Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
Hunter Instinct synergizes with the other oil talents. If you're using the right oil for the job, you'll deal 100% more critical damage against the targeted enemy type. So if you max out all three oil talents you'll have 50% more damage against the targeted enemy type, 25% more damage resistance when fighting that enemy and 100% more critical damage just by having the right oil on your sword. And you won't even have to worry that it will wear off.

Killing Spree will further increase your damage output. As long as your toxicity is above zero it will increase your critical hit chance by 50% each time you kill an enemy.

So all in all, these three talents will work much better with your build I think. They'll give you a ton of damage and critical hits and a bit of protection as well.

I thought Hunter Instict or Killing Spree was bugged and didn't work. I never read patch notes, so I have no idea if they fixed this or not. If I get rid of Quen's Exploding Shield then I feel like I should utilize an armor other than the Ursine armor. Should I use the Manticore armor in its place? This build does't really have a way to utilize adrenaline points hence why I was using Rage Management. I've also realized that grenades are kinda, sorta really fun. Is there a way to incorporate some explosives into this build?

I thought Hunter Instict or Killing Spree was bugged and didn't work. I never read patch notes, so I have no idea if they fixed this or not. If I get rid of Quen's Exploding Shield then I feel like I should utilize an armor other than the Ursine armor. Should I use the Manticore armor in its place? This build does't really have a way to utilize adrenaline points hence why I was using Rage Management. I've also realized that grenades are kinda, sorta really fun. Is there a way to incorporate some explosives into this build?

If you went full alchemy, you'd have bombs, oils and potions. Or you could keep the combat talents and replace oils or potions with bomb talents. It's up to you but you have to decide what you want to focus on because you can't have everything in one build.

Hey folks,

I was wondering if you'd be able to help end a debate my wife and I are having. She doesn't play video games but enjoys watching me play them for some reason(?). Anywho, I think it is only fair that she gets make decisions since she is watching me and helps with stuff at time.

So here are the two builds:

##[ALCHEMY / COMBAT - EUPHORIA](http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?...0570680b92ja2db24c26d2c&m=02182238&r=1238&u=8)

or

##[COMBAT / ALCHEMY - EUPHORIA](http://www.rpg-gaming.com/tw3.html?...0e700805924a36b13c26d2d&m=02182238&r=1238&u=8)

Admins, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I can't remember for the life of me as to where we are supposed to be post, and yes this will be my last post.

MAJOR EDIT:

Ignore everything before this.

I have it finally narrowed down, I hope, to these two builds. If anyone could please, please, please tell which one is better and if either could be completed during the first run through that would be fantastic.

Anyway, here are the two updated builds.

Alchemy/Combat

or

Combat/Alchemy

Seriously, I'd appreciate it if I could get some input. Right now, my build is just the skill the two have in common, and I am almost finished with that.

Thanks so much for your help,
LoSientoCharlie

EDIT:
Admins, I'd appreciate your input too....

Last edited:
Hi as the title says, im looking for some early quick build with weapons, armor and skills to pick. Thanks in advance

Hi as the title says, im looking for some early quick build with weapons, armor and skills to pick. Thanks in advance
For the first half of the game signs are much more effective than swords. Start with medium armor (buy the Nilfgardian set in the first village and use the potion which lowers items level to equip it as soon as possible) and get Griffin School Technique - you can now spam Igni for damage/CC and finish enemies with sword. Get Gourmet (for long health regeneration) and Arrow Deflection (to block archers) ASAP. Then max Melt Armor, Delusion (helps with quests) and Firestream. Use blue mutagens and runes/glyphs to further enhance your signs.
By lvl10 you can choose to further develop your signs or invest in combat skills. Signs are very good until +/-lv25 when sword+alchemy start to outdamage them.

Euphoria or Conductors of Magic for Sign build?

Magic Sensibilities is ok I guess, but it locks your mutagen Ability slots to Signs and somehow the damage is underwhelming... It says I have 50% chance of 300% bonus, but my base Igni hits for 330 and a crit does not make it 1320 as it should. Piercing Cold is a no-no despite its power, since I built my Griffin Geralt around Igni/Yrden.

Reasons for Euphoria:

- Places Alchemy skills in the middle, so I can pretty much just focus on Signs elsewhere
- Does not require any investment in Combat to increase sword damage
- Increases Sign intensity regardless
- Has excellent synergy with Ekhidna decoction and Petri's Philter/Tawny Owl

Reasons for Conductors of Magic:

- Base Sign damage gets a high bonus
- Lets you place Combat abilities in the middle
- More balanced damage output between Combat and Signs
- You really don't need 4 ability slots for Alchemy in a Sign build

It's really hard to pass on Euphoria, because you can have Heightened Tolerance, Acquired Tolerance, Tissue Transmutation and Synergy, which makes you not only durable but also king of crowd control, and fixes Griffin's weakness against bosses. But Conductors of Magic makes offensive casting much more viable, especially with NewGame+ swords, and lots of monsters in this game are extremely vulnerable to Igni (including vampires, most importantly).

Hi fellow Witchers,

I played TW3 since day 1 and recently I started my 6th or 7th playthrough. Although I am sort of a 'veteran' player I never really did anything special with my builds / skills. I always tought that basic sword skills were enough to kill enemies. I want to do things differently now, beside only using Quen and hack and slash combat.

I am already struggling and don't know were to begin with my build. I just started this new adventure, lv 8, so I don't have many skill points yet. What is a good way to start and what are cool builds to follow? I prefer something with combat and magic/signs, or some sort of a hybrid build.

Thanks, and happy new year.

@Westland1940 Thread merged. Plenty of builds here, if you're interested.

Here are some views of mine (I like combat with a side of magic):

For combat, the first fast and/or strong attack skills are a good choice for early-game.
For magic, I like Delusion not only for dialogue but also the boost to Axii's combat effectiveness (superb against humans).
It's impossible to find red mutagens in White Orchard (unless your game is modded), so a magic skill slotted will get you an earlier boost.
I like medium armour, so I always pick Griffin school techniques very early on.

@Draconifors Thanks. First thing I added was also Delusion for the dialogue options. Also invested some in igni, I like the fire animations. I think I have to play around a bit and when Im higher I could always reset the skills later on and focus on a real build.

Any hints or suggestions for someone who about to start The Witcher 3 for the first time. :giggle: I have been doing a bit of reading waiting for the game to arrive which will probably confuse me for a while. (y)

Any hints or suggestions for someone who about to start The Witcher 3 for the first time.
Here are some of my personal experiences, which may help:

I recommend keeping the difficulty at 'Story and Sword' (or 'Just the Story', if you run into trouble), until you get the hang of the combat system (especially at the beginning). Once you feel comfortable, you can always try it higher, by adjusting it in Options: Gameplay.

Initially, it may seem as though you aren't making much money, but, if you explore a bit, you'll usually find some interesting -- or at least profitable -- loot. (Also, make sure to check tree stumps, and, eventually, fallen logs.)

To start, be careful of wolves and Drowners, as they are swift and dangerous. It's best to keep on the move, to avoid their attacks, and strike hard when you can. Until you are a higher level, always avoid becoming surrounded, or ploughing straight into a group of enemies.

As for skills, investing in Delusion early on will come in handy (and not just in combat), as will the various levels of Quen. Igni will be your friend, especially against Drowners, and, sometimes, can be used to set off explosive barrels in bandit camps. (Remember to stand clear!) Until more skill slots open, focusing on Combat skills can be helpful, as can a couple of the General skills, such as Sun and Stars, or Survival Instinct. Remember that you can always swap out skills, depending on what you expect to be fighting.

Feel free to ask, if you have specific questions about the above, or anything else.

Also: at the beginning, it can help to avoid quests that are above your current level.

As often with games like this one, it's better to be a bit more careful during the first few hours. Even if your opponent is just 1 or 2 levels above your character, it can hurt a lot. So it might be best to do every side quest during the first chapter. After a few levels, you can start taking more risk.

Besides, while there are some effective skills as Riven already mentioned, it can help to focus on one direction at the beginning. I'd say it's better to have one powerful skill than many weak ones.

I'd say it's better to have one powerful skill than many weak ones.
Ay, absolutely. It's best not to spread your skill points too thin.

Regarding powerful enemies: If you meet any with a red skull over their heads, run.

Oh, yes, and don't kill any cows.

It should also be mentioned that later on it will be possible to completely reset all skills (reacquiring spent skills points) for a fairly low price. So even if you end up picking skills that turn out to be not so good you won't be stuck with them forever.

In addition to skill suggestions already made (Delusion is definitely worth it):

Arrow Deflection, the first Defense skill, is a personal favourite of mine because it's
1) available from the moment you acquire your first skill point
2) extremely useful, especially if upgraded, against human enemies, which are numerous all over the game world and usually in groups

The General skill called Gourmet can be really useful early on; food is super easy to come by and a great alternative to the Swallow potion when you're low level.

And, indeed, don't spread your skill points too wide.
It's viable to only take skills in fast or heavy attacks instead of both, especially if you prefer using one or the other (I prefer heavy attacks, so I take its first skills before the first fast attack skills, for example).
It's also viable to not take any combat perks, especially if on one of the more forgiving difficulties. I did it once on the highest difficulty, and it was fine until a certain DLC boss battle where my DPS was simply too low. Magic and alchemy can be really strong.

As a new player the most important things are to try things out, not be afraid of getting Geralt killed (it's gonna happen anyway; if the enemies don't get you the fall damage will :p ), and, last but definitely not least, have fun.

Riven, Devivre and Dragonifors ... Thank you for so much good information and hints, I am even going to write them down so at least I will be off to a good start. :D

Oh, yes, and don't kill any cows.

Oh Riven how could I kill a cow with those big beautiful eyes. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom