Baldur's Gate III

+

Got the early access for this one earlier this week and am really enjoying it so far. Any body else playing it? Loving it? Hating it? Thread's for all convo about the game ...

I played it on EA release. Great game indeed. It was hard to play because of the bugs, but still the potential is huge.
Larian are probably my favourite RPG makers this far, waiting for the BG3 final release. For now I like it even more than Divinity OS2 (which I like a lot too).

bought it but, ehh I'll wait for monk or main release. If its good it'll be annoying to wait who knows how long until release

I'm just 5 hours in, and am enjoying it. Have I crashed? Yes. Have I been hit by bugs? Many, yes. But there is so much potential and the game is already better than others I've played.

I do wish we had a voiced protagonist though.

I picked it up do fill the void that Cyberpunk left....

I would have liked it if not for the D&D ruleset.

I far prefer Divinity's combat to Dungeon and Dragon's RNG miss-a-rama. I don't like my combat outcomes to come down to dice rolls, and neither for story branches.

Casters feel especially bad because you're locked to two cantrips (free spells you don't run out of), and you can only cast a cantrip once and then use up expendable spell slots for the other spells, in the beginning on the vicinity of two spells.

The end product is that on my warlock I virtually just use eldritch blast and then another spell, be it CC or Hex, as my sole gameplay loop.

To make it worse, you are forced to play like a rogue no matter what class you are, because you want to sneak by to the high ground to be able to land spells somewhat reliably, otherwise you're missing half your spells without elevation bonuses. This forces you into a static gameplay strategy where you just constantly sneak all game long to start a fight on the high ground to not miss half your abilities, or pay to gain the Misty Step spell to teleport yourself to a high ground, but then you sacrifice a spell slot for that.

Need to be elevated to miss less. Need to not be facing the mob for an even higher hit chance bonus, I virtually have to play like a Backstab rogue as a mage or warrior to not spend 3 turns whiffing abilities while enemies use you for a pin cushion.

And then? In a single battle you spend all your spell slots, so then are forced into a short rest for the first refresh of spells and then a long rest.

It makes the game really tedious and slow, and I miss the amount of ability combos you could do with Divinity instead as a caster, and without the bullshit RNG dice rolls.

The main good thing is the IP, lore, environment, and especially graphics are vastly improved over Divinity. But as far as gameplay it's a far less enjoyable game for me.

I'm waiting for a mod that removes all the dice roll miss bullshit from combat. I don't like losing a fight because the dice roll went the wrong way on a critical skill.

Ehh, I'm a bit baffled by many of the design choices and will see if it changes.

Like you are pretty much forced to save-scum conversations because you get punished SO heavily for failing them, and the skill-checks are just absolutely idiotically high.

Another thing is the completely and utterly shit environmental effects that have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER in DnD. Keep that retarded barrelmancy shit in Divinity where throwing a barrel at someone is more effective than a fireball.

Unless these things are addressed, I'll not bother touching it.

My first and last experience with anything "early access". Not because it's ill practice, but I just prefer playing finished games, not testing them for devs.

BGIII is a gorgeous game with decent old school RPG mechanics, but my god is writing in it weak? It's like it was written by barely out of school girls, who spend their days flipping through instagram. Larian needs to hire old and balding men (30+ or older), who saw life, who understand how people talk and who mastered words.

Games like BG3 and other remind me why I'm eager to forgive shallow game design of CDPR's games, because I can just enjoy excellent writing.

I never played baldurs gate 3, but I played part of the first one, and I'm pretty familiar with DnD. I have a lvl 12 monk nicknamed Don the Brawler. Technically his nam ed is Dolan but that's his nickname.

I'd be considering playing baldurs gate three but I'd want to finish baldurs gate 1 and 2 before I even considered playing 3. So much to do that i just don't even play baldurs gate 1 like ever. I don't even play cyberpunk 2077 as often as I'd like.

