Building a gaming PC

+
Yeah I get that .... I have a 5800X and a 3070 Ti (Getting a 4070 Ti soon). I had a 3700X and was waiting for the 5800X3D to come out to see how it tested and while it was better for games it did take a pretty significant hit for productivity (I use a lot of electronics design and simulation software at home) plus at the time the 5800X was $130 cheaper than the then new 5800X3D so I went with the 5800X since most of the game I play are single player story driven and the why I set up graphics (As high as possible and still stay about 60 FPS) an 5800X3D really didn't make a lot of sense nor would I get $130 worth of extra FPS from it in practice ..... Now if I was playing mostly online multiplayer twitch shooters when every frame counts it would be a different story. Because I use a Vector Network Analyzer for designing remote (RF wireless) sensors and sensor networks I have a completely solid side case to keep all the RFI hash inside the computer and out of my VNA. The only RGB I have on the system is the motherboard and it's turned off in the BIOS. Like I noted earlier I've been building computers since 1988 and long ago ceased to be impressed at what the inside of a computer looks like and never was a big fan of RGB lighting since it does nothing for performance yet adds to the cost. Do you know how hard it is to fine a good solid side case these days?
yeah, fellow old duffer here, got my first PC in 97' as a teenager and of course had to learn to do all the upgrades my self since it was for gaming.

Heh, 500W for 7900XT is tricky I suppose. For PSU I went with recommended 850W for 7900XTX.
You're running a R9 7950X alongside, right? My 5800X3D with CO -30 on all cores is pretty lightweight in comparison. My current games are around 50W, 80W tops for the whole CPU. If I end up playing a game which really puts full load on the CPU and GPU, I might still get into trouble.

You're running a R9 7950X alongside, right? My 5800X3D with CO -30 on all cores is pretty lightweight in comparison. My current games are around 50W, 80W tops for the whole CPU. If I end up playing a game which really puts full load on the CPU and GPU, I might still get into trouble.
Yeah, I have 7950X but I run it in 105W eco mode. Performance change is pretty small while it uses way less power.

A 240 aio with 13900k ? I wouldn't even let that thing take a look at it. I don't recommend anything less than a 360 with that CPU unless you live in Syberia and plan to seriously undervolt or something
You are absolutely correct, of course. I exchanged the 240 for a 360. I'm just getting the new rig up and running now, and it definitely blows hot. There's lots of room for more fans in my case however...that's my next little project. Heh, Calgary isn't in Siberia, but our computer room does get chilly in the winter. Maybe this year we won't need the little space heater my wife likes to run when we're down here.

Yea a 240 seems too small. heck i have 3x360 and it still cant keep it under controll if i go ham on power settings.
Post automatically merged:

Yea and now get rid of that ugly dongel too by getting a custom cord. i got one with x4 connectors and it just feels so much better :)
i was just thinking same thing, cant order one sold out or complete kits , instead bought this cable is that ok ?

SEASONIC 12VHPWR CABLE​

thnx for the info much apreciated

i was just thinking same thing, cant order one sold out or complete kits , instead bought this cable is that ok ?
Hmm i hade 2 of those with my PSU and they worked. I dident like the x2 connections so i got a cablemod one with x4 just to be safe i guess ^^ But there was nothing directly wrong with them.

FINALY managed too fix an issue ive been having, PC shut off at times when gaming... ONLY when gaming. I could benchmark cpu+gpu+memory for hours without issue. Total power off but did not have too flip the switch on the back of the PSU so supposedly not a power issue. You will never guess what it was :D

The antivirus... I hade a good one to, Bitdefender. Something must be triggering some thing that just kills the power. Finaly i can play without saving every 5 minutes due to loosing tons of progress. And i can oc my stuff again gimme those 144 fps :D

Just in time for BG3 and soon Starfield :D :D

Hmm i hade 2 of those with my PSU and they worked. I dident like the x2 connections so i got a cablemod one with x4 just to be safe i guess ^^ But there was nothing directly wrong with them.

FINALY managed too fix an issue ive been having, PC shut off at times when gaming... ONLY when gaming. I could benchmark cpu+gpu+memory for hours without issue. Total power off but did not have too flip the switch on the back of the PSU so supposedly not a power issue. You will never guess what it was :D

The antivirus... I hade a good one to, Bitdefender. Something must be triggering some thing that just kills the power. Finaly i can play without saving every 5 minutes due to loosing tons of progress. And i can oc my stuff again gimme those 144 fps :D

Just in time for BG3 and soon Starfield :D :D
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-03 at 12.49.39.jpg

cablemod cable is impossible to get here or i need to pay import 30 euro or complete kits 100 euro fuck that :p
anyway this should be fine.. dont know how 2 cables is save but electro man is not my thing :p..

now i am done finaly game pc closes now and awaiting starfield and atleast one witcher game before i die :D

geralt-thumbs-up.png

You are absolutely correct, of course. I exchanged the 240 for a 360. I'm just getting the new rig up and running now, and it definitely blows hot. There's lots of room for more fans in my case however...that's my next little project. Heh, Calgary isn't in Siberia, but our computer room does get chilly in the winter. Maybe this year we won't need the little space heater my wife likes to run when we're down here.

And to follow up... My heating problems was mainly due to my PC case...not nearly enough airflow, despite a decent array of fans. I took the glass front cover off the case and replaced it with a very loose plastic mesh, and now running temperatures, even while playing, are much better. Don't trust manufacturers specs on gaming PC cases.

SLI (Nvidia) or Crossfire (AMD) are technologies that allow you to use multiple videocards at the same time, increasing performance and raw data throughput.

Performance doesn't increase linearly though as adding extra hardware adds communication and processing overhead, but graphics usually scale well because they reduce to matrix algebra.

I consider it to be a premium solution to performance, although sometimes it can be cheaper than a premium single card. In any case, this is for scenarios such as 4K resolutions and so on. Single monitor setups at 1440 or less are just fine with one 970.
Even though SLI and Crossfire are rightly the premium option aren't most games and other hardware not well optimized to use it? It seemed to pick up steam in years prior but I thought that approach had died out.

Even though SLI and Crossfire are rightly the premium option aren't most games and other hardware not well optimized to use it? It seemed to pick up steam in years prior but I thought that approach had died out.
Its more or less non existant nowdays. ive used SLI/CF for years before it became unuseble due to lack of implementation. Very few games puts it in now that nvidia doesnt create profiles and so on anymore, sometimes you can kinda hack it into the game or the game is old enough to have a profile but thats pretty much it. It was pretty popular for a while but it was still a very small % that used it and it was prone to have some problems even if it technically worked.

Modern approach to multi GPU needs usage of Vulkan and support of games engines. No one is doing that, so you can forget about it for now.

It's super dead, just like that nearly 10 years old post you quoted

Top Bottom