term wrong. I mean "dehumanization of the enemy" as "treating the other - the enemy - as something inhuman". Even the definition sounds somewhat extreme for what it really means. Stripping the enemy of humanity, redeeming factors, understandable motives and a perspective... or treating an entire race or nationality as having the same ideology, etc. Some postulate that more traditional kinds of warfare like trench warfare are more relatable, and feel more real and like having more emotional weight, while doing these things remotely, at the press of a button, removes that factor. There are, so to say, degrees of detachment: first combat was hand-to-hand, face to face, or with ranged weapons that still let you see the face of the enemy... then the range got progressively bigger, and so did areas of effect, and now we see the enemy in a black and white display of an infrared camera overhead view where people look just like ants... and it's not a kill or be killed situation, but rather kill or have your toy broken.

And... no, we're never going to have drones kill drones be all that war is. Not one type of war aims solely for the destruction of the other's equipment, nor for the sole (or complete) destruction of the other's military. It's not a game of chess, or risk, but we may be losing a lot of our perspective in the countries that haven't seen a war in their soil in some time. For war to take effect it's not just about rendering the other unable to fight, and even if it were, there's still things like relatiation, occupation, loss of freedom...

And I repeat, not a new problem, only probably exagerated.

I think you got me wrong... or I'm using the term wrong. I mean "dehumanization of the enemy" as "treating the other - the enemy - as something inhuman". Even the definition sounds somewhat extreme for what it really means. Stripping the enemy of humanity, redeeming factors, understandable motives and a perspective... or treating an entire race or nationality as having the same ideology, etc. Some postulate that more traditional kinds of warfare like trench warfare are more relatable, and feel more real and like having more emotional weight, while doing these things remotely, at the press of a button, removes that factor. There are, so to say, degrees of detachment: first combat was hand-to-hand, face to face, or with ranged weapons that still let you see the face of the enemy... then the range got progressively bigger, and so did areas of effect, and now we see the enemy in a black and white display of an infrared camera overhead view where people look just like ants... and it's not a kill or be killed situation, but rather kill or have your toy broken.

And... no, we're never going to have drones kill drones be all that war is. Not one type of war aims solely for the destruction of the other's equipment, nor for the sole (or complete) destruction of the other's military. It's not a game of chess, or risk, but we may be losing a lot of our perspective in the countries that haven't seen a war in their soil in some time. For war to take effect it's not just about rendering the other unable to fight, and even if it were, there's still things like relatiation, occupation, loss of freedom...

And I repeat, not a new problem, only probably exagerated.
I hate to tell you this, but the "dehumanization of the enemy" has been going on since man first evolved. It's how our minds rationalize war and the taking of other people's resources. It's the whole "us vs them" dynamic. It's how the Crusades were justified, it's how the Romans (and English, and French, and even we Americans against the Native Americans) justified conquering other people and taking their lands and resources. It's nothing new, and not even "exaggerated". Animals vie for needed territory and resources all the time. There is only a limited amount after all. But Humans, with our intelligence, sentience, empathy, and "conscience" seem to need to rationalize and "justify" this drive by vilifying those whom we wish to take from. That's also why there will never be an end to war.

I hate to tell you this, but the "dehumanization of the enemy" has been going on since man first evolved. It's how our minds rationalize war and the taking of other people's resources. It's the whole "us vs them" dynamic. It's how the Crusades were justified, it's how the Romans (and English, and French, and even we Americans against the Native Americans) justified conquering other people and taking their lands and resources. It's nothing new, and not even "exaggerated". Animals vie for needed territory and resources all the time. There is only a limited amount after all. But Humans, with our intelligence, sentience, empathy, and "conscience" seem to need to rationalize and "justify" this drive by vilifying those whom we wish to take from. That's also why there will never be an end to war.

Need I... ahem... repeat? :facepalm:

Safe? If you want to be safe go lick the boots of your corporate overlords and move to an arcology. We cyberpunks prefer dangerous liberty to peaceful servitude :p

Also, upgrade that cunning hat of yours from tin foil to mylar, blocks more of the zeta rays ;)

Two interesting facts about "deshumanisation"and war:

First, as you can see in the film "Good kill" and numerous reports, drones pilots are subject for post traumatic stress disorders becauses even if it look likes a video game, the pilot knows he is actually killing real people, it not virtual at all. It's likes a sniper watching his target before firing, those guys spyed their target for hours before killing him. So when they shoot, it was not close but becames very personal, you known the face of your victim, you see the consequences, u have killed a real person and must live with that. Bomber pilots can kill lots of people but don't see their victims, so they can be emotionally less involved, they problably don't want to known.

Second point, there is real and very serious point about combat and deshumanisation: Everyone who was on a battlefield, living real combat and the the horror of warfare for more than two months start to change and view the ennemy as a thing, not a person. So, they start to call them with nicknames : gooks, skeletons, ... u name it ! There is no need to haywire soldiers with psychological neuralware to have remorless killers, war itself can do the trick, sad but true.

As stated, you always "dehumanize" your opposition to some extent.
As necessary as it is I always hated searching bodies after a battle for items of interest to intelligence, you find far more photos of wives, families, and girlfriends.

As with ANY traumatic event some people can shrug and move on, some are affected for life.

Top Bottom