Very sad about it being turnbased, which means a no for me. I don't hate turnbased, I know the pro arguments, I know Divinity was the Greatest and that D&D is in it's roots of course turnbased. But I can't get into it, I grew up with the real time with pause games like Neverwinter Nights and loved them. In my pile of shame I have countless turn-based RPGs that I vowed to give a chance (Wasteland, Shadowrun, etc.), but I can't get over the battles, they kill the story flow for me and have given up on all of them early on.

It's been a while since I played a turn-based game, it's not my favorite mode, but I grew up on Fallout 1-2 (glad I did), so I got used to it early in my life.

To necro a somewhat old thread:
I'd be considering playing baldurs gate three but I'd want to finish baldurs gate 1 and 2 before I even considered playing 3. So much to do that i just don't even play baldurs gate 1 like ever. I don't even play cyberpunk 2077 as often as I'd like.
You can skip the first 2 games without much problems and go right to 3 (I think). You will probably miss some....uhh what was the word....callbacks to the 2 old ones, but it is a new game, with nothing (or maybe little?) to do with the Bhaalspawn and so on....
That being said it is still in development, so you may want to wait a year or two:)

As for the game, I played just the first patch (then the game become too big for my SSD :) ), but from what I did play I was pleasantly surprised. Ignoring the bugs (ofcourse), the game had good graphics (not the most important thing, but it is nice if there) nice amount of dialogue, interesting companions etc. I am glad I pre-ordered it.

You can skip the first 2 games without much problems and go right to 3 (I think). You will probably miss some....uhh what was the word....callbacks to the 2 old ones, but it is a new game, with nothing (or maybe little?) to do with the Bhaalspawn and so on....
That being said it is still in development, so you may want to wait a year or two:)
Yeah I mean this game is supposed to be around the time of Descent in Avernus right? That's in the year 1494 DR. Baldur's Gate II is in the year 1369 or so. There's definitely enough time that's gone by that most of the prior games will likely be little more than lore in III.

Combat is a lot more dynamic with all the class specific perks. Shove is VERY useful, and the ability to use environmental factors other than positioning, LOS and height makes it less of a hack-and-slash and more of a "What if I try this?"

I'm only about 20 percent of the way in. I honestly could do without some of the characters, and the battles that you expect to be a tough fight aren't - and the ones that are just frustrate the heck out of you, but when you prevail, victory is indeed sweet.

I wonder at what stage is this game. I remember the developers saying that there are 3 parts and they only released part 1 on launch. Did they release the other 2 parts? Or am I getting something wrong? I want to buy this game, but I want it finished, polished.

It will probably be ready at the start of 22. Or maybe later. But I doubt it will be 23....

As for what stage it is in development: no idea:) At one point I followed some youtube channels about the game, but haven't in some time.
Post automatically merged:

I wonder at what stage is this game. I remember the developers saying that there are 3 parts and they only released part 1 on launch. Did they release the other 2 parts? Or am I getting something wrong? I want to buy this game, but I want it finished, polished.
The game is in early access. From what I heard they did something similar with Divinity 2 and that game needed a year to go from early access to finished product, and considering how big BG3 seems to be I would give them 1.5 if not 2 years:)

Last edited:
Saw a few demos of this game. And, I did play Divinity before. Game play looks very similar. So similar in that it seems every single battle you fight in a pool of blood, fire, water or frozen water. So either you're on fire, slowed, frozen or slipping and falling prone. I'll have to pass. Although, the story looks very good and the characters seem compelling.

Saw a few demos of this game. And, I did play Divinity before. Game play looks very similar. So similar in that it seems every single battle you fight in a pool of blood, fire, water or frozen water. So either you're on fire, slowed, frozen or slipping and falling prone. I'll have to pass. Although, the story looks very good and the characters seem compelling.

The combat is following 5e d&d rules very closely, so it is different than DOS2. A bit too closely if you ask me:)

The recent patch upped the difficulty of some encounters. I breezed through with my warlock. I use Laz, Ast and Shadow as party members. At least they sort of fixed barrelmancy.

Top Bottom