Building a gaming PC

+
There are some stores, that can assemble a PC for you, based on your specification. Search for it. This way you aren't going to be tied to some specific brand, you just save the time of assembling things yourself. Though I recommend doing it yourself, if you can.

It doesn't sound like they are actually going to support adaptive sync. Since it's not just the driver that's involved, but also compositors need to pass it along to applications. We'll have to wait and see what it means.

More likely, they simply now will implement their gsync without specialized hardware. So I suppose it can work through adaptive sync in the monitor, but actual compositors still might not be able to work through adaptive sync interfaces. To put it differently, with Nvidia card and their blob, you still will be required to support gsync in the compositor for this to work. It's just my guess at least. Because otherwise, why do you need any gsync to begin with? They could just plainly say "we now support adaptive sync".

Interesting database: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

You can filter by panel type, resolution, sync range, LFC and so on.
Post automatically merged:

Browsing through that, I found this monitor: https://www.nixeus.com/nx-edg27

Never heard of Nixeus before. Has anyone used these? Lot's of reviewers criticize it for using external power adapter. Kind of surprising it's not using a standard connector.

Nah, using an external power adapter doesn't sound like a good idea.

Apparently Acer VG271U is already available: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011278

It's using a panel from Innolux.

Last edited:
My advice is to never buy a new PC unless you want some kind of powerhouse VR machine. If you just want to play games at high settings for the next couple of years you can buy a used PC from Ebay. I bought a used Elitebook with discreet GPU that's able to play Witcher 3 at medium settings for $180. I could have played it on high settings if I'd spent $600. I bought mine more for Zbrush than for actual gaming so it's technically a Workstation not a gaming PC. But as I said it's fast enough for Witcher on mid settings.

People don't know. I mean you can just spend $300 a year and stay on top of the current games. Then turn around and sell them when your done or give them away or collect them whatever.

Oh yeah, just a note. There are some crazy deals on there if you are willing to take items with beaten up exteriors. My laptop was ALL scratched up. But that's why it was $2000 cheaper than buying it new.

Last edited:
That depends on your resolution. TW3 can be quite demanding. Personally, I wouldn't recommend laptops for gaming. Laptops only make sense if you need to carry them around for whatever reason. Otherwise better invest the money in better hardware in a desktop.

That depends on your resolution. TW3 can be quite demanding. Personally, I wouldn't recommend laptops for gaming. Laptops only make sense if you need to carry them around for whatever reason. Otherwise better invest the money in better hardware in a desktop.

I used my example to show that deal I got on a workstation. I didn't buy it specifically for gaming - I got it with Zbrush and Blender in mind. Just so happens it plays games too because all those things are closely related. They sell used desktops on Ebay too. I'm telling you. Enthusiasts buy premium gear that is years ahead of everyone elses. Then 5 years later, when everyone catches up, it's used and they sell it on Ebay. Sometimes, the exterior is not in the best condition and so they have to lower the price.

I highly recommend it. Because when it comes to used PCs it's not just about the brand name or anything because people customize their stuff over the years. Sometimes you will find things that are being sold for waaaaaay lower just because in the seller's mind it's an old PC and they really haven't done their research on what the price should be. And because of that, you can really get some good deals. This one dude, back when I was buying had like this ridiculous SLi enabled laptop that was so stupid because it would over heat the way he had it set up. But technically it was fast and cheap lol. Anyway, like I said I'm using a $2 thousand laptop that I got for $180 because I read the fine print when other buyers didn't.

I'm not really using any branded PCs, I simply buy parts and then assemble them myself. And it surely matters what parts you choose. Getting something like a newer CPU with more cores will cost more, but if you need more performance - it's worth it, especially if you are using computers for work as well. So I'd say getting some modern Ryzens with many cores is a good deal. You can't get that with older CPUs.

I highly recommend it. Because when it comes to used PCs it's not just about the brand name or anything because people customize their stuff over the years. Sometimes you will find things that are being sold for waaaaaay lower just because in the seller's mind it's an old PC and they really haven't done their research on what the price should be. And because of that, you can really get some good deals.

There's defeinitely nothing wrong with buying used parts / systems, but it does require the buyer to be pretty aware of what's out there, what hardware is more or less compatible with other hardware, and be ready and willing to put work into the system after buying it. Buying used is very often buying someone else's problem.

Many buyers are new to the gaming arena (at least the PC gaming arena). For them, it may be a far better idea to buy a quality off-the-shelf brand or build a custom rig through a professional shop. (At least the first time.)

There's defeinitely nothing wrong with buying used parts / systems, but it does require the buyer to be pretty aware of what's out there, what hardware is more or less compatible with other hardware, and be ready and willing to put work into the system after buying it. Buying used is very often buying someone else's problem.

Many buyers are new to the gaming arena (at least the PC gaming arena). For them, it may be a far better idea to buy a quality off-the-shelf brand or build a custom rig through a professional shop. (At least the first time.)

I understand your caution. I never would have bought a used PC myself, either. Before I bought this laptop I'd built like 4 PCs in a row. Doing research and putting them together myself. But one day I suddenly was in the need for a new one at a time when I didn't have a lot of spare cash. So I bought used. And I was shocked at how deep the savings are. It's like the Wild West out there though. A model 'RTj' PC and a model 'RTd' PC, may look exactly the same, they may be exactly the same price on Ebay, but one of them could be 10x faster than the other one!!!

I'm not really using any branded PCs, I simply buy parts and then assemble them myself. And it surely matters what parts you choose.

That's my preferred method. I really like to shop manufacturer-direct or through private vendors, if I can. Especially, if I can find a local vendor (which are also usually mom-and-pop shops that do custom gaming rigs), I can often get great bargains. I'll usually request an expensive part to be ordered and sold close to at-cost. To keep the price down, I'll agree to buy other bits and bobs that I need through them (a monitor, keyboard, case, etc.) which are usually still a waaay better deal than picking them up from a retail chain.

I understand your caution. I never would have bought a used PC myself, either. Before I bought this laptop I'd built like 4 PCs in a row. Doing research and putting them together myself. But one day I suddenly was in the need for a new one at a time when I didn't have a lot of spare cash. So I bought used. And I was shocked at how deep the savings are. It's like the Wild West out there though. A model 'RTj' PC and a model 'RTd' PC, may look exactly the same, they may be exactly the same price on Ebay, but one of them could be 10x faster than the other one!!!

I've never bought a used PC in its entirety before, but I've managed to scrounge up some great deals on parts. I've gotten burned a number of times, too, and that's why it's important to be familiar with the range of hardware that's out there. I'd say my best pickup was an ATI Radeon (9000 something...? Don't really remember which one anymore, it was like 2003-ish) which someone had returned to a vendor as "defective" because it wouldn't fit their PC. Basically, all that had happened was that the metal frame part had been bent out of shape a little bit, preventing it from lining up with the slot on the back of the PC. A few seconds of steady pressure, and I was able to get it into a test case and see if it worked. Since it needed to go back to the manufacturer anyway, the shop gave it to me for $100. A nearly $1,000 card for 90% off. Sold. Ended up working fine for almost 8 years.

Last edited:
Radeon 7 (Vega II) confirmed by Lisa Su.

16GB HBM2 at $700. Quite a steep pricing. I hope they'll have 8GB as well. Not everyone needs that much VRAM.

Last edited:
Basically, all that had happened was that the metal frame part had been bent out of shape a little bit, preventing it from lining up with the slot on the back of the PC

Heh, had a similar issue recently. Either my processor or board died. Not sure which. Figuring out which is too involved to bother. Took a meter to the PSU to rule it out. The readings there were basically perfect. I didn't test it with a load on it because, well, the system wouldn't even post (it would power cycle endlessly). So I just said screw it and picked up a new board and processor. Put those in and it runs like a champ.

Getting to the point.... The new board came with a pre-installed I/O back plate. I'm not sure why this is advertised as such a big deal but whatever. Somehow the pre-installed back plate wasn't pre-installed correctly. The metal flange pieces connecting it to the board were kind of bent and not secured fully so it wasn't lined up right. With a bit of work I managed to get it lined up properly and fit in correctly. I would have sent it back but didn't want to deal with the hassle :).

In terms of building vs buying pre-assembled.... I've always gravitated toward the former as well. Pre-assembled desktop/laptops from "big" brands always seem to come with a ton of junk or sub-par hardware. Or they cost a small fortune. They can also be a pain to upgrade down the road for various reasons. I've always thought with electronics, especially computers, you get what you pay for. If it's too good to be true it most likely is too good to be true. The on sale device or low-priced item is most likely on sale or low priced for a reason. There are exceptions to all of this, of course. Typically it's how it plays out though.

Another consideration is "building" most modern computers isn't as involved or complicated as some people think. It shouldn't be intimidating. It does take work/research but at least you know what you're getting.

The new board came with a pre-installed I/O back plate. I'm not sure why this is advertised as such a big deal but whatever.

Depends. If the motherboard lines up correctly and all of its mounting points are securely screwed in, then you don't even need the backplate. If the screws don't line up correctly or there aren't the right number of mounts, the backplate can be pretty important. It's mostly about ensuring the motherboard can't flex in awkward ways. This can really become a problem with custom cooling solutions that add multiple fans. The vibrations can wind up shaking the mobo so much over time that it results in physical damage. With more and more liquid cooling being used nowadays, backplates are becoming more cosmetic than anything else.

Pre-assembled desktop/laptops from "big" brands always seem to come with a ton of junk or sub-par hardware. Or they cost a small fortune.

That's why I love the ASUS RoG line. They're very inexpensive for the performance they deliver. I've owned a few G51 and G71 models over time (desktop replacement laptops). They were magnificent. Very little bloatware, and none of it was manipulative or malicious. Some of it was actually kinda cool.

They can also be a pain to upgrade down the road for various reasons.

This, however, is very true. I've never owned any brand that was easy to work on. Going this route is definitely sacrificing future-proofing for convenience.

Depends. If the motherboard lines up correctly and all of its mounting points are securely screwed in, then you don't even need the backplate. If the screws don't line up correctly or there aren't the right number of mounts, the backplate can be pretty important. It's mostly about ensuring the motherboard can't flex in awkward ways. This can really become a problem with custom cooling solutions that add multiple fans. The vibrations can wind up shaking the mobo so much over time that it results in physical damage. With more and more liquid cooling being used nowadays, backplates are becoming more cosmetic than anything else.

Yeah... I just don't know why the back plate being connected to the board itself is a big deal. I've never really had an issue with the individual I/O shield. This particular board has the shield piece directly connected to the back heat sink on the board via flanges. When I got it some of those flange pieces weren't anchored to the heat sink correctly. So I had to kind of fiddle with it to get them where they needed to go. Otherwise the plate stuck out a bit which created an obvious problem. I only noticed it because when trying to mount it in the case I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why the hell the holes didn't appear to line up with the standoffs....

That's why I love the ASUS RoG line. They're very inexpensive for the performance they deliver. I've owned a few G51 and G71 models over time (desktop replacement laptops). They were magnificent. Very little bloatware, and none of it was manipulative or malicious. Some of it was actually kinda cool.

Yup, the new board is the RoG Z390-I. The case only supports micro and mini ATX and I didn't feel like getting a new one. The reason for going with ITX over micro ATX is I didn't really need most of the additional stuff you'd find in a bigger board. So far it's working like a champ. It's quite surprising how much they can fit in tiny boards :).

Yeah... I just don't know why the back plate being connected to the board itself is a big deal. I've never really had an issue with the individual I/O shield. This particular board has the shield piece directly connected to the back heat sink on the board via flanges. When I got it some of those flange pieces weren't anchored to the heat sink correctly. So I had to kind of fiddle with it to get them where they needed to go. Otherwise the plate stuck out a bit which created an obvious problem. I only noticed it because when trying to mount it in the case I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out why the hell the holes didn't appear to line up with the standoffs....

Trying to visualize what you describe. Normally, the plate will connect through the heat sink mount, like you describe, but it should also connect to the outer rim of the mobo in 4 or 5 spots as well. It's not uncommon for the parts to be only partially attached, as the user will need to take it apart to add the processor, cooling, mount it in the case, etc. Doesn't sound like it's an issue, though.

Yup, the new board is the RoG Z390-I. The case only supports micro and mini ATX and I didn't feel like getting a new one. The reason for going with ITX over micro ATX is I didn't really need most of the additional stuff you'd find in a bigger board. So far it's working like a champ. It's quite surprising how much they can fit in tiny boards :).

The only thing I'd keep an eye on is temps / airflow. I usually go big rather than small for my cases. It's always amazed me what a few extra inches in every direction can do for heat.

Top Bottom