Am I the only who thinks this is way worse than the original gwent?

+
Am I the only who thinks this is way worse than the original gwent?

Gwent in the Wticher 3 was surprisingly addictive- it was simple to learn yet hard to master. It revitalized card games for me- I hated Magic, Pokemon, ect and had sworn them all off for decades...then I found the Witcher 3's Gwent and loved it HARD and wished for an expansion....this online Gwent is, sadly, not it.

Gwent "online" is 10x more complicated and the matchmaking bad! I often wished for harder opponents in the Witcher 3's Gwent battles, and that would have been great to simply open the full decks up to the online community (so there're no pay wall's involved)...but that didn't happen.

I feel that the characteristic that made the Witcher 3's Gwent so popular were that it was so playable. Next to nobody played the "dice-poker" mini-game in the Witcher 2 because it was (mainly) over-complicated, and was as boring as watching flaccid, polygonal dicks roll across a table. Now, we just have another online game where skill is nothing and dollars are everything. You can be a phenomenal Gwent player from 3, but it won't matter unless you have $60 in card keg's to get ahead of everyone else.

Don't get me wrong- I love that CD Projekt Red doesn't tailor to the masses, and have made this side-game. Hence, in a time of carbon-copy-games, they have revitalized the industry at it's most desperate and crucial hour. Solely the semantics of this game (and the pay-walls) don't make sense to me.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here...I guess mainly I'm surprised that "Gwent Online" has managed to be worse than the original. I want it to be good, and could certainly give specifics (I'm aware it's a beta and I'm certainly thankful for the authorization to test it).

Let me know if you'd like to hear specifics. I'm sorry, but this game (in it's current state) is terrible, and yet has potential...please don't give up CDPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue text incoming!

Also, try to at least get to level 10 before you judge this game so harshly. It's not easy to learn, but it is truly a fun and tactical game.

Last edited:
Wow, glad to know you love CD Projekt; I don't even want to think what would you write if you hated them...

This game has very little incentives to get one to play past (or even through) the tutorial. For someone with Witcher 3 Gwent knowlege it is probably a 1/20 win ratio off of smartly modified starter decks. Also, I have learned to play as the Scoitel deck, as they seem to be the only deck (other than the occasional Skillige deck with the War Cry and/or dimeritium bomb method) capable of defeating any trolls who have already spent $1000.00 on their beta decks. I shudder to think of the alpha version (especially if they get to keep their decks).

Don't even know what you're saying here. The dice game was over-complicated, yet boring at the same time? I get the latter, because there's not much behind the mechanic than guessing odds (can't influence the outcome), but what exactly is complicated about it, or even over-complicated?

You say the same about gwent. You liked how it was in witcher? Which means you grind through the game until you get golds and spies and then you win every game? In that case I'm sorry for you, but I personally am really glad they complicated the online gwent.

mmullaney;n7120490 said:
This game has very little incentives to get one to play past (or even through) the tutorial. For someone with Witcher 3 Gwent knowlege it is probably a 1/20 win ratio off of smartly modified starter decks. Also, I have learned to play as the Scoitel deck, as they seem to be the only deck (other than the occasional Skillige deck with the War Cry and/or dimeritium bomb method) capable of defeating any trolls who have already spent $1000.00 on their beta decks. I shudder to think of the alpha version (especially if they get to keep their decks).

1-Just no. Maybe you are a genius, otherwise, there is no way a Scoia starter deck can beat a real, advanced deck of another faction.
2-A lot of people with strong decks didn't spend a dime on kegs. I have all Scoia'tael cards just playing the game for a month. Also, people who spent money on this are not trolls. They are players just like you and me who deserve respect and could be offended by your words.
3-Witcher 3 Gwent, as much as I liked it, wasn't hard to master as you say. Not at all. Since the moment you had enough spies, you were the gwent master.
4-Matchmaking is an ongoing issue, the devs are improving it.
5-Read the forum rules.
6-Read the forum rules twice.
7-This is closed Beta. You were given a key for providing constructive criticism and reporting bug, not for ranting. It seems that you are aware of that, so play the part.
8-I usually don't answer post like yours, but I'm very feed up with "uuh, is pay to win", "uuuh, CD Projekt you rocked before but now you've made I game I don't like", "uuuh, I'm going to unistall this game". Just try to play the game for a while, as I understand that because of the matchmaking it could be hard for newcomers. Check the forums for strategies, play a bit more, and maybe you'll be surprised. There are many post in the same vein as yours, just check and you'll find wotrhy answers.
9-Seriously read the rules. Profanity is a no-no. Maybe you'll want to edit your post...

Guess that proves my point.

I could go point-to-point with you guys but my goal is to send a constructive message: I am the average gamer. This is a beta. The game could be much better. If anyone has an outlet for me to send specifics to I'd gladly hear it. Not sure why I posted here because (as I feared) it's apparently just fodder for trolls. I do want the game to be better, but I guess this is not the place to talk about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the game to be better, name specific concerns the devs and community can understand instead of posting contradictive rants, that's all. Nobody gets trolled here for criticism. BTW you weren't trolled, because we were reacting honestly to your post.
Also nobody ever said the game was perfect. That's you missing the point of these posts.

Necro_Man_Ser;n7120810 said:
If you want the game to be better, name specific concerns the devs and community can understand...

If anyone has an outlet for me to send specifics to I'd gladly hear it.

mmullaney;n7120840 said:
If anyone has an outlet for me to send specifics to I'd gladly hear it.

This forum is that outlet you seek. You can't just dismiss the entire population here as trolls because of a few posts. Just write down the specifics and lets actually talk about the game.

paladine_ I appreciate your response man, and I don't mean to dismiss the population. Part of why I'm reaching out through this desperate (and apparently, failed) post is to see if everyone's crazy, or it's just me.

I just can't believe that I'm the only one who feels that this game is worse than the original.

And PS: Necro_Man_Ser I don't hate you, and I appreciate your response too. This said, I worked in customer service for far too long and know that the "thank you for your feedback" shit is just customer placation. No-devs read these.

((Please, someone prove me wrong)).

mmullaney;n7120490 said:
who have already spent $1000.00 on their beta decks.
Ok, I am curious.

If you run into a deck using:

Eithne, Igni, Aglais, Borkh, Ciri, Toruviel, Nature's Gift, Decoy, Ciaran, Johnny, Ida + mix of common/rares

Is this a case of "who have already spent $1000.00 on their beta decks"?

@mmullaney How do you expect to be taken seriously if you have only barely finished the tutorial. You can't even mill cards until lvl 3, let alone get the full scope of the game. HAVE A NICE DAY AND A PONY OF LOVE

Some posts have been edited or deleted. Do not insult or ridicule others or the topic will get locked and further actions may be taken against accounts. If you are new and have not yet read the Forum Rules & Regulations, I would suggest you do so.

Also, the reds (devs) definitely read these threads and post in them quite frequently.

Last edited:
mmullaney;n7120230 said:
Gwent "online" is 10x more complicated

mmullaney;n7120230 said:
Gwent in the Wticher 3 was surprisingly addictive- it was simple to learn yet hard to master.

I was afraid of such comments right when The Witcher 3 was released in May 2015 and people were asking CDPR for a Standalone Game!
It seems like some people don't understand the difference between a sp minigame and a full MP oriented Cardgame... Sure it's way more complicated and is harder than the minigame version of TW3. In TW3 people played as Geralt and had a nice "break" with a few rounds of Gwent here and there. It felt cool to collect them all and beat all the NPCs in the game. It was great in what it was, an addition to the great TW3 game.

In order to make the game "fun" for people that want to focus on GWENT as a Full Game, where you invest a few hours per day, the devs had to change quite some things.
  • I agree Spies + Decoys were really fun in The Witcher 3, but it should be clear for everyone that this wouldn't make much fun in a Multiplayer game (without making it Hardcore P2W, e.g: You have to get the 1 or 0 strength spy, to win games)
  • Same thing can be told about the commander horn. In TW3 you played it and could basically add as many monsters as you want to that row, in the GWENT game, cards that after played after, won't get a buff.
These are just 2 simple examples of changes that had to been made, to make the game fun and fair for PvP and F2P purposes. I hope it got a bit more clear now. I expected (and the guys at cdpr probably did,too) that of all people that said "Gwent is fantastic." or "Best Game within a Game" to Gwent in The Witcher 3, around 50% will never like the Multiplayer content of the standalone gwent, but that's how it works. In exchange people that played other Cardgames before, but don't like RPGs, will probably give the Gwent Standalone a try :)

mmullaney;n7121220 said:
paladine_ I appreciate your response man, and I don't mean to dismiss the population. Part of why I'm reaching out through this desperate (and apparently, failed) post is to see if everyone's crazy, or it's just me.

I just can't believe that I'm the only one who feels that this game is worse than the original.

And PS: Necro_Man_Ser I don't hate you, and I appreciate your response too. This said, I worked in customer service for far too long and know that the "thank you for your feedback" shit is just customer placation. No-devs read these.

((Please, someone prove me wrong)).

I know what you mean, I also work in a customer oriented job and I know the phrases. Yet, I only use them on customers demanding out of the question stuff who can't seemingly be reasoned with. Otherwise we give honest answers.

In case of CDPR, they have always been community oriented. Their additional content for games is always free, except expansions which hold 3 times the value of other full priced games.
They do listen. How to prove it? For example, the patches are always orientied by the biggest complains here in the forum. You will see more proof when promote gets nerfed and yours truly, poor Necro_Man_Ser, will be crying in the corner because he spent 800 scrap on roach.

What I fail to understand there is people wishing it was more like Gwent in TW3, which was hilariously broken. I'm near the end of my playthrough of Witcher, and my Gwent deck consists of spies, a few decoys, and gold cards. I literally cannot lose, because I open with spies, decoy any spies played against me, and then play my gold cards which are invulnerable and have generally much higher strength.

Scoiatel and Monsters are almost impossible to get running in TW3 because some of their cards are so tough to get. Skellige (Added in B&W) is just clunky as heck with a very obvious "I'm going to berserk this row" style. This game, while not perfect, is much more balanced and well organized, with more possibilities for all factions, and less dependence on just stacking spies to get card advantage.

Pawel1995 I agree that it's strange going from a solely single-player existence to the vast (and quick paced) realm of multiplayer, and that it's not an easy transition.

I know it's strange, but I imagine there must be other gamers out there who never play online (or PvP), who've spent months on the Witcher series, Skyrim, Fallout, ect. I took a chance off my love of the Witcher 3's Gwent, but have been met with the horrors I expected.

CDPR has released more free DLC's for their games than any other developer I've seen. Yet, in Gwent online, real money is introduced (which in my mind = a huge subtraction of skill from the game). Your knowledge of the game < how much money you've spent on decks/or how many days you've been farming. In my mind it's the trait which makes mobile games so deplorable (and also the opposite of great single player games/companies like CDPR). Ironic, I suppose...but now I've opened another can of worms... *braces for impact*

Top Bottom