Character Customization!

+
Good!

One thing any good RPG needs is to separate "real" damage (knives, bullets, etc.) from "debility" damage (getting punched in the nose).
Sure getting your nose broken is "real" damage, but merely getting it bent and making you see double isn't.

Brawling kind-of represents this. No add-on to damage. Since you do 1d6/2 per punch, rounded down, two normal, BOD 6 guys would need, on average, 5 solid hits to take you from 0 to Moderate wound. Many more, if you allow BTM to reduce the damage to 0, which I absolutely would for non-lethal combat. And even lethal combat for Hand to hand, arguably.

I think the idea in Cyberpunk was that all Martial Arts - including Boxing - are taught in 2020 to be lethal. Because it's quite possible you will need them to defend your life.

That's how we rationalized it. So when you see that massive damage from a punch or kick to the head, that's not a jab to the nose, it's a knife-hand to the windpipe or an elbow strike to the temple.

I agree with suhiir, taking a bad kick in the ribs (and even a broken nose), even if it hurts, doesn't stop you like a knife stab or a bullet in the chest (even if it's a 9mm). So, yeah, there should be two types of damage, hand to hand combat related damage, and weapon realted damage.

Anyaways, back to character customization. Well, I'd love something really deep like in EVE Online, where you can really make a unique character. And for clothes and armor, well, just make TONS of them! Give us choice!
Oh, and please, for armors, make them kind of customizable, not only their looks but also their stats. I hate when in games, you have to change armor because it's better than the one you had before, even if it's bad looking.

I agree with suhiir, taking a bad kick in the ribs (and even a broken nose), even if it hurts, doesn't stop you like a knife stab or a bullet in the chest (even if it's a 9mm). So, yeah, there should be two types of damage, hand to hand combat related damage, and weapon realted damage.

Anyaways, back to character customization. Well, I'd love something really deep like in EVE Online, where you can really make a unique character. And for clothes and armor, well, just make TONS of them! Give us choice!
Oh, and please, for armors, make them kind of customizable, not only their looks but also their stats. I hate when in games, you have to change armor because it's better than the one you had before, even if it's bad looking.

Maybe stun damage and physical damage... maybe things like the "bleeding" effects in The Witcher...

"Stun" and "Physical" would work.

I would also like for the outcomes of having each one reduced to be different. In Deus Ex you could get hit with tranquilizer darts but they would do you damage that added up for physical damage, and the outcome of having your health be reduced to zero by tranquilizers resulted in your death. How cool would it be to be knocked out and then waking up either in the same place hours later or having been dragged somewhere else, maybe being taken as a prisoner. Maybe if we have a companion the game could simulate the rest of the fight and some times our companion would be able to take our enemies on his or her own and then he would reanimate us right away or whatever.

I agree "Stun" and "Physical" damage should be additive, the major difference being how long and how much medical treatment is needed to recover from each.

While waking up hours/minutes later where you fell or in a cell would be a damn nice feature it's much easier (code wise) to just treat a player defeat as normal regardless of the cumulative cause.

character artworks from http://igorkieryluk.deviantart.com/, an artist from Poland who work with CD

another interesting artwork from him with the title "Night City"

Last edited:
NICE to see some people about, let's hope that aspect of it is more then just "concept art".
I'm also hoping that while augmentation isn't at all rare it's not so common everyone has it.

Wow, I love concept arts, and those are some nice ones!
While waking up hours/minutes later where you fell or in a cell would be a damn nice feature it's much easier (code wise) to just treat a player defeat as normal regardless of the cumulative cause.
Yeah, it'd be easier to just lose. Because anyways, if you get stunned by enemies, they'll just probably shoot you dead once you're asleep, instead of leaving you there. Well, that's how I see it. But, it would be cool to be taken prisoner once or twice, to spice things up (like that medicine mission in TW2, eventhough it was a pretty simple side quest) :)

Wow, I love concept arts, and those are some nice ones!

Yeah, it'd be easier to just lose. Because anyways, if you get stunned by enemies, they'll just probably shoot you dead once you're asleep, instead of leaving you there. Well, that's how I see it. But, it would be cool to be taken prisoner once or twice, to spice things up (like that medicine mission in TW2, eventhough it was a pretty simple side quest) :)

But why would they be so kind as to not use lethal ammunition from the beginning?

I just would like the option to create a muscular (not just fit or toned) female amazon. I wanted to do that all my life but it appears that a muscular female mesh is an unsurmountable challenge to developers. I know very few people would use this, but please... let us have the option

I really don't like any of those... none of them seem to be remotely practical..... for anything....

Top Bottom