[ACT III] The Kikimore queen and her cave

+
Maybe no one will see this since it's such an old thread, but I have to say THANKS SO MUCH for the advice here. That queen has been driving me crazy! Now I see my error, just bringing one support down, only blocking her, but she eventually caught back up with me and killed me. Thanks to all who help so much with advice in the Witcher site.

ElvenStorm said:
Maybe no one will see this since it's such an old thread, but I have to say THANKS SO MUCH for the advice here. That queen has been driving me crazy! Now I see my error, just bringing one support down, only blocking her, but she eventually caught back up with me and killed me. Thanks to all who help so much with advice in the Witcher site.
I'm so glad you got the help you needed and were able to finish Chapter 3! That's what makes it all worthwhile.

When it comes to Story and Quest here there never old so I'm glad you found what you needed And yes we all see LOL especially us Mods *Evil Grin*

Whoa this forum is becoming too loaded up to load.. wonder if it has something to do with the new layout :( Anyways. Am on my next playthrough, this time on Hard. Still experimenting with another way to deal with this boss without having to run into the corridor crawling with minions and... It took two poison bombs and one Yrden sign to bring the Queenie down. My active stat was Tawny Owl and Petri Philter. Plus a sign boost from the previous room before engaging Azar Javed, but now I dont think these are relevant at all. The only challenge is that the poison cloud only scatters for a very brief moment (and limited radius too) so you'll need to allow the Queen to get pretty close before you throw the bomb. Just take a couple poison bombs with you before the secret meeting to the Salamandra base and everything's gonna be fine.

I didn't realise that the last supports (in the chamber) would wait for her to arrive before they fell. I went back into the room to use the Aard symbol on them and they killed me. Sigh. Thank goodness I saved the game right before I make the run through the supports or I would be even more frustrated now. For once I'm happy that a history of buggy games has made my motto "save early and save often".

Well it took me about 30 tries in all, but I finally, somehow, managed to do it. Thanks to this thread I was better able to visualize what needed doing. As a rule I don't look for solutions to problems online and try to solve them myself. However, since timing is by no means my strong suit, this thread was a massive massive help.

Just finished this part, and I have to say: it literally took me, I swear, at the very least 40 reloads, possibly closer to 50, since I either missed the getting everybody properly aligned, on all 4 supports when I used the aard (and you have to hit every one to knock the little critters back or else they'll swarm you -- though sometimes they do anyhow and then it's Game Over.... again), or else once I've collapsed the support: I found a bunch of little kikimores blocking my path and thus was unable to proceed -- even by dodging -- and could only fight them until the Queen came along and killed me.It's situations like this, in CRPG's, that make me think how nearly impossible the protagonist's situation is. In this case: I can only conclude that for Geralt -- not the player -- it's next to impossible for him to get through this. He'd have to be extraordinarily lucky. Which bothers me because, in my eyes, this means a flaw in the writing.As for strategy, based on what I've discovered in my 40-50 attempts:1: You cannot kill the Queen. Don't even try. With one swipe of her leg she'll kill you.2: When you use the aard on the first support: the Queen has to be positioned precisely in the emergent position -- in other words, underneath the supports and just emerging from them. The aard will push her back -- hopefully as well as the small kikimores nagging you from behind, thus clearing the way for you to proceed -- and collapse the supports. You have to be far enough away so you don't get crushed, but not so far as to not be able to hit it. In other words: near the back wall and just slightly to the side. Once you've cast the aard: don't wait to see the results. IMMEDIATELY turn and RUN.NOTE: Despite any suggestion to the contrary: if you zap the supports before the Queen gets there, the supports will not wait for the Queen to arrive. It doesn't work. The aard will fail to topple the supports, and the Queen will come through and kill you. She needs to be right under the supports and just coming out from them.NOTE: This will be the only point where you'll have the luxury of waiting. Remember: every time you zap the supports: RUN.Also: the first supports are the only ones where you'll have to wait until she's emerging. On the others: hit the supports when she's under them or just getting under them. A little later and it'll be too late.3: On your way, DO NOT ATTACK ANY KIKIMORES. Unless somehow the Queen gets stuck -- a rarity -- she'll come after you at lightning speed and kill you. You have to get past the next support as fast as you can, turn, you'll see her approaching, when she's just under the support, zap the support and move on.4. Next supports are just at the entrance of the large gallery with all the support poles. Make sure you don't miss it. Turn and hit these, then move on.4. You'll have to position yourself just beyond the middle of the final three poles, about as far away as you were from the first. Too close and you'll be covered in rubble. Too far and the aard won't work. Essentially: O O O X...If I remember correctly (I didn't get to this point often) I think there's a crack there and you should stay just beyond it, no further.FINAL NOTE: Once you cast the aard on the final support: RUN RUN RUN! Or you'll be crushed.

Evnissyen said:
NOTE: Despite any suggestion to the contrary: if you zap the supports before the Queen gets there, the supports will not wait for the Queen to arrive. It doesn't work. The aard will fail to topple the supports, and the Queen will come through and kill you. She needs to be right under the supports and just coming out from them.
I erred when I first thought they would. It appears that my first successful attempt (in which I was also killed) the timing happen to be just right so it *looked* like the supports waited fro the queen to arrive. Subsequent attempts proved otherwise. When I finally did kill the queen, and survive, the biggest hurdle for me was after the second support and before the third I was SWAMPED with kikimore workers and warriors. I could not jump, I could not move, and I could not use the Aard sign because that could have brought the third support down upon my head killing me instantly and thus defeating the whole purpose. I was forced to fight kikimores for ages just o get to the final supports. As far as the final supports go, I think I hit those by sheer luck. I had watched and rewatched youtube videos in order to determine the location of the supports I needed to target, and the angle that most people hit them from, but in the end I was just trying to hit them from a location that would allow me to get to the far end of the tunnel once the screen started to shake.One thing that really puzzles me though is if you watch any of these videos where people are showing how to kill the queen, their caves are populated by a good 2/3rd less kikimores than I was. Those people had room to run between the monsters and to maneuver and evade. Such a feat was nigh impossible for me. Did the EE add more workers and warriors to the game? I was playing on easy so I know that it can't be the level.

Trust me you dont want to know how many times I died doing this part on my veary first play.and even more times when I was told to hit the post LOL

Guest 2081505

photoleia said:
One thing that really puzzles me though is if you watch any of these videos where people are sho-wing how to kill the queen, their caves are populated by a good 2/3rd less kikimores than I was. Those people had room to run between the monsters and to maneuver and evade. Such a feat was nigh impossible for me. Did the EE add more workers and warriors to the game? I was playing on easy so I know that it can't be the level.
It's a question of speed. The kikimores emerge from the ground, so Geralt shouldn't wait too long. Draw the sword, choose fast style (Geralt is able to run very fast), and run and jump and run and ...It's not necessary to collapse the supports:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfLwT2wWU08(There is not much light in the cave: full screen and better resolution may help.)
photoleia said:
1: You cannot kill the Queen. Don't even try. With one swipe of her leg she'll kill you.
Sry, i have a slightly different oppinion. You can kill the queen, and there are a lot of possibilitys. It's the best arena-fight of the whole game:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZCNAkG0wQHere are the basic tactics to avoid the killer jab of the queen (You need brown oil):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOfmxMXAc5EIf your Geralt has not the same temperament: What about devil's puffball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5_j-oDyDQOr Yrden and devil's puffball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRM1rOXTc8

MaxStrauss said:
It's not necessary to collapse the supports:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfLwT2wWU08
Well, like your video showed: you have to collapse the final supports in order to initiate the earthquake that opens up the passage to the exit. But, true: only the final supports are the ones that need to be collapsed. I've found that the aard seems to scatter the little kikimores, so it's hard to just rush out to the final supports. I guess one could try using the aard directly on the little kiki's, but... that's one strategy I hadn't tried.
MaxStrauss said:
1: You cannot kill the Queen. Don't even try. With one swipe of her leg she'll kill you.
Sry, i have a slightly different oppinion. You can kill the queen, and there are a lot of possibilitys. It's the best arena-fight of the whole game:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZCNAkG0wQ
Wow... I stand corrected, then. Interesting; although I do see that your Geralt's sword seems to be enhanced with some sort of insect repellent.
(You need brown oil)
Oh.I haven't come across brown oil, yet, oh well... I'll definitely, definitely need to look into it.Clearly, I'm not playing this game as well as I ought to.
If your Geralt has not the same temperament: What about devil's puffball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5_j-oDyDQ
Now... I had a pretty high admiration for Geralt being pretty damn cool in pretty much any situation, but... you've out-cooled Geralt! Congrats! :)Then, again, I haven't done much exploration of the bombs, either. Maybe I should... .

If your Geralt has not the same temperament: What about devil's puffball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5_j-oDyDQ
Now... I had a pretty high admiration for Geralt being pretty damn cool in pretty much any situation, but... you've out-cooled Geralt! Congrats! :)Then, again, I haven't done much exploration of the bombs, either. Maybe I should... .
Oh goodness, well that makes SO much sense. I don't use bombs a lot, but when I do use them
Like in the final battle at Murky Waters
I have found the puffball especially to be very very helpful. If I had any common sense I would have thought to try this method, and it is very much in keeping with what my Geralt would rather do.

Hi. This is an interesting thread and I've seen others report the same problem I have with this. I've been trying this for the last hour now and have reached the final tunnel several times and successfully killed the Kikimore Queen. However no matter how far back in the tunnel (I assume it is the tunnel to the right as you enter the final big room) I go, I always die when the queen dies. I've tried going to both of the back corners, to no avail. It's driving me nuts as I have been very much enjoying this game, but there is no way to get past this.On my last attempt I actually got a quest update as I Aarded the supports, and the game let me save; however I still die about 5-10 seconds later when the queen dies.The only thing I can think of that I am doing differently here is that I took Blizzard during the fight with the Professor, and thus still have its effects active when running from the Queen, rather than activating Blizzard after the falling cutscene. Is it worth going back to an earlier save and trying again? Is there any way past this?

NefTor said:
Hi. This is an interesting thread and I've seen others report the same problem I have with this. I've been trying this for the last hour now and have reached the final tunnel several times and successfully killed the Kikimore Queen. However no matter how far back in the tunnel (I assume it is the tunnel to the right as you enter the final big room) I go, I always die when the queen dies. I've tried going to both of the back corners, to no avail. It's driving me nuts as I have been very much enjoying this game, but there is no way to get past this.On my last attempt I actually got a quest update as I Aarded the supports, and the game let me save; however I still die about 5-10 seconds later when the queen dies.The only thing I can think of that I am doing differently here is that I took Blizzard during the fight with the Professor, and thus still have its effects active when running from the Queen, rather than activating Blizzard after the falling cutscene. Is it worth going back to an earlier save and trying again? Is there any way past this?
The only time i died here was when i was standing to close to the supports . If your facing the supports when you aard it do a 180 and run and the queen doesn`t really have to be close. If you decide to do the falling cutscene again if you have any white honey down a bottle and that will release the effects of the blizzard and all other potions

Guest 2081505

NefTor said:
Is there any way past this?
This is a bug which has been reported several times.Did you try this one? You need a save before entering the tunnel after the cut scene.
NefTor said:
Draw the sword, choose fast style (Geralt is able to run very fast), and run and jump and run and ...It's not necessary to collapse the supports:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfLwT2wWU08(There is not much light in the cave: full screen and better resolution may help.)
Stay at the right side and jump into the gaps.

Thanks for the replies guys. Actually I think I have figured this one out, at least my version of it. First I tried repeating the entire salamandra base from an older save as someone else said it worked for them; this did work for me but I realised as this time I was doing it without Blizzard (and oddly I found the running bit easier without it) I hit the last support in the large cavern with Aard as I ran past it instead of running past it, turning and Aarding it. I realised I hadn't actually tried this on any other attempt(!) so I reloaded the save game I had been playing from last night, where I kept dying for no reason, and did the same thing... it worked first time.On all my reading on these forums I've not seen this mentioned before (so apologies if it was mentioned and I missed it), so just for the record if anyone else has this issue, try hitting the last pillar before the exit tunnel BEFORE you run past it, and then run like hell.

I've run past the first support and aard'd the 2nd support. The problem is when I enter the cave, the queen suddenly shows in the tunnel, as if she had teleported from behind the 2nd support. Doesn't give me time to build up a full aard. She is always outside the tunnel by the time I get a full aard, so she just gets pushed back into the tunnel. My 2nd aard never collapses the support. I've run to the end of the cave but can never collapse the cave, no matter what. Apparently you can't direct the aard. Getting very frustrating, especially with Geralt not automatically facing in the direction of the cursor.

Top Bottom