CDPR...what are you up to?

+

Guest 2091327

I'd prefer a new setting. Various forms of medieval and sci fi have been done to death, or at least very often. I'd like to see something new. Or if it has to be in one of these two again (they're rather broad after all), in a new environment or 'culture'. Eastern European of some type is good as it's still new in a sense in the gaming world. Another 'small scale' like the Witcher world would be good actually. We don't always have to be this über hero that save the galaxy or Earth, or even the kingdom.

In any case, I'm hoping that pistol isn't much of a clue, because I'd rather have more swordfighting than another 'shoot all that moves' type of game, even if excellently done by CDPR.

Wichat said:
Maybe I am a dreamer but after know the Forbes article, would not be bad to CDPR could gather some of the ex-devs of Bioware, Bethesda etc. .. (genuine creators of great games displaced by the ambition of big business) and imagine what kind of games they would be able to offer us. Working together under the guarantee of quality and respect that only CDPR offers its followers.I've already said it.... I'm a Dreamer

I wouldn't like that, to be honest. One thing I like about the Witcher series is that Eastern European flavor to it, and while this "flavor" is very hard to describe, I cannot help but think it'd be "tainted" by American influences.

Aver

Forum veteran
Pangaea said:
In any case, I'm hoping that pistol isn't much of a clue, because I'd rather have more swordfighting than another 'shoot all that moves' type of game, even if excellently done by CDPR.

They already said that their second franchise will be more about shooting guns than about swordfighting.

MichaelDarkAngel said:
The opportunity of a lifetime :)

Unfortunately, I only meet 3 of the required skills in the positions I looked at. :'(

Somehow I don't think that would be enough

I am so tempted to send them 2 mods I made for Oblivion and Fallout as a form of resume(corriculum vitae); I could definitely do quest design. Unfortunately they are not close to be finished, although they do show the potential (I think :) )

SystemShock7 said:
I wouldn't like that, to be honest. One thing I like about the Witcher series is that Eastern European flavor to it, and while this "flavor" is very hard to describe, I cannot help but think it'd be "tainted" by American influences.

As Assasins Creed 3 ?! I've seen the trailler, and sorry, with all my sincere respect for USA people, I was truly disappointed when AC 3 attachs freedom wirh the american flag. Sorry but freedom is not exclusiveness of one country, that doesn't make for me (perhaps I love fantasy world by this reason of no belonging to any ideology).

And I agree with you about European flavour, but having work for Bioware, for example, 10 o 15 years ago doesn't imply to impose an americanized tendency ... i think...

Hope my limited english does not create confusion.

SystemShock7 said:
I am so tempted to send them 2 mods I made for Oblivion and Fallout as a form of resume(corriculum vitae); I could definitely do quest design. Unfortunately they are not close to be finished, although they do show the potential (I think :) )

I say go for it.

MDA

Forum veteran
bcheero said:
Is it weird that the gun icon reminded me of James Bond?
Nah, the proportions of the silhouette are reminiscent of (though not identical to) James Bond's Walther PPK. I had the same thought at first.

Guest 2091327

Aver said:
They already said that their second franchise will be more about shooting guns than about swordfighting.

:(

Well, I'm quite sure CDPR will make a great game out of it, I'm just rather tired of all the shooting games right, left and centre. And hopefully CDPR will have more sense and intelligence than to make game number 1758 about white American soldier brings freedom and liberty (TM) to the world by killing as many Arabs as possible.

As long as they stick heavily to RPG it should be good.

Wichat said:
As Assasins Creed 3 ?! I've seen the trailler, and sorry, with all my sincere respect for USA people, I was truly disappointed when AC 3 attachs freedom wirh the american flag. Sorry but freedom is not exclusiveness of one country, that doesn't make for me (perhaps I love fantasy world by this reason of no belonging to any ideology).

And I agree with you about European flavour, but having work for Bioware, for example, 10 o 15 years ago doesn't imply to impose an americanized tendency ... i think...

O puedes contestar en Español o Catalán :)
But yeah, we are a "little" big on the whole freedom thing over here...

Yes, both medieval fantasy and technological "sci-fi" have been overused, that is why I considered Blothulfur's reference to Blade Runner as something beyond that, a concept without a definite genre and closer to "futurism" than fiction (a term PKD himself liked).

Whether people use hovercars or stagecoaches, laser guns or slingshots, quill and ink or augmented-reality devices, etc, is irrelevant to the plots that can be developed when the point of focus are interactions between humans (or other species), ethical and/or political issues, the essence of being, etc etc... and not the actual technological objects. Devices will change, but people will be people and that we can always relate to.

slimgrin said:
Oh lawdy, I see a gun. :cool:

http://cdpred.com/

Apologies this is off topic but I marked your rep down instead of up by mistake D'uh! Sorry! So I added to your naked android post instead!

I hope we are not kept in suspense too long, the possibilities are infinite. Perhaps time and space travel like a Time Lord, but maybe that's too old now :D

I love steampunk as a style, but it always seems to me to work best for novels or art, where you don't need to worry too much about the science behind it. I'm still sad about Golden Compass not really working as a film.

But I'm still revelling at the thought of CDPR doing cyberpunk. It's just so... so.. right for them. It has everything they're good at.

dragonbird said:
I love steampunk as a style, but it always seems to me to work best for novels or art, where you don't need to worry too much about the science behind it. I'm still sad about Golden Compass not really working as a film.

But I'm still revelling at the thought of CDPR doing cyberpunk. It's just so... so.. right for them. It has everything they're good at.

I agree, I liked the Studio Ghibli films such as Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Pity about The Golden Compass, but books (closely based) rarely convert well to films, I think they are too different, personally. But I think CDPR are capable of pulling it off if they wanted to.

gregski said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funky_Koval

I read that page yesterday and, to be honest, I cannot help but think that, given these "connections" with the '80s Poland, the international audience could not appreciate it as much as Polish people.

Might still be quite interesting though, and after all I reckon I know too little about it.

Wichat said:

I'm sorry the game gives that impression, and I'd take offense, too, if a game implied that any nation had a monopoly on freedom.

But it had to be set somewhere, and AC3 is set particularly in the American Revolution. It also commemorates a real-life hero of the Continentals, the Oneida war leader Joseph Louis ("Colonel Louis") Cook.

"These are real people, and this is where and when they died." (Creative Director Alex Hutchinson, according to Ben Kuchera of Penny Arcade)

On topic, if CDPR wants to make a game that is set in RL Polish or Baltic history, which has no shortage of heroes and acts of patriotism, they certainly have my support.

RL Colonel Louis, from Trumbull, "The Death of General Montgomery"

GuyN said:
But it had to be set somewhere, and AC3 is set particularly in the American Revolution. It also commemorates a real-life hero of the Continentals, the Oneida war leader Joseph Louis ("Colonel Louis") Cook.

"These are real people, and this is where and when they died." (Creative Director Alex Hutchinson, according to Ben Kuchera of Penny Arcade)

Hmmm. One of the consequences of using historical figures (Quote from the Cesare Borgia "talk" section at wikipedia, I remembered noticing it last year.)

"Also someones got to stop those fan boys of assassin's creed from editing it to make it look like this great man was killed by a video game hero. Someone's got to protect the topic on his death because people who believe the game as hard truth put down that a fake person killed him. He died in the siege of Viana but not from a fictional "assassin" kicking him off the walls"

It might be interesting to have a historical game, but it's also a bit limiting for player choice, isn't it? Even more so than with a well-defined character like Geralt.

Top Bottom