After KTS 2

+

mjul

Forum veteran
After KTS 2

Now...

Let me get my bearings...

This test was awesome. The spies are back and they never felt OP. In fact they were very hit or miss. I love it. Truly, I had my reservations but they were all dispelled after this test. I played mostly with Scoia'tael but I've tried every fraction and they were all excellent. Maybe Skellige was a bit OP but even that showed that good deckbuilding is the way to win in this game.

I have no complaints any more. Even the draw mechanic didn't even register as a negative this time. Everything worked just a I would imagine in Gwent. I had my cards at the beginning, then I built a strategy and if I stuck with it well enough, I won.

Kudos to the CDPR team. They really did a terrific job. What did you guys think? I, personally, though that this test went smashingly well.

Feeling the same way about the card draw mechanic. I was split on it before (leaning negative), but I felt like it made a lot more sense today with the better balanced decks. I played about 30 matches tonight and I only felt like it worked against me once where I was completely dominated.

The decks were so balanced that the card draws between rounds which is something I'm not a fan of even with these free draws the game didn't feel too luck depending

Dont get ahead of yourself there. Decks was small so randomness was reduced but still doesn't make the draw mechanic good. Imo draw card mechanic is bad for the game cause makes the outcome of the game luck dependable. First Murphy's law says: If anything can go wrong sooner or later will go wrong in other words you gonna sooner or later lose a game because of that mechanic.

Last edited:
The decks were somewhat balanced, not totally, and they were definitely under-powered and simplistic. It was a great test and much improved and I've come off the harsh attitude against the card draw mechanic. That said, I do think the round 3 draw 1 is a problem. Drawing on round 2 isn't as bad as most players still have some cards left and 2 draws helps formulate a coherent strategy for the round.

The problem with round 3 is the depleted resources, making that last card pivotal. Combine this with the fact that the Round 1 loser most likely had to overextend in round 2 and it's a fairly big concern over the RNG for round 3.

I have no complaints any more. Even the draw mechanic didn't even register as a negative this time. Everything worked just a I would imagine in Gwent. I had my cards at the beginning, then I built a strategy and if I stuck with it well enough, I won.

Kudos to the CDPR team. They really did a terrific job. What did you guys think? I, personally, though that this test went smashingly well.

Yeah it went awesome! I had so much fun with the Skellige and Scoia'tael decks and all of the new cards

The spies worked great and I really enjoyed playing the draw 2 replace 2 cards like Birna Bran, The Last Wish ect. (after I figured out how to discard two before my clock ran out)

The decks were so balanced that the card draws between rounds which is something I'm not a fan of even with these free draws the game didn't feel too luck depending

Exactly! I played 14 games and not once did I have a single bad beat due to card draws. Even in the one or two games where it came down to the last round and we both had one card left. The games that I did not win were due to me not planning my redraws at the beginning or not paying attention to my opponents plays

Dont get ahead of yourself there. Decks was small so randomness was reduced but still doesn't make the draw mechanic good. Imo draw card mechanic is bad for the game cause makes the outcome of the game luck dependable. First Murphy's law says: If anything can go wrong sooner or later will go wrong in other words you gonna sooner or later loose a game because of that mechanic.

It's just a broken record now on every single thread this is brought up as a negative. Yes even pros like you will eventually lose a game and those of us that don't care about the new mechanic are just 'casual' players lol let's just move on now:disgust:

I could seem to play the game :( all i got was " there are no free servers available to play. Please try in a few minutes."

Last edited:
The spies worked great and I really enjoyed playing the draw 2 replace 2 cards like Birna Bran, The Last Wish ect. (after I figured out how to discard two before my clock ran out)

Exactly! I played 14 games and not once did I have a single bad beat due to card draws. Even in the one or two games where it came down to the last round and we both had one card left. The games that I did not win were due to me not planning my redraws at the beginning or not paying attention to my opponents plays:

I have to say i didn't like last wish and brima, you sacrifice 2 gold spots and at least 1 cards to get very moderate results. Also, scoiatell, leader ability was not great (that maybe is a problem with the way that deck was built)

As far as card draw goes, its still a problem. You have been lucky, i had 3 games completely decided by card draw, i have to say it feel really great to lose a game because you have drawn clear weather and opponent draws manticore. :) Still a massive problem. However, i would say the second round card draw was not as bad, having said that, there was not many cards that depended on synergy with other cards. When you will built a deck based on muster, tight bond, this will be a big problem

The decks were somewhat balanced, not totally, and they were definitely under-powered and simplistic.

Which I think was done on purpose. I mean would you want to shot ALL the cards of each faction in a server test?
I though they were quite balanced, in fact I disagree with @op that Skellige was OP, I though Skellige was good against NR and Scoia, but against monsters you had a pretty hard time. It was more of a "deck X is good against deck Y" balance, which kind of makes sense if you consider each faction has their own abilities and that all decks were standardized and limited to relatively "normal" cards because obviously you do not show all cards in a server test.

From what I played I would say that was the way things were:

Monsters > Skellige
Skellige ~ Scoiateal
Skellige/Scoiatael > NR
NR > Scoia (possibly)

NR was by far the weakest one, and I think I would not have won with them was it not for Foltest still copying silver cards (although the description says bronze). The promotion system is good at times, but NR still felt definitely under-powered and everything about them screamed "advanced players only". With skill you were able to win against the other decks, but it was hard.

As for Monsters... -.-
I still ask myself why they had 2 freaking frost cards in this deck + Caranthir (who also has frost effect). Every other faction had 1x clear weather, making monster an effective melee unit killer (which was especially devastating against Skellige and (partially) NR).

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in this event, and I can't wait for the beta (oh I hope I'm in the beta).

Like I said in another thread, I actually LIKED the draw mechanic in round 2. Still hate it in round 3 though, saved me too many times where I would have deserved to loose.

I have to say i didn't like last wish and brima, you sacrifice 2 gold spots and at least 1 cards to get very moderate results. Also, scoiatell, leader ability was not great (that maybe is a problem with the way that deck was built)

I think that really highly depends on your playstyle. I personally was also not really comfortable with those cards, but I got used to it and it helps quite a lot somtimes, and not at all at other times. So it's really a gamble. Another RNG element if you will. Depending on how you will eventually play your game and build your deck I think you do not need them. If your deck is based on strategy rather than chance then I am sure that card is NOT in there. Although playing the game now made me realize that MOST of the time strategy wins, but there are also cases when RNG just has that extra edge and gives you enemy the lucky draws they need to win it in the end. So even if you are the top Gwent player in the world one day, and have the best strategy deck you will never win ALL matches. Keep that in mind folks.

Last edited:
Overall the game was awesome.

There was some few things I didn't liked tho.

For example, I feel that the whole coin flipping thing after each turn is a bit unnecessary, it only takes time and screen space. Just let it work as it is in TW3, the moment you play your turn, its over, and it's instantly the other player turn, instead of having to wait for all the fancy animations of the coin, etc.

Also, give us the option to customize the desk, so we can make it look like the one from TW3 if we so desire.

Give us the option to change the way some cards look, make it true to the original in the literal sense. Keep the current look, but also give the option for the "classic" look.

Hopefully, with time, we can see all of that becoming a reality, for now, lets just hope it does. :)

Overall the game was awesome.

There was some few things I didn't liked tho.

For example, I feel that the whole coin flipping thing after each turn is a bit unnecessary, it only takes time and screen space. Just let it work as it is in TW3, the moment you play your turn, its over, and it's instantly the other player turn, instead of having to wait for all the fancy animations of the coin, etc.

Also, give us the option to customize the desk, so we can make it look like the one from TW3 if we so desire.

Give us the option to change the way some cards look, make it true to the original in the literal sense. Keep the current look, but also give the option for the "classic" look.

Hopefully, with time, we can see all of that becoming a reality, for now, lets just hope it does. :)

I can forsee skins and board designs will be a big seller if Gwent ends up being popular (which I hope it does obviously)

The problem with round 3 is the depleted resources, making that last card pivotal. Combine this with the fact that the Round 1 loser most likely had to overextend in round 2 and it's a fairly big concern over the RNG for round 3.
Agreed. I lost few matches because of opponent's "TOPKEK". I hate Hearthstone because of this foocking thing, where your Aggro Shaman opponent with empty hand, after your hard, almost successful defense, topkeks Lava Burst and summons Wrath of Air Totem, and kills your 6-health hero. Gwent need to avoid this as much as possible.

Like I said in another thread, I actually LIKED the draw mechanic in round 2. Still hate it in round 3 though, saved me too many times where I would have deserved to loose.
Yup, it works on other way too. But personally I do not enjoy the win, where I was worst the whole game, but really lucky at last draw.

Anyway, yesterday test was very well, and gave me a lot of joy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom