Can we please stop the 'it was promised' nonsense?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
First because no one play pure Skyrim, is a 10 years old game that with mods play and looks like next gen
Speak for yourself, I've been playing Skyrim since launch, have about 1760 hours in both Oldrim and SE combined, and the only "mods" I've ever used were unofficial patches (and I even think about ditching those, as there are some changes that go beyond fixing bugs and I don't really like it) and my own ultrawide UI fix, and right now I'm replaying Skyrim on Switch. So no, vanilla Skyrim is perfectly playable and replayable 10 years after it's release.

I think that "Star Power" and CDPR's investors had something to do with this game's inability to deliver what we wanted. Though, I fear the latter part is a big no-no, something I shouldn't speak of...

Speak for yourself, I've been playing Skyrim since launch, have about 1760 hours in both Oldrim and SE combined, and the only "mods" I've ever used were unofficial patches (and I even think about ditching those, as there are some changes that go beyond fixing bugs and I don't really like it) and my own ultrawide UI fix, and right now I'm replaying Skyrim on Switch. So no, vanilla Skyrim is perfectly playable and replayable 10 years after it's release.
My bad, should have said most people don´t play skyrim without mods, but indeed my nephew still plays too and without any mods.
You mention something about the hours played, i don´t know how many hours i put on skyrim, because most of the time i use skse, so steam don´t see the game as open so don´t count the time.

Skyrim is last single player TES game , not sure why people are surprised it's still popular. Last Bethesda SP game is from 2015, if I'm not wrong.

Comparing CP2077 and Skyrim player base is nonsense... First because no one play pure Skyrim, is a 10 years old game that with mods play and looks like next gen, i have a good hardware here, and i can make my PC cry with Skyrim.
CDPR will not get a Skyrim like game because they do not have mod support, and no, a tool to extract and see game content is not mod support, mod support is when you let modders ADD stuff into the game, not just change what is there.
If you want CP2077 to be a game like that, it would have to be done by someone like Bethesda. If TW3 is any indication, CDPR is more about their planned experience with the game than Bethesda is.
Skyrim is last single player TES game , not sure why people are surprised it's still popular. Last Bethesda SP game is from 2015, if I'm not wrong.
Fallout 4, Nov 10, 2015. I've been working all weekend on a companion mod for Fallout 4 for my next play through. :)

Most people didn't really have an option to get a refund. And the more serious game-breaking bugs might not be apparent soon. I was disappointed in the game relative to the hype, but still had a blast initially. Then, around level 40, I got hit by quickhack access point bug that shafted by character plans. Delete. Next character, around a similar level I got hit by corrupted save games (for doing normal crafting and not the duping exploits CDPR blamed). Delete. Last character, around level 35 I realized I was hit with a bug that made my weapons not get any critical chance/damage modifiers. Three game-braking bugs in a row. I also realized the combat is incredibly poorly balanced if you're over- leveled, my last character wasn't really challenged once at VERY HARD even using "nerfed" weapons. Then I began thinking, is this just shitty game design/balancing or yet another bug? Delete and uninstall.

Over a 100 hour wasted. No chance to be reimbursed. I'm also a casual player, and very rarely find motivation to pick up a game once its shelved. Kind of feel like CDPR not only stole my money, they stole my time too.

Didn't pretty much everyone get told that they could get a refund by CDPR?

If you spent 100 hours in the game, and consider it a waste of time, you either enjoyed it for a considerable amount of that, or you spent a lot of time in a game you should have stopped playing much sooner.

Last edited:
Yeah, my point was, that according to your own post earlier, hype built itself, in practical terms people reading random posts from social media and ignoring what was said on official.

Again, what exactly is company responsibility here? Should they have like Facebook hit squad or something?
It takes only one match to light whole forest on fire. They were making game something which was not, not only feature wise, but technical and performance also received same treatment, aka games run fine and bla bla, cdpr only has themselves to blame

It takes only one match to light whole forest on fire. They were making game something which was not, not only feature wise, but technical and performance also received same treatment, aka games run fine and bla bla, cdpr only has themselves to blame
The players have only themselves to blame, too. They helped to hype the game into something that no one was working on. In the end, the greatest failing was not the lack of content, but the lack of quality. If they had shipped this game with better quality and performance, that would have made all the difference.

Showing a feature a year out from release in a trailer is NOT the same as a promise and that is where the issue lays. That is my point.

I strongly disagree. It effectively IS the same when as a company you know that you have planted certain expectations within the community, have said expectations be loudly voiced by said community, and do nothing to temper those expectations when they know full well said features will never be in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4519094

The players have only themselves to blame

don't think that's the case, noted it somewhere else but if you look carefully you may notice upticks in some keywords and overall activity around CP77 on internet around 6 monthes before the September release, and overtly malicious activity too ... if i recall it was the same time another group tried to spread accusations about Mike Pondsmith ... very politically tainted and very disgusting won't mention any further.

TLDR poor end users too often taking the blame instead of some bad actors

Imagine opening a topic like this purposely ignoring all the tweets, interviews and night city wires :beer:
Exactly what I was thinking..thank you. So many promises we made and they did say that there was so much stuff in the game and the Night City is so alive..just Google or look on YouTube ..its all there and yes we were lied to..I get not all things were promised and some of the stuff everyone is taking about was never brought up by the devil so some of you are making up bs on what people are complaining about..this game.e is empty and trash and yes it is very cut and we were lied to..look up what they told us about gorilla arms and nano wire and the police force..gorilla arms are useless and you don't need them to open hard doors..watch the vids and open your ears..we were lied to and we are going to take it cause someone said so..good..you enjoy the game..we dont

There is only one person who we can clearly point the finger at and blame...and that's Keanu Reeves.:LOL:

Seriously though, it seems that when his involvement was announced that the hype kicked up to absurd levels. I mean, the guy has been a driving force of pushing cyberpunk culture into the mainstream for nearly 3 decades.

But I agree that what's done is done...the game is in the state its in, and we all have to decide whether we want to stick with it and see what it turns out to be or as Sean Connery said in Indy 3..."Let it go."

Stop blaming the fans

CDPR helped foster hype, CDPR released the game when THEY WANTED (NOT THE FANS!!!!), and CDPR released the game in the state it was (NOT THE FANS)

I really don't get these arguments. They are so anti-consumer/pro-corpo that they make me think they are made by CDPR plants

As a fan of CDPR (even after they burned me with XBONE version), we should be holding them accountable. Stop trying to deflect blame to the consumers. Giving CDPR objective criticism will help CP become a better game and help CDPR become a better company.

Off topic post deleted. "The quality of other peoples posts" is not the topic. Also, it's against the rules to ridicule other people (i.e. call their posts asinine). So don't do that.

Last edited:
It's far more disingenuous for you to make the assertion that the community pulled these expectations out of thin air. They were deliberately led to believe a lot of these things with dishonest marketing which is about as close to "promised" as you can get without someone from the company explicitly stating that "x" feature will definitely be in the final game. You are pretty much trying to argue semantics at that point.

It's also really easy to prove too, just look at their interviews with romances, literally said we would have many deep romance options all across Night City, with great depth bla bla blah.

Only depth was Panam followed by Judy, rest were a joke. 4 romances total, restricted to a single romance scene, of which only 2 can get the nomad ending, which also happens to be the only hopeful ending.

Or look at their crap about our backgrounds. Total joke, nothing more than dialogue flavor.

My Nomad V doesn't even get a proper explanation as to why the Bakkers imploded after joining Snake Nation. They couldn't be bothered, all resources went to the Keanu show.

Which is all this game was, one series of hyped celebrity after the next to pull in people to the game. Imagine what could have happened with Silverhand if his VA wasn't a ridiculously expensive one with limited contract availability.

So much more assets could have gone toward developing the game if so much money wasn't sunk on a single person just because someone liked John Wick.

The players have only themselves to blame, too. They helped to hype the game into something that no one was working on. In the end, the greatest failing was not the lack of content, but the lack of quality. If they had shipped this game with better quality and performance, that would have made all the difference.
People also hyped Fallout 4 too much , many people were kinda unhappy, because of that (maybe it was franchise fatigue). And I agree, CP need polish (not even talking about some bugs, but some mechanics like collision between cars, for example), no new content at this point- I think 80-100 hours of content for SP AAA game is more than enough.

I see almost endless posts and even articles of people accusing CDPR of "promising" this or that, of things that never ended up in the game.

Look I get it. You are DISAPPOINTED or even feel a partial bait and switch. But saying it was "promised" is disingenuous at best. If you can find a source of a dev literally promising a feature or something along the lines of "..and this will be in the game no matter what" then you have a argument to be made. Otherwise you are putting words in their mouth and making assumptions and using said assumptions as 'fact'.

Yes there are some things in the 2 yr old trailer they didn't make the cut. Or comments made in articles almost as old that didn't materialize. And stating how that is disappointing to you is of course fine. But saying you were "promised" any of that is, frankly, silly. You WERE NOT.

I find it peculiar that games go though this cycle most EVERY major release yes they don't retain the lessons learned and act as if this is somehow new or completely unprecedented with the memory of a gold fish.

If you have been a gamer for any length of time you have been though this a dozen+ of times. Early trailer drops, comments are made a year+ before release, game drops, some of the things shown or said are changed, removed. It happens. THAT is game dev 101. Do you have to like it? No. But if you want to be part of this hobby you need to come to terms with it rather then go off the handle every time it happens acting like it is some great sin no one has ever done before or as if you never seen this before. It is NOT going to change that is the reality of it and the predictable replies of 'well if I make noise they will change'. Suuuure. Go talk to the fans of Daikatana or Star Fleet Command (game was released without its heralded, core feature MP aspect.. and wasn't announced until the day of release) back in the day and let me know how much their angst and angry postings changed the industry. I'll wait.

It seems to me some people are confusing their own disappointment with some fictional "promise" so they have a way to vent their anger. Again, I get it. The game is good but could have been better. I actually agree with most of the issues people raise. But when I saw those trailers and interviews I NEVER treated ANY of it as written in stone. I treated is the on the white board goals and the end result can change. If you took it as a "promise" I would suggest that was a error on your part. CDPR made the error of under-staffing the project vs the goals they laid out and ideas they said they wanted to be in the game. However people screaming about "promise" this and "promise" that made the fatal error of not taking vertical slices, or comments of games a year+ out as a wish list, not a "promise" and putting far more weight in them then they should have. That is on you, not them.

So no, nothing was promised to you, at all. But you are more then entitled however to be critical of what was delivered vs what was suggested the game will be.

Agreed.

2077 will be fixed,but,like Witcher 3 which was still buggy after a year. "Work in progress" is what we were ALL told. CDPR will fix this,but it'll take allot of time.These insane lockdowns are surely hurting development of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom