Cats and their magic

+
Can't do that since we only rented the apartment and the owners wouldn't be very happy, I think :) But it would be a good solution - also something new for our cats because they don't know cat flaps :)

Oh, yeah, the other thing we did was fit a cat flap to the bedroom door :)

A cat flap to the bedroom door... Nice idea... For us it isn't necessary because our catlady is always jumping to open the doors if she wants... She's very good in that... ;) The only possibilty is to lock up the door, because the trick with the key she doen't know... Not yet... ;)

Attachments

• normal_1768811022.jpg
    normal_1768811022.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 33
Not mine, but this cat has been reported repeatedly to San Jose, California animal control as a loose bobcat or lynx. 4 feet, 27 pounds. Doesn't need to jump to open doors.

A question to other cat-keepers.
You know that scenario when you're in a house with two cats, with all the doors and windows closed, and not ONE of them is visible? When they've all buggered off to some parallel universe somewhere?

And you're so certain they're Not There that you start worrying in case you've accidentally left a door open and they've left you in favour of someone who feeds them fresh salmon every day?

Does anyone else find them by playing cat meow mp3s, or is it just me?

You know that scenario when you're in a house with two cats, with all the doors and windows closed, and not ONE of them is visible? When they've all buggered off to some parallel universe somewhere?

And you're so certain they're Not There that you start worrying in case you've accidentally left a door open and they've left you in favour of someone who feeds them fresh salmon every day?

Yes I know the feeling! Don't have my own cats right now, but my boyfriends cats give me gray hairs time to time. Few times this happened, that I was alone with those cats and went to do some shopping (my boyfriend was working). When I came back, there was no cats visible, anywhere. Usually they come digging grocery bags when you put those on the floor. Panic! Did I left the door open? Did I left the window open (third floor)? Did I left the balcony door open? I know their hiding places and search all of them. I search the entire apartment. Not one sign for the cats. What does my boyfriend say when he comes home from work and I lost both of his cats!? More panic!

'Cause I didn't see any sign for the cats in the corridor, and I convinced myself that everything was closed, I just sit on the sofa and wait. After some time they just appear from somewhere yawning and stretching. With that stupid "why do you look so worried" look at their faces. I'm guessing that the parallel universe is the right answer, cause I definitely searched EVERY place in that apartment, even the closets.

I haven't tried that meow thing. Need to keep that in mind! Might bird tsirping from You Tube work as well?

[video=youtube;b-bEtoNzGHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bEtoNzGHY[/video]

Although my boyfriends houselions are afraid of the birds, so maybe not... If I need to get cats inside from the balcony for example, I just rustle their treat bag. Works every time! I don't know if that works with missing cats too. Need to try that next time this happens.

I have an escalating sequence of sounds starting with a recording of one my last-gen cats calling her friends to tell them food's ready, then miscellaneous meow, the "There's something really interesting on out of reach" chittering, kitten calling for its mom, and, finally, totally-pissed-off-screech.

I've only ever used pissed-off-screech once. It's that banshee wail they make when something REALLY annoys them - I recorded it when one cat was trying to mooch a cockroach another cat had been carrying around in her mouth for 30 minutes. It worked fine on the cats, but the dog spent the next hour cowering behind the sofa.

The kitten's the most effective, that's how I found them today, but I daren't use it too often in case they realise what's happening and switch to Ignore Mode.

PS: the bird cheeps weren't loud enough to attract their attention, but when I carried Saskia over to the monitor, she enjoyed watching the birdies.

Last edited:
Strange. . . invisible cats, preferably inhabiting a parallel universe, are precisely the sort I appreciate the most.

Oh, they're VERY good at hiding. Since ours don't go outside, we're usually very calm when one of them or both have disappeared from sight because we know they'll show up eventually. Sometimes they don't, though. In one instance my husband had accidentally closed his wardrobe while one of the cats was inside - we found out because the other one was sitting in front of the wardrobe, not moving at all. Another time, I closed the door to a small chamber that we use for keeping stuff like cleaning devices, spare chairs and such. When I got home in the evening, only one cat greeted me. Strange, I thought - and then it hit me: I had locked up the second cat in that spare chamber where she had been hiding in the morning *argh*
The worst that ever happened was that one of our cats actually managed to leave the apartment - my husband returned from a concert with a friend, both were a bit drunk and didn't pay attention when they opened the apartment door. The next day, only one cat showed up for breakfast which seemed very strange. So we started searching the flat, openend every wardrobe and every door because we thought she might have been locked up again. After an hour of searching it became clear that she was gone so my husband started to search the whole house from top to bottom while I started thinking about which picture we should put on the "Have you seen this cat"-poster. Even worse: I started thinking "What if some idiot left the front door open again and she ran out into the street and got hit by a car?" By the time my husband returned with the cat in his arms, I was... well... totally worked up and in tears. Since then, she steers clear of the apartment door and has never tried to escape again *phew*

One never forget moment was a cat in the refrigerator. Door was open for a while when putting groceries there. No one noticed the cat who sneaked there without a sound. After a while you could hear a very distant and silent meow coming from somewhere. And the refrigerator isn't the first place that comes to mind when looking a missing cat, but there she was. Luckily nothing major happened, just a bit cold and pissed of cat.

And then a funny story after the first one... My friend lost her mobile phone some years ago. She called all the shops she had visited earlier that day, but no one had seen the phone. She searched every place in her house and car. Phone was closed because the battery was dead, so she couldn't use ringing sound to locate the phone. She looked refrigerator, behind the freezer, under the sofa, laundry basket... every place you can just imagine. Phone was missing two days and finally she found it!
In her cat's sandbox (with a roof). Her cat had this funny custom, that if something fell in front of that box, the cat just HAD to drag it inside the box. Cats love to keep places clean, you know... They had found jackets, sleeping bags, books and other stuff there before, but she never thought that the phone could also be there. Her phone had fallen in front of the box and cat just cleaned it up and buried it in the sand.

Top Bottom