A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for all your research and labor. although I don't know how to help, judging by your spirit and enthusiasm I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of this.
best wishes.

Thanks. Seeing all these files, I believe modding Witcher 3 would be much more easier than Witcher 2. There's everything from grass, trees, water, smoke effect and so on. However, other than tweaking the XML files, we'd need to REDKIT for Witcher 3 to really get started and replace the default textures with better ones like people did with Skyrim. At the moment I don't know how to access those files. They got .W2P file extension, which might correspond with REDKIT, so yea, we'd probably need that to open and modify those files. Or maybe someone has other solutions in the meantime?

Thanks. Seeing all these files, I believe modding Witcher 3 would be much more easier than Witcher 2. There's everything from grass, trees, water, smoke effect and so on. However, other than tweaking the XML files, we'd need to REDKIT for Witcher 3 to really get started and replace the default textures with better ones like people did with Skyrim. At the moment I don't know how to access those files. They got .W2P file extension, which might correspond with REDKIT, so yea, we'd probably need that to open and modify those files. Or maybe someone has other solutions in the meantime?

Would really like new Textures. Even if I only have a GTX970 I can bearly reach 2GB in this game. So there is some room for more nicer textures.

Woah good work guys! Deleting that damn ugly fog would be a dream come true. I really don't see the point of it, the LOD in the game is pretty good looking compared to some games, and I doubt it will have a huge impact on performance.

Alright folks, found a possible scenario where those distant fog effects could be removed hence increasing the draw distance. I extracted one of the bundle file inside content0 and found this. However, after extracting I don't know to repack these loose files after extraction. If someone knows how, please let me know. Anyway, the file called lowlands_fog.w2p is interesting and maybe has something to do with the fog. I can delete this file but don't know how to rebundle it so yea....P.S there are other interesting files out there like rain/wave splash effect on screen. You could turn them off by simply deleting those files...but again...will have to rebundle them which I don't know how. Any help is appreciated.

you need to use quickbms to repack + a .bat script specifying wich bundle/folder you want to re pack, just download one of KNG weather mod you'll understand how it work faster than me explaining it in details

when me and other peoples started to mod the game we understood that we could totally remove the distant fog by editing .env files that control lighting/fog/shadow/sky/water/wind/ ect ... but since they are crypted and cant be edited without Redkit we gave up, also ther's a big problem using quickbms repacking, it can corrupt files that arnt the same size as the originale, again without Redkit its not possible to do much, you can try it however, sometime the game will crash trying to load moded bundle files sometimes it will read it just fine

also ther's an env file that dosnt have any of that distant fog at all, you might think that it will look good without it, in reality if you remove it you'll start to notice very low resolution textures everywhere and mesh missing, basically without higher LOD removing the fog can make things even worse

in the 35mn demo the low amount of fog make it look good because the LOD is way higher, high res textures/mesh are loaded way farther than the actual game settings

Last edited:

Guest 3845075

Hi there :)

I'd like to know if there is a way to turn off the depth of field in game and kepping it for cutscenes only ? Anyone knows a tweak that might help ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to use quickbms to repack + a .bat script specifying wich bundle/folder you want to re pack, just download one of KNG weather mod you'll understand how it work faster than me explaining it in details

when me and other peoples started to mod the game we understood that we could totally remove the distant fog by editing .env files that control lighting/fog/shadow/sky/water/wind/ ect ... but since they are crypted and cant be edited without Redkit we gave up, also ther's a big problem using quickbms repacking, it can corrupt files that arnt the same size as the originale, again without Redkit its not possible to do much, you can try it however, sometime the game will crash trying to load moded bundle files sometimes it will read it just fine

also ther's an env file that dosnt have any of that distant fog at all, you might think that it will look good without it, in reality if you remove it you'll start to notice very low resolution textures everywhere and mesh missing, basically without higher LOD removing the fog can make things even worse

in the 35mn demo the low amount of fog make it look good because the LOD is way higher, high res textures/mesh are loaded way farther than the actual game settings

Those mountains on the distance in the demo looked so amazing... Everything there felt like it had more depth to it.

Did you actually load up and play with the ENV file that has no fog? Just curious.

Last edited:
Those mountains in the distance on the demo looked so amazing... Everything there felt like it had more depth to it.

Did you actually load up and play with the ENV file that has no fog? Just curious.

actually, yes he did. and he showed them via links on youtube (check the latest graphics thread that got shut down a few months back). there are env files that contain "weather location specifications", which means that each region in the game has its own settings, which include the LOD/draw distance.
sadly, he couldn't get rid of the "fog", as it changed with each weather setting, and to make matters worse, he had problems with the skybox getting broken. so there ya go ^^

actually, yes he did. and he showed them via links on youtube (check the latest graphics thread that got shut down a few months back). there are env files that contain "weather location specifications", which means that each region in the game has its own settings, which include the LOD/draw distance.
sadly, he couldn't get rid of the "fog", as it changed with each weather setting, and to make matters worse, he had problems with the skybox getting broken. so there ya go ^^

Isn't this what the YALM mod uses? I thought he was referring to a ENV file that has no fog at all.

But if he was talking about this...

Sadly i dislike YALM. Since the game's colors and LOD aren't the same from the demo i think things look very strange while using it. But i love cutscene lighting and would like to have a mix of the two.

RedKit 2 where are yoooouu...

Isn't this what the YALM mod uses? I thought he was referring to a ENV file that has no fog at all.

But if he was talking about this...

Sadly i dislike YALM. Since the game's colors and LOD aren't the same from the demo i think things look very strange while using it. But i love cutscene lighting and would like to have a mix of the two.

RedKit 2 where are yoooouu...
yep it's exactly what "yet another lightning mod" uses ^^

oh no, its not this one, this the same env file as YALM, and probably IMO the closest setting to the 35mn demo, even if its not exactly like it, i already now what to tweak to make it look like it, its a solid basis, YAMLM use an env file from skellige ( but not a generic one ), hence why it look better in skellige than novigrad

but i was referring to another env file, its from e3 2013, its very buggy but has 0 fog in it, so you can clearly see everything in the horizon, i will post some screen shot later

@Kidoki ;
How did it go ?

That didn't really help me :/

I compared our user.settings files and they were mostly the same except for foliage/grass. But what was it supposed to fix really? This?

The shadows are also a problem with those roofs, so tweaking the ShadowDistanceScale does help in that aspect, but the roof itself still changes in quality when i move away a bit.

Last edited:
I compared our user.settings files and they were mostly the same except for foliage/grass. But what was it supposed to fix really? This?

That detail fading in and out won't change as it is hardcoded in the game thanks to Umbra and Simplygon middleware engine CDPR used which in turn you can thank the potato consoles for which doesn't have the juice to run Witcher 3 at higher settings than what we see today. The only way to possibly fix this, along with other issues, is for CDPR to release the REDKIT for Witcher 3 so modders can start modding the game into shape.

That didn't really help me :/

The shadows are also a problem with those roofs, so tweaking the ShadowDistanceScale does help in that aspect, but the roof itself still changes in quality when i move away a bit.

Wall textures are controlled differently and the same thing happens for me on the roofs or walls. @berserker66666 is right; the damn thing is hard locked.
however grass pop-in is at very large distance and is barely noticeable.

Last edited:
however grass pop-in is at very large distance and is barely noticeable.

Thank God that has no hard lock and can be tweaked. Yea if you do some hard tweaking of the grass, there'll be virtually no grass pop-ins at all. The trade-off is FPS hit but if you've got a 970/980 or even 980TI you can tweak the grass settings heavily and still have a great playable FPS. Heck even on my 770, I did some grass tweak and I don't really see pop-ins. I wish CDPR unlocked all other settings for tweaking just like the grass. Weird.

It's better not to count on that my friend.
you've already found a way to unpack texture files so I think we're half way home. there's got to be another way beside REDkit.

Hmm could be. I was thinking about this software called OPEN IV. It's used for modding GTA IV, GTA V, Max Payne 3. Using this software you can inject or delete custom files, scripts, settings and others and the software will repack those changes automatically on your command. If we could a software like that, it would be cool till REDKIT's out. Also without the REDKIT, texture modding won't be possible I think cause you won't have the base to do your texture works (and others) on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom