Black screen on load, but can hear sound. Unplayable, help!

+
Black screen on load, but can hear sound. Unplayable, help!

EDIT: I solved the issue by uninstalling then reinstalling my Nvidia graphics drivers. No idea what happened to them, but apparently they got corrupted or something somehow.

I'm in Skellige and was at the dock area where you meet Yen. After that cutscene I came across fistfighting. I sign up and the guy asks me to throw the fight to which I agree. We do a rematch and this time I win. The game then freezes for a couple seconds, goes black, stays black but I can hear game sounds, then a few seconds later the game crashes.

Ever since then every time I load up a save it will get past the part of Dandelion talking about what's going on to the story, then to the other screen that gives gameplay tips with the loading bar and circle in the bottom left, except there is no longer a bar and the circle soon stops moving. Then the game visually freezes on this image dimming in preparation to showing me the game, except it never gets that far. It's just frozen on this black screen, but I can hear everything going on in the background, even move my character and press esc for the menu, I just can't see anything. Also Steam overlay doesn't work.

Validating files found a single 148mb file missing, but afterwards I've still got the same problem. I've tried validating again but it says all files are there.

tl;dr When I load a save the screen is black but I can hear everything that goes on as if it's normal.

Windows 7
GTX 960
AMD FX 6120 six-core processor
10gb ram

Last edited:
Top Bottom