Blade Runner (1997 video game)

+

View attachment 2010

While we wait for Cyberpunk anyone replaying this gem?

Im not fan of adventure games but this one is incredible. It aged pretty well too art style, music, whole atmosphere are amazing.
Basically it is a side story to the film and captures the mood of it beautifully.

Those who haven't played it yet be warned tho if you think film is slow paced this definitely isn't for you.

Attachments

• bladerunnerwestwood3mf.jpg
    bladerunnerwestwood3mf.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 783
Wow, I remember trying to install that beast back in the day. I think it was 6 CD's, or maybe 8. (It was a bit like trying to install and update WOW time wise.) Took up almost the whole hard-drive once it was installed. Then the message came up that my graphics card couldn't cut it...

...so I never got to play it.

Yes, we're waiting for them to bring it to GOG.com...

I don't think it will happen. Licence for BR ip is just too expensive.

If it ever appears on GOG I'll be first in line to buy it (also had original CDs) but meanwhile dvd version that floats around web works nicely on Win 8.1 ;)

View attachment 2011

Attachments

• 3413-blade2.jpg
    3413-blade2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 77

Forum veteran
Never played it, but heard good things. Looks like used copies are pretty cheap on Amazon, too. What's the DRM situation like? '97 means Tages and Starforce and Steam and all that didn't even exist, but is there anything that would make a used copy cease to work?

Forum veteran
I was under that impression, yeah, but most of the older games I like from that time period are ones I have from GOG, and I wasn't into PC gaming until 2008-ish. Never know if there was something troublesome back then that I just don't know about.

Still, a better question would probably be "how well does it run on modern OSes?" I have both XP and 7. Anyone have any problems running it on either of those?

I've played this one before.

It's a very atmospheric and entertaining adventure game. At times it's crazy logic drove me up the wall though.

Add on top of that action sequences which require fast reflexes and rather frenetic clicking, and the fact that the game randomizes who's a rep and who's human every time a new game is started... well you've got yourself a dang tough adventure game.

It certainly isn't for everybody.

Forum veteran
the fact that the game randomizes who's a rep and who's human every time a new game is started
That sounds pretty cool, actually.

What are we talking about in terms of crazy logic, though? Like on a scale from "bearable" to "The Longest Journey's underwater puzzle"?

What are we talking about in terms of crazy logic, though? Like on a scale from "bearable" to "The Longest Journey's underwater puzzle"?

For me game was fairly easy and somewhat short (3 light gaming sessions) but that made it fun I guess because it didn't drag out.

It is pretty logical and gives clues what to do next if you do good detective work and collect important evidence (which are all stored for review). Some nice gimmicks are used like finding clues in images by super zooming like in the movie or doing Voight-Kampff test on suspects to determine who is rep :)

Near the end there are couple of places where you might get stuck tho so quick reference to the walkthrough might be needed but nothing you couldn't figure out yourself if you had enough patience :) (I'm not adventure game fan so I get annoyed quickly :) )

There are 2 major endings with around 6 (maybe more) variations each. Which one you get is determined by random variables like who is rep and who is human (randomized each time), DNA evidence you collect, your decisions during the game (mostly whom you kill errm I mean "retire" :) )
(+ various game ends where you die or get arrested)

Anyway for anyone who liked the movie this is a must.

View attachment 2030
Sebastian's place :)

Attachments

• blade-runner-los-angeles-752153.jpg
    blade-runner-los-angeles-752153.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Which one you get is determined by random variables like who is rep and who is human (randomized each time)

That's what I find most attractive about this game, that it (apparently) isn't about making accusations on the character that you knew was a replicant from your last playthrough/strategy guide, but actually getting involved in finding out if he is or isn't.

That sounds pretty cool, actually.

Well... I haven't played THAT many adventure games in general, certainly nothing as supposedly hard as Myst or The Longest Journey. My definition of "bearable" might be "easy peasy" to you. That being said, Blade Runner: The Game is certainly at least worth a try. For the most part I agree with what MetalJesusRocks said in his review of the game.

[video=youtube;lDl-ljio9oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDl-ljio9oo[/video]

All this talk of Blade Runner adventure games reminded me of another set of adventure games i've played.

BARN RUNNER, a parody of Blade Runner and general Sci-Fi, is a fairly funny and enjoyable series. I haven't played all of 'em, but what I did play got a few good laughs out of me and wasn't terribly difficult. LOTS of references. Check it out.

http://www.barnrunner.com/games.html

Forum veteran
(I'm not adventure game fan so I get annoyed quickly :) )
I tend to get annoyed in adventures games, too, so I've really only played The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Gray Matter, and maybe two or three others. It's hard to get a feel for which adventure games have completely illogical leaps, so it's good to hear that this game doesn't necessarily require a manual.

And multiple endings? That totally just sold me on this game.

Well... I haven't played THAT many adventure games in general, certainly nothing as supposedly hard as Myst or The Longest Journey. My definition of "bearable" might be "easy peasy" to you.
Eh, I wouldn't say that TLJ is necessarily "hard." I mean, it was the first adventure game I can remember ever playing (only became interested in the genre around late 2012), so it was obviously friendly enough for a complete newbie like me to finish it. There are only a couple times where things don't make much sense, like one part where you have to trap a wizard in a calculator and that insufferable underwater puzzle. Other than that, the whole thing was smooth sailing.

I have that game, im trying playing in virtualbox and work without problems, but screen its limited at 640x480 or 800x600 i dont sure, then its little to play.

my versión its of same year of relase, have 4 CD, in full installation dont ask me a disk (i thought that ever ask).
I remember when my HD dont have enought space to full installation mode xDD

I played it till the third CD(There were 4 cds right? ) .

It was the french version and the voice acting was absolutly atrocious.

The plot didn't hook me the way the movie or the Phillip K Dick novel did. I thought the characters were a bit underdervelopped. I just didn't care about what happened to them.

Great visuals for the time though. I might revisit it when I have the time one day.

Last edited:
If you havent played it you should Check some letsplays like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHkAZlq4HBs

A game like a movie.
Was one of the best Point&Click Adventures I have played.
And the visuals are just WOW for this time!

I also love the atmosphere, the rain, all the time, everywhere was fog, you had a flat with a dog who always waits for you to come home and stuff like this...
the city has its own sound, everything worked perfectly together.

I also played it, several times back in the day. Totally worth it. :)
It's kind of a spin-off of the main (movie) story, which is kind of interesting, so its not a TOTAL ripp off. :p

The atmosphere and the graphics are just amazing for its time. Dialogs are a bit cheesy, but yeah, at that tiem videogame writers were not that good.
The puzzles wont be hard at all, for someone who played somewhat difficult acventure games before. Just remiember you CAN get stuck, as happened with some adventure games of yore, if you did some things "out of order".

The action sequences are also fun and well made, for an adventure game, which is also commendable, with so many adv. of the time getting it wrong on that department.

But the game cracker is the "investigation system", THAT is gold and thats brilliantly adapted from the source material. You'll have a lot of fun scanning photos for clues and interviewing "supposed to be reps" to uncover them. :p

I still have the original CDs and 2 manuals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom