Any use for consumables?

+
Don't pick food and drink up. Just wastes time and bulks your inventory. Food and drink is everywhere. just eat and drink it, as you need, when you find it. Never had a stamina problem but the food will keep you hit points bar filled. The ram/health boosters come in handy in the early game or against bosses if your using a Net runner build.
You don't need any of it . The system seems fine though. The problem really is that the game is too easy and the AI needs a bit of tweaking.
As to whether your missing something? It's too early to tell.
drinks are good for crafting ;)

I kinda was hoping for the buffs to work similar to the build they showed in 2018 whereby on a mission you take it to slow down time, when I found that they turned this into a quick-hack/upgrade rather than a buff I was slightly annoyed mainly due to it having the dredd movie vibe (schlomo).

From a dev standpoint is it too embedded into the code to alter that now?

They exist only to clutter up your inventory.

Oh, and to block anything useful you may want to pick up.

My current V is a streetkid so I make downing at least 6 alcoholic beverages before getting behind the wheel a point of emphasis. People complain about the lead time for making turns with the current mini-map....

If you're asking about the drugs (the boost stuff the drug dealers pawn off)... well, I did willingly take a puff at a certain point in the main narrative. Otherwise, not really. My current V is geared toward not being seen in the first place. Unless it's a crime in progress mission. For those I activate rambo mode.

No use to them, as far as I can see. I've completed the game without it.

Funny fact there are so many bars, food stores and pharmacies on the map. Does someone actually buy something from it?

Sometimes i wish a sell all food and drinks next to the sell all junk button wich ofc should ignore healkits.

I only used alcohol for role playing purposes, after some dark, messed up quests, in clubs etc.

Same. While chugging irl(not always).

Imo these items would've served a better purpose if we could hold stuff like in Skyrim and throw them around. I'd honestly take that over the huge amount of breakable objects in the game. It could make for some pretty sandboxy plays like throwing stuff as a distraction or a ramen pack to an enemy's face for comedic effect.

And there should've been some kind of scarcity to Bounce Back so other consumables would serve their uses.

Last edited:
I guess the food and drinks are just there to say "well this game is a rpg because food increase you health and so on!".
:/

I guess the food and drinks are just there to say "well this game is a rpg because food increase you health and so on!".
:/

And to underline this statement, the very first dlc for this will add a pee feature if you drank to much. The animation is already in the game, saw enough npc pissing.

Guest 4402625

There were one or two useful consumables that gives you extra ram or some good stats for about 30 minutes. But %99.9 of them useless.

They sound useful as far as the description goes. I however never found myself in a position where I needed them in that they were a saving grace.

Well, I've been overencumbered in several small occasions, but I remedied this by scrapping what I didn't want.

I've posted some suggestions to make it useful here :

I usually eat/drink whatever I find immediately. It's a nice automatic way to top up health between fights, and there's plenty of it. Allows me to spend my perk points elsewhere, instead of on out-of-combat health regen.

Why can't consumable items be quick slotted like the health stims and grenades? to me there is seemingly no point to food items and even boosters.
That's a good idea i wonder what they were going to do with them in the first place? I honestly think they were going to have a better role in the game but got cut short.

Guest 4564903

I use consumables a lot in Cyberpunk, the system is the same in Outer Worlds. I just OD on a load before getting into a fight, I feel that's what they are for and hence the reason for there not being a hotkey and the abundance of them throughout the world.

Capacity and health boosters. Love them.
this - capacity is super cool, health as well although i use last one less than first one.
Post automatically merged:

I keep trying to drink so much my character passes out, but he won't :(
ik its getting old but this is one of my favs features in gta(o)... i got wasted after every big job i do in los santos cause its just funny to drink or take drugs over there and see what happens next. never eat something in cp tho... no reason, no animation, no fun.... no purpose.

Last edited:
I was gonna write a topic some time ago how useless the most consumables feel (or maybe I wrote it already)

There's currently 2 consumables that are at least semi-useful.

The first one is increasing carrying capacity by 50%, the other one is increasing ram by 2.
Everything else can be just shamelessly sold (with exception of healing items (though even those weakest ones can be getting rid of)). Healing items are just far stronger than these drugs that last like 10 minutes.

Even the ones increasing Stamina generation don't really do much. Perhaps if you're fighting boxing match you could have one but generally not a huge influence.

Definitely they could take some inspiration from games like WoW or even Witcher on how to make these consumables.

Even if it was something as stupid as "Eat/Drink to receive increase of 100 armor. Lasts 10 minutes." it would be better than 99% of the bottles and drugs.

Going little bit wild with them is okay. Add more elements into the game, new gangs that use electric weapons, some that use poison etc, and then introduce these special gear / potions to protect from it.

Top Bottom