A 1.62/1.63 Bug and an Unsung Hero of Cyberpunk's Visuals: THE EYES (FIXED in 2.0!)

+
Hey we’ll see those “upgraded” settings with 1.7 that still don’t include the catchlights. New updates that lose more, that’s great CDPR. Not seeing how they deserve consumer money ever again.

Hey we’ll see those “upgraded” settings with 1.7 that still don’t include the catchlights. New updates that lose more, that’s great CDPR. Not seeing how they deserve consumer money ever again.

Listen I think this deserves constructive criticism, but if I was a dev and saw a comment like this I’d honestly feel demotivated from fixing the problem. Can we please not let this devolve into hyperbolic negativity?

I just don’t see them fixing the game anymore, honestly. A 3 year old game and they seem more focused on making it harder for people to play than actually improving on what was already there. IMO, If devs see these forums and realize how badly CDPR is treating it’s consumer base, I 100% support them leaving the studio.
In case it wasn’t obvious, I’m angry and upset by the direction CDPR seems to be taking the game.

Last edited:
I just don’t see them fixing the game anymore, honestly. A 3 year old game and they seem more focused on making it harder for people to play than actually improving on what was already there. IMO, If devs see these forums and realize how badly CDPR is treating it’s consumer base, I 100% support them leaving the studio.
In case it wasn’t obvious, I’m angry and upset by the direction CDPR seems to be taking the game.
Yes, it is obvious that you are angry, but it is a fact that even the people who criticized the game heavily are mostly glad with all improvements. I highly doubt that CDPR will stop supporting the game after the last DLC and Phantom Liberty.

Yeah, seeing that first picture of Rogue kinda gives it away I guess. So is this something modders can't easily fix then?

Also, @Crimsomrider , thanks - I'm on GOG, but I'm guessing it's just the ...\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\ folder?
Afraid so. I'll explain why if you're interested.

I know people have built appearance mods for locations, but here were' talking about a light source that is hidden from the camera while it's lighting properties are still present. And if the catch light remains zero'd on the eyes in a moment where the PC and target move then said light needs to be 'attached' to the target so the catch lights are visible the entire time. So already we need a light source, in some moments of a specific shape and at some moments tethered to a target npc - not an easy task at all. Then the luminosity also needs to be adjusted and we're not in the engine and those kind of hot swaps are finicky so said modder would need to load and reload over and over again... hmm, still not right - maybe I need to adjust the IOR and specularity of the eyes, etc. I tried out edits for the eyes and got general lighting to be more reflective, but the catchlights in these scenes vary in shape and they just aren't rendering.

I think this may be a victim of PT because with PT active I imagine these lights were more present and RTXDI was forcing shadows from the PC onto the target as the light source is either inside the PC head or just behind/above it depending on the scene. That's my best guess. Had they have forked the game into a big GPU Enhanced Edition this could have been avoided if so, but they didn't. Sorry, man.

Not sure if someone already tried, so I checked on my side (1.63 - Series X) and it seem to me the "bug" was also introduced on console version with 1.63.
Few screenshots in 1.63
22-06-2023_10-52-46-o00qg3sj.jpeg22-06-2023_10-54-15-jwtk2fmp.jpeg22-06-2023_10-55-36-vp5vurvd.jpeg
22-06-2023_11-01-21-igczglmr.jpeg
22-06-2023_11-03-06-w2aikiix.jpeg

For comparaison, here one taken in 1.61
13-09-2022_23-33-12-r3zuqgec.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

For what it's worth, I sent a ticket to the support in case :)
(Not sure since when, but now you receive a confirmation mail after submitting a ticket).
Capture d’écran 2023-06-22 à 11.26.00.jpg

Edit : Ok, I already received an answer from the support... That was fast o_O
Hello,
Thank you for reaching out to us!
We are aware of the issue you have experienced and are looking into it.
Sincerely,
Crimson

Last edited:
Oh God, my eyes! Or... her eyes! :cry:

Judy really looks so soulless in those images. Here's how beautiful her eyes used to look;

But I'm glad you reported this issue as well @LeKill3rFou, wasn't aware it was happening on consoles too. Considering they're aware of it and consider it an issue, it's most likely going to get patched in September. Would make sense since apparently the expansion is also improving in-game models as far as I heard.

Last edited:
Afraid so. I'll explain why if you're interested.

I know people have built appearance mods for locations, but here were' talking about a light source that is hidden from the camera while it's lighting properties are still present. And if the catch light remains zero'd on the eyes in a moment where the PC and target move then said light needs to be 'attached' to the target so the catch lights are visible the entire time. So already we need a light source, in some moments of a specific shape and at some moments tethered to a target npc - not an easy task at all. Then the luminosity also needs to be adjusted and we're not in the engine and those kind of hot swaps are finicky so said modder would need to load and reload over and over again... hmm, still not right - maybe I need to adjust the IOR and specularity of the eyes, etc. I tried out edits for the eyes and got general lighting to be more reflective, but the catchlights in these scenes vary in shape and they just aren't rendering.

I think this may be a victim of PT because with PT active I imagine these lights were more present and RTXDI was forcing shadows from the PC onto the target as the light source is either inside the PC head or just behind/above it depending on the scene. That's my best guess. Had they have forked the game into a big GPU Enhanced Edition this could have been avoided if so, but they didn't. Sorry, man.

I see, that’s really interesting, thanks for explaining. Here’s hoping CDPR can figure something out. I’m sure they want to, they must’ve worked hard on it to get them to look so good in the first place. Plus there‘s a lot more awareness of the issue in the community now so hopefully that makes it a bit more prioritised..

There is that scene where Jackie dies in our arms and I had said at the time (when the game first released) that I could swear his eyes changed at the moment of his Death. I remember saying it was something very subtle and I could not put my finger on it.

Could this be a feature that went bad?

Yes probably unlikely but I wonder if it is a flag in the code or scripts that is accidently switch for all the characters now?

YES! :cry:

Fans watching livestream:

Saw this on the stream too - this is fantastic news! Glad to hear they fixed it on their side. Minor clarification - he didn't specify an exact patch, but the fix is coming, so that's a relief! Great to hear him emphasise their importance character/story wise too. Thanks to Paweł for the update :)

I'll wait with the cheers until I see it actually fixed.
Anybody checked if it is fixed in PL footage? That would be a good sign.

he didn't specify an exact patch, but the fix is coming
My bad. Patch 2.0 prediction was just my thing, but that patch seems like the most reasonable timeframe. It is fixed on their end there's no reason not to release it asap

Top Bottom