Am I a traitor my ST brothers?

+
Aard Dagur actually sounds neat.
The only decision I am unsure about would be Regis, has he worked out for you ?
I am still somewhat under the impression that (unless you run Eithne) Regis would be somewhat unreliable and uncontrolable.
Your list looks somewhat more like a Bran deck, than an Arnjolf deck though.

Your list actually appears to be a lot of fun to pilot, though I wonder why you do not run Champion's Charge.

Arnjolf's ability actually makes Regis quite easy to pull off; Aard is in there to line up more units if needed. Those 2 cards play quite nicely together. Nivellen is the obvious alternative but you'd be missing out on damage that Aard provides to better coordinate the Regis sweep.

It's a trickier list to pilot because you'll be tempted to keep all your key cards (ie Dagur, Regis, Aard) for the big combo at the end. At times, it's better to go aggressive round 1 by throwing Dagur down and getting some damage in with Ocvist & Delirium. It really depends on what kind of hand you're starting out with.

Ideally you want to keep the Trophy Catches for Coral but sometimes it's better to use them on a momentum swinging, row dependent card (Corvo & Avallach come to mind).

Champion's Charge might be worth teching in over Djenge given the prominence of MO. Good suggestion there. I wouldn't swap it out for Ulfheddin because the deck needs those damage on deploy cards to trigger the bloodthirst units.

RRC :

You don't have to apologize, my fellow Scoiata'el, at least you tried to use Eldain recently.

Right now, I'm only playing my Francesca deck, which is definitely more effective than Eldain.

I like everything about Eldain : his appearance on Thronebreaker, his battle theme, his card... even his ability is interesting...

But as an archetype, for the moment, traps are too weak. And if you want to use Eldain properly, you have to mix traps and elven swarm archetypes, which is even more difficult.

His recent buff is welcome, but most of the time, you don't really have the opportunity to convert 4 traps into elves.

Such a pity... In the end, I always end up playing Francesca :).

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
[...]
But as an archetype, for the moment, traps are too weak. And if you want to use Eldain properly, you have to mix traps and elven swarm archetypes, which is even more difficult.
[...]
Honestly it is not difficult at all, the problem is that the deck, despite that, is fragile, low provision traps are relatively low impact and it is a 2 Round Strategy at best.
To be fair losing to Gernichora is not hurting Eldain, by that logic Eldain would move between place 1 and 2.
Any wins and Eldain potentially beating out Meve or Ardal would benefit him.
Come to think of it, why is there not a prize for the second and third place ?
The new trap Treant Mantis: Stalk and "The Great Oak" will help Eldain tempo a lot.
The biggest issue is that the traps Eldain uses have to be balanced around being low provision cards, due to that they are obviously "low" impact.
New traps and actual high provision tempo cards like Treant Mantis: Stalk (and potentially more new traps) on top of The Great Oak as an actual tempo card will help remedy those issues.

People naturally stack high Provision cards for Round 3 and guess what no trap (apart from Pitfall Trap) is ?

Honestly it is not difficult at all, the problem is that the deck, despite that, is fragile, low provision traps are relatively low impact and it is a 2 Round Strategy at best.

My main problem is that Elf Swarm strategy and Traps strategy often enter into conflict.

Ideally, a Elf Swarm player wants to summon Aelirenn as soon as possible and play Yaevinn and Isengrim F as finishers.
A Traps player wants to play crushing traps and pitfall trap as finishers.

Which means that if you combine both archetypes, sometimes, you have to play a specific card sooner than you want.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
My main problem is that Elf Swarm strategy and Traps strategy often enter into conflict.

Ideally, a Elf Swarm player wants to summon Aelirenn as soon as possible and play Yaevinn and Isengrim F as finishers.
A Traps player wants to play crushing traps and pitfall trap as finishers.

Which means that if you combine both archetypes, sometimes, you have to play a specific card sooner than you want.
But you also have a finisher for a previous round and there is no such thing as too much power.
One Neophyte + 3 Deadeyes pull out Aeliren, it would be difficult if the Traps would not be transformable into synergetic elves.
Pulling Aelirenn later takes 1 point out of your plays, which sounds neglectable.
Pitfall Trap not being the only finisher is actually beneficial, threatening a negation on the last play or before that.
If you have last say you do not want to finish on Pitfall and if you do not have last say your opponent could respond to your Elven finisher anyways.

And besides any card can be forced out earlier than wanted, that is basicly what the dominance keyword leads to as well.
You wouldn't believe how often Wild Hunt Hound or Strigga get bricked (by non-Monster faction just as regularly, which is kind of funny to note).

rrc

Forum veteran
RRC :

You don't have to apologize, my fellow Scoiata'el, at least you tried to use Eldain recently.

Right now, I'm only playing my Francesca deck, which is definitely more effective than Eldain.

I like everything about Eldain : his appearance on Thronebreaker, his battle theme, his card... even his ability is interesting...

His recent buff is welcome, but most of the time, you don't really have the opportunity to convert 4 traps into elves.

Such a pity... In the end, I always end up playing Francesca :).
Francesca is my favorite leader too. Pre-HC I mainly played with Eithnè. I like their versatile ability. I have mastered Francesca (100 wins) and hence I want to play other leaders. With this challenge, I am doing Eldain (rarely winning though :p) and will probably continue till I reach 100 wins which may take years :p

Thanks fellow Commando.

I did well with Eldain in the challenge, maxed out all achievements.

sure I'm not in pro rank so I'm not facing the strongest opponents.

rrc

Forum veteran
I have done my part, the max I could do. Share your points fellow commandos!

Eldain8Points.jpg

Damn it.. I can't share the full image. It gets cramped. I had got 8 points for Eldain. Is there a way to let this post show the full image?

I also contributed with 7 points. I could try to get 8, but I thought, it is too much of extra work, which would not change final standings anyway and also my initial fast run to goal was halted with 5th quest. Before that, I made 4 points in 2 days ...

Top Bottom