Character Appearance Thread

+
the visual art itself for the cover has more explicit rules for copyright infringement than ideas or tropes in the film itself. they'd need to be careful.

Depends on jurisdiction - I'm not up on the international copyright law. Although CDPR a) has their own ideas on their art and b) has a vigourous legal team.

If we see a GitS homage on the cover, cool. Doubt we will though.

Depends on jurisdiction - I'm not up on the international copyright law. Although CDPR a) has their own ideas on their art and b) has a vigourous legal team.

If we see a GitS homage on the cover, cool. Doubt we will though.
if they want to do it it really wouldnt be too hard to just work a deal with ghost's publisher tbh. but static images are pretty cut and dry cases of infringement compared to full works like movies or games so they'd be aware of it.

Yes when it comes to making my character there is a great example which is saints row 4 because you got a voiced character that had third person cutscenes and interactions also there were sew scene in the game to also the way to could make your character look was amazing and i hope that there is more than one type of body your character can have because we all remember gta V online with that horrible character creator practically everyone looked the same.

I think they both look good. I'll play as the male, but I tell ya that female V is just gorgeous. Wish they had her as an NPC I could romance in the game. :D

Mmm. Tough one. An homage is certainly fine - think of all the tropes and images Ghost in the Shell used, from the VR Internet/Matrix of Neuromancer to Starship Troopers powered armour to half of everything Harlan Ellison ever wrote about. or Dick. Or Bradbury. Or Dashiell Hammett.

As long as they weren't like, "you're the Major hurr hurr hurr!" That'd be bad.

Oooh...I can maybe build Batou in CP2077...REALLY hoping we can change the face of V now. And that cyber changes it too.

It'd be super cool if we had Major and Batou's hairstyles available in CP2077 character customization.

Please, no third person finishes and melee!!o_O Switching camera perspective during gameplay is a terrible thing, and I don't want to watch useless "cool" little animations, that take control of the game from me and got stale real fast. Third person tehdowns were the worst thing about new Deus Ex games.

Dancing in clubs in third person (Bloodlines style) is a GREAT idea!(y)

The Madqueen Show just released a video talking about character creation from the demo...

Can someone from CDPR, if you can, please confirm whether or not you guys are definitely sticking to presets only?

I was really hoping the game would have more customization options, something along the lines of Eve Online. The idea of creating versions of our favourite comic book characters, tv/movie/cartoon, anything our imagination can come up with or even ourselves, was/is an extremely appealing idea. I know there would still be limitations but at least the characters would be uniquely our own, without seeing the exact same face in someone else's game. (I promise, I'm not trying to be rude with that last statement, so I hope it does not come across that way. :) )

- - - - -
Edited to add: If you are definitely going the route of presets, maybe you could have preset options to give us more variety? Like for example, 5 face shape presets, with 5 different eye/nose/mouth shape options. At least then we could still make characters unique to what we want and envision?

Last edited:
Can someone from CDPR, if you can, please confirm whether or not you guys are definitely sticking to presets only?
I'm not officially part of CDPR, but I heard in other places there are no facial structure sliders. Looking for source ...

Here we go https://www.pcgamer.com/everything-we-know-about-cyberpunk-2077/

Does Cyberpunk 2077 have character creation?
Yep. During the demo we got a quick peak of the character creation screen, which starts with choosing your sex. From there, you can customize hair, tattoos, and clothing. It doesn't look like you can change your character's bone structure, though—no deep menu of facial feature sliders here.

You can also change your stats. There are basics like Strength and Intelligence, but also a 'Cool' stat that perhaps maps to charisma or one's ability to handle stress. The full list from what we saw in the demo: Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Reflexes, Tech, Cool. Notably, there are some important stats from the tabletop Cyberpunk not represented here, like Empathy. More on why that's significant below.

Personally, the more granular a character creator the better for me. That said, I'm fine with presets, especially if they give a decent number of options which seem to be getting more popular with games that aren't planning on selling most of the customization options through microtransactions (only reason EO has it) or cosmetic DLC.

EVE Online had a sick character creator one of the best ever, APB would also an example for a great editor. But maybe the current state is just that, current state and a more elaborate editor will be made at a later stage.

FIFA has (or had) the ability for you to upload a photo of head and use that in game. The announcers couldn't say your name, but it was pretty cool to see yourself on the pitch with your favourite footballers.

That really doesn't make sense, like here is tattoos and all these other unique ways to customize your character and it's all about style. But no sculpting?

Top Bottom