Character Romance Discussion

+
Romance in the Cyberpunk? Yes. But there are some conditions.

Firstly it can't be a "system". It has to be a part of a plot or a major sub-plot. It doesn't have to be obligatory part - I guess several different roads might lead to the games finale. The love interests can't be interchangable. They have to be well established characters that you can actually care about.
An example from my own experience. Years ago I played this MMO called "9 Dragons". Nothing special, a grind fest, really. Spoiler alert ;) But in one factions starting area there were this girl NPC. She wasn't even meant as a love interest (or if so I haven't progressed far enough to find out). She was anoying and obnoxious and, since she was the only quest giver, you were basicly her bitch - go there and kill this, go to town and buy me a drink etc. And ever so often she would drop in some tidbits of her past in the dialogue. And her attitude would change little by little towards something of a camaraderie. And then she just went off and got herself killed. I was surprised how upset I got when I learned about it. And then even more surprised how happy it made me to hear that she was alive afterall.
Few good lines of dialog and some good dramatic timing made me care about this (probably) throw-away character.

Secondly it has to be gritty and at least a little dark. There are no happy ends in Cyberpunk. Remember the story of Johnny Silverhand and his girlfriend Alt?
Or who have seen "Ninja Scroll"?
Or anything Kilravok wrote few posts earlier.

Cool idea that just came up into my head. I don't know if anyone said this already, but what about about if there was a romance that was an AI? I noticed romances in other parts of the media, like the implied one between EDI and Joker in Mass Effect 3, the one between Aya and Razer in the animated series of Green Lantern (yes, I watch that show here and there), and others, and I thought that it would be a pretty interesting idea to have a full-fledged touchable artificial intelligence. I wouldn't know exactly how the romance would go, but I find it somewhat possible.

Or, in a case, be an artificial intelligence.

You almost always have a choice to romance characters in most games, if you don't want to just don't ignore all the choices to do so.

Yes there should be options to have relations with someone in Cpunk 2077, yes it needs to be done right in context of the cyberpunk setting.

Romance is a solid yes for me. But this a mature game, so I would want one night stands or the acquisition of hookers. There's two sides to this romance concept. I think it'd stay true to the grit of cyberpunk 2020.

As long as it's not a soap opera dating simulator like Mass Effect, I am OK with some relationships. But only if it adds to the development of character, plot and setting.

Don't make every character bisexual *cough* DA2 *cough* and don't make everyone love you and praise every choice you make.

I'm positive to having relationship in the game so that, if you choose to, it can grow as the story goes along , but saying the word romance it sounds sort of like copying bioware system of speaking with characters long enough to have a sex scene in the latter part of the game.

having relationships and sex is A-ok but what is more important than just choosing what character to bone in this play-though is characterization. different characterization in the npc and characterization of your own character in how you socialize with npc.

I'm gonna throw this out there also, how about having an option of a gay relationship and rightly act like its no big deal

Personally, it is not going to make or break the game either way, but if CDPR decides to include romance, my preference would be something like the romance fo the 2 protagonists in Enemy at the Gates, or the relationship between the Cajun medic and the French nurse in Band of Brothers, or even the romantic friction between the 2 gun-crazed, bood-thirsty colonial marines in Aliens; these movies depict romance in chaotic situations, at different levels, for different reasons...

Cool idea that just came up into my head. I don't know if anyone said this already, but what about about if there was a romance that was an AI? I noticed romances in other parts of the media, like the implied one between EDI and Joker in Mass Effect 3, the one between Aya and Razer in the animated series of Green Lantern (yes, I watch that show here and there), and others, and I thought that it would be a pretty interesting idea to have a full-fledged touchable artificial intelligence. I wouldn't know exactly how the romance would go, but I find it somewhat possible.

Or, in a case, be an artificial intelligence.

Oh great, now the Toaster Vagina is a USB peripheral..........

don't know if this came up already, but the romance between jackie estacado and jenny romano in the darkness is a perfect example of how i want romance to be featured in cyberpunk 2077

- it's part of the story and character growth of jackie
- it's kinda understated and not so "in your face" like in the bioware games
- it tries something new instead of the typical "answer 5 questions a certain way to get the girl"

just look at this barely interactive cutscenes, those two scenes alone beat everything bioware has ever done in terms of romance

No, it should not be a major part of the experience. If it's anything like the insipid, juvenile shit that Bioware does, with NPC's worshiping the ground the player walks on, constantly rubbing their ego, I will hang myself.

The world is ugly, ruthless and unforgiving. Any romance - I hate that word - any relationships, should reflect that.

This.

If romance is at all in the game, make it a bittersweet connection that recognizes that in the day and age of Cyberpunk, a life long relationship is a naive fairytale that used to happen in earlier times.

Romance, if at all present, are opportunistic encounters, that give a temporary balm to the shitty world around the characters.

don't know if this came up already, but the romance between jackie estacado and jenny romano in the darkness is a perfect example of how i want romance to be featured in cyberpunk 2077

- it's part of the story and character growth of jackie
- it's kinda understated and not so "in your face" like in the bioware games
- it tries something new instead of the typical "answer 5 questions a certain way to get the girl"

just look at this barely interactive cutscenes, those two scenes alone beat everything bioware has ever done in terms of romance

Except that this relationship was already going, whereas in BioWare games they always had you meeting people for the first time ... while I do agree it was very cool to be able to watch (squint) at To Kill a Mockingbird in its entirety, it is in no means better as a romance for that nor is better than every BioWare romance.

Except that this relationship was already going, whereas in BioWare games they always had you meeting people for the first time ... while I do agree it was very cool to be able to watch (squint) at To Kill a Mockingbird in its entirety, it is in no means better as a romance for that nor is better than every BioWare romance.

really? why do you think bioware romances are better, what do you like about them? i'm honestly curious because i don't like them at all but there seems to ne a huge fandom so maybe i'm missing something.. oh and btw i don't think it's mandatory for a good romance to meet the person for the first time, your character and the other one could have had some sort of relationship in the past.. that would be interesting

Top Bottom