Bug: Breath does not regenerate in "Through Space and Time"

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug: Breath does not regenerate in "Through Space and Time"

Hi there,

While attempting to pass through the second world in quest "Through Space and Time", when progressing through the red grass breath goes down like expected but does regenerate when outside of the grass.

This is consistently happening, unable to do anything to improve situation. Have reviewed other videos on YouTube and they do not have the issue.

Because of this unable to progress any further in the quest, this is not acceptable and has come at such a late point in the game.

The video below is from today which I took myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHo7KvCMHNw

Platform: PS4
Quest: Through space and time
Type: Game breaking bug, unable to progress

Hi there,

While attempting to pass through the second world in quest "Through Space and Time", when progressing through the red grass breath goes down like expected but does regenerate when outside of the grass.

This is consistently happening, unable to do anything to improve situation. Have reviewed other videos on YouTube and they do not have the issue.

Because of this unable to progress any further in the quest, this is not acceptable and has come at such a late point in the game.

Facing the same issue in PC Platform.. Patched to 1.06

Still unable to progress this quest, have tried reloading before this area and loading again, unable to mediate which is another "fix" to issues in the game, reloading saves doesn't help and unable to roll back patches as would not be able to load the save.

If you don't follow the correct path you will still take damage/ breath did not regen even if you are technically out of the vapors. I looked up a different path and after dying a few times, Worked like a charm. Try the path shown here and see if that helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTV2ODcsR9I

Last edited:
If you don't follow the correct path you will still take damage/ breath did not regen even if you are technically out of the vapors. I looked up a different path and after dying a few times, Worked like a charm. Try the path shown here and see if that helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTV2ODcsR9I

I watched the video and that is the exact path I have taken multiple times, simply by the fact I've been to the place of power and my breath does not regenerate. This is what I showed in my video as well.

Thanks for providing this though, appreciate the attempt to help.

I have this bug on PC (patch 1.6) I was hoping to use godmode with Debug Console mod as a workaround but DC stopped working after patch 1.6. Come on CDPR this is game breaking bug for Christ sake!

I got through it on PS4 1.05 yesterday. It's definitely glitchy, but I could do it. I had some moments where my breath was still dropping, but there were no toxic clouds (I was up one or two ledges). I also had no breath and the health bar empty, but I didn't die. Once I got to a clear zone, I died the moment I re-entered the gas. Save-spamming was my only option.

No bugs here to be honest. I finished the quest yesterday without even looking at Youtube. It seems that there are spots that are glitchy here but when you proceed to some elevated portion and in some corners of the stage you will have your breath regenerated.

No bugs here to be honest. I finished the quest yesterday without even looking at Youtube. It seems that there are spots that are glitchy here but when you proceed to some elevated portion and in some corners of the stage you will have your breath regenerated.

Question, did you actually watch my video? And the video supplied by CS1976? Because went to the exact same spots and did NOT regnerate help.

This is not a useful attitude, it doesn't matter if YOU didn't have the bug, there IS a bug there and multiple people in this thread, as you can very very clearly see have agreed they have the bug. Do you go to each post with a bug that you didn't have and tell them its not a bug?

Hi there,

Sorry, I know this is 2 months old, but I hit this exact same issue (PS4, patch 1.08) and found this thread without a solution- hope this helps others!

Workaround that worked for me: clearly there was something wrong with Geralt and the way he was interacting with 'holding his breath', so I reloaded a previous auto-save (lost 1hr) and swam around the port in Novigrad (inc. almost drowning myself...). I then started this mission (you can quickly get through the desert world by running straight to the portal, skipping the chat with Avallac'h), and Geralt was able to re-gen breath on the poison-gas world as expected. I assume swimming around reset the mechanism somehow.

Worst-case: I was fairly desperate ... and actually made it to the portal without re-gen breath by using Werewolf potion (stamina doesn't drain out-of-combat). I took a route towards the Place of Power on the right-side (two-drops, and you will lose a bit of health...) but will not lose ANY breath. Then take this route. I died when I excitedly went into the portal with 20% health and immediately drowned in the next world... It MIGHT be possible to get through the underwater world if you have 100% health but I didn't get a chance to try.

WORKAROUND

I know this is two years later, but I had this problem when I was replaying one of my favorite games, and could not find an answer when looking for it. As this was the first link when I Googled the issue, I will post here in the hope of helping others. When playing on this level, I found that my health would continue to degenerate even when I found a "safe area" as apparent by the lack of poisonous gas around/no red grass in the immediate area.

My workaround:
First, make sure you have the alternate Quen power equipped, the bubble shield.
Then, when you find a spot where you should be able to regenerate your breath activate your shield. You health should stop going down.
Next, heal yourself with food or Swallow. You won't be able to meditate here, so make sure you have plenty. Wait until your vitality is at full.
Rinse and repeat at each "safe area."

I recommend saving at each safe spot, in case you make an error and die. If you don't have the supplies or power to do this, you may have to redo your skill points, or load a previous save where you can adjust as needed. It is also worth noting that activating your Quen, either the standard or bubble, while in the gas will dramatically drain your health, so you cannot use the normal Quen shield to protect you.

VERY IMPORTANT: When you go through the portal, you will be in water and must swim to the next portal. If you hesitate for even a moment, you will likely drown. I don't know if more or less health will alter how long you survive, so you may need to up your vitality to swim that far.

I hope this helps, while adding a bit of strategic survival to the mix. Good luck.

AlecCzervo;n9790261 said:
WORKAROUND

I know this is two years later, but I had this problem when I was replaying one of my favorite games, and could not find an answer when looking for it. As this was the first link when I Googled the issue, I will post here in the hope of helping others...

I hope this helps, while adding a bit of strategic survival to the mix. Good luck.

Thanks for that! This sounds like a nasty bug to have to deal with. I've never come across it myself. Does the breath start regenerating normally after a certain point in the quest?

Sorry for necroing a 4 year old post, but then again this game breaking bug still persists after 4 years (thanks CD Projekt Red).

The workaround that worked for me (thanks to this reddit post by u/onlyjust) is to reload a manual or auto save from before starting the mission (for me reloading the point where you meet Avallac'h in front of the house in Novigrad with the first Portal was enough) and going for a dive in the nearest body of water (like 10 meters from the entrance to the house there is a canal). I only dived for only a short moment, before speedrunning through the level with the Desert Crabs and ending up again in the fog level, only this time my breath finally replenished and I was able to fully explore and complete the fog level without any noticeable difficulties.

As a side note, I love the Witcher 3 and CD Projekt Red earned a ton of goodwill from me with this masterpiece, but seriously, not fixing such a gamebreaking bug at all? After that many years? And not even posting any helpful advice on how to work around it anywhere to be found? It is an embarrassment for the entire studio. I only now revisited the game, after I had forgotten why I stopped my playthrough in the firstplace (this bug was that reason, if you didn't figure) and I'd have stopped playing again today, if I hadn't finally found an old thread about it.

Hey Guys, I also didn't mean to bring back a dead post, but I just came back to this game in a long time and had this same issue. I was still able to get through the level, and, since this is the first post that pops up when you google the issue, I wanted to post here to try to help some people with how I did it. I was fortunate to have some resources on hand that allowed me to accomplish this task since reloading my last manual save would have lost me several hours of gameplay. Here's how I had to do it:

For me, once your breath is gone, your health starts draining. But once it starts draining it will keep draining until you die, even if you reach a safe spot in time. You must cast quen to stop it. So you have to run through the fog and get to somewhere safe and then cast quen in time, which is the problem as some later sections require running through more fog than the earlier sections. Then you must use swallow or food to regenerate back to full health once you make it through a fog section.

If you do everything you can to increase your vitality, you can run through the clouds for as long as possible, I swapped out all of my mutagens for greater green ones that boosted my vitality by 150 and purchased the "Survival Instinct" general skill that increases vitality by 500. I actually didn't have any green skills unlocked at this point (although I did have some points to spare, given the place of power in the level and some points i had unspent, so this is should be doable for most people as a lot of people may also have green skills to further boost the mutagens which I didn't), so all of my mutagens were unboosted. I then popped an enhanced full moon potion (increases vitality). I think this potion is actually the most important part. It's also worth pointing out that my character was level 30 at this point (if that affects your base vitality value?).

The tricky part is, once you get into the portal, you instantly spawn underwater in the next section and instantly start drowning. You must have full health when you go through the portal and I actually popped an "Enhanced White Rafford's Decoction" (instantly replenishes some health, for me about half of my health was replenished) about halfway during the swim or else I would have died.

make sure to manual save every time you make progress to a new safe spot, and BEFORE you go through the portal

I hope this information helps someone out from having to lose progress in hopes that swimming around before starting the mission will fix this issue for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom