Blood and Wine Crashing

+
The blood and wine expansion pack is either crashing to the desktop or sometimes it will reset my video card. I have a AMD 5700XT card. I have the latest drivers for the card all system components and my system is more than capable of playing the game. This my 5th time through the game. I have reinstalled the game, tried different save states, tried a brand new game and nothing works. The issue presents itself when you go to speak to Annretta for the first time and knight is taking you there at the tourney grounds. As the conversation with the knight is over and next sequence goes to load the game crashes. I have no clue what to do at this point so any help would be much appreciated.

Try to verify/repair the game first:

Also keep in mind that background applications running in the background can cause crashes. Especially applications with overlay feature. Best to close every non-essential background app (including the antivirus program) and disable the gog/steam overlay feature. On Steam I‘d also disable the cloud save feature, as it can cause crashes too.

Sometimes older driver versions work better with the game. Rolling back to an older version might be worth a try.

I did a verify\repair with no change, shut down background programs and whatnot all with not affect. I have tried a few different drivers including the July AMD driver and the issue still happens. I am wondering if it is my video card. This is my first time playing the game in complete with this video card. Before I was using a much older card and with that card I had no issues. I upgrade to the AMD 5700XT Anniversary Edition and issues.

Did you try lowering the settings. Maybe the gpu is struggling with certain in game settings.

I have been having the same issue, with the same card, and trying to narrow things down. The drivers have been unstable, for starters, I have found 20.1.1 to be the most stable thus far. I actually just noticed that there was a new version released today, so I may try that. My crashes are happening in a specific cutscene (entering the arena for part 5 of The Warble of a Smitten Knight). I am crashing to the desktop or just locking up with a black screen and still having audio playing. The driver is crashing but I don't know if that is the origin of the problem or if the engine is just taking it down with it?

Regarding the cache repair - I have installed the game locally from the downloaded GOG backup files. Is there a way to do the repair in my case?

I tried reverting to vanilla (as I have several mods going) but had the same thing happen in the same location. Based on that I am thinking it is either driver related or something is wrong with my save state.

I also tried with a different graphics card (RX 580) and actually made it through the cutscene but was still blackscreening and then coming back to the game repeatedly after the action started, without going all the way down. This makes me feel like it is a combination of the driver and the RX 5700 XT.

I have actually ordered an RTX 2070 Super because I have had enough of AMD's driver shenanigans after my previous experience with my RX 580, but it won't be here for a while and I would like to keep playing. I will keep an eye on this forum and try some more things after work today.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Post automatically merged:

The blood and wine expansion pack is either crashing to the desktop or sometimes it will reset my video card. I have a AMD 5700XT card. I have the latest drivers for the card all system components and my system is more than capable of playing the game. This my 5th time through the game. I have reinstalled the game, tried different save states, tried a brand new game and nothing works. The issue presents itself when you go to speak to Annretta for the first time and knight is taking you there at the tourney grounds. As the conversation with the knight is over and next sequence goes to load the game crashes. I have no clue what to do at this point so any help would be much appreciated.

After trying many things suggested on other forums, I finally found the workaround for my case here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/1633040337762794364/

Turning the graphics shadow quality down to medium and leaving all of my other settings where they were at (mostly ultra) has solved my arena cutscene crash. I am glad that it was something simple, I was getting worried that my mods had caused a problem somehow.

Attachments

• Wither graphics.png
    Wither graphics.png
    430.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Just wanted to lest everyone know that adjusting my shadow quality down from ultra to medium worked. not sure why I had to change it all of sudden but I'm just happy I can keep playing the game.

Just wanted to lest everyone know that adjusting my shadow quality down from ultra to medium worked. not sure why I had to change it all of sudden but I'm just happy I can keep playing the game.
Glad it worked for you too! I had one other crash in front of the Nilfgaardian embassy last night, while chatting to an NPC about a quest, but it was otherwise smooth sailing for several hours. I perspectively turned my background character density down to high as there were a lot of them wandering around, but I don't know if that was the cause. In any case, it was a minor inconvenience and worked the second time I spoke to her.

That's sounding a lot like there's a specific function not being processed properly in the GPU.

To increase shadow quality, the game sort "layers" different methodologies of drawing the shadows in a frame (more detailed shadow maps used up front, less detailed the further you get from the camera until they're culled altogether.) Likely the Medium shadow setting circumvents the issue because it either a.) doesn't actually generate the layer with the problematic function or b.) isn't generating enough instances of the issue to crash.

Sure is sounding like drivers at this point, especially because it seems to be limited to the RX 5700. Have you tried rolling back the drivers?

Top Bottom