Combat Thread - General

+
Yeah I keep hoping this is the case buuuuuuut...

So far it's just like Witcher 3 and that was 2 years from press-only E3 demo to release.

I thought 2 years of hype was pretty tiring, but hey, W3 did sell like hotcakes. Maybe they don't wanna mess with a winning formula.

In any case, combat isn't my huge worry for Cpunk. I've always enjoyed CDPR combat systems, I'm sure I will this one as well.

Sure would LIKE a super cool Martial Arts system though...
Well, to be fair, it wasn't supposed to be 2 years. It just got delayed twice (Something I hope they can avoid with 2077).

I believe unarmed combat will be in, though. I feel like that's been confirmed somewhere. Going to dig.

I certainly wouldn't want MMO style combat systems, I think the most anybody is asking for is RPG combat systems.
I certainly don't expect (or want) some sort of isometric or even Third Person system (tho I totally agree it may be better for melee/unarmed).
I just want to know if there's an RPG combat option, or if it's strictly FPS.

I think that cyberpunk 2077 should manipulating weapons like the gravity gun that can be use and a weapon to kill people but to also solve puzzles also the game should have limb targeting where you could shoot a man arm off which would disarm of his weapon or cut his leg off so now his is cruel in on the ground that level of detail will really give this game a rpg feel because you should how you will take down the enemies.

Also the nemesis system from shadow of more or would really amp up the AI and make them feel like really people and not just some mindless NPCS trying to kill you.

But the most important would be that this game needs a grappling hook how cool would it be to scale a side of a building mission impossible style to crash through a Window which in turn surprises the enemy making them easier to skill.

I don't recall doing that, but I haven't been following this entire thread so I may have missed that discussion.

I certainly wouldn't want MMO style combat systems, I think the most anybody is asking for is RPG combat systems.

oh you definitely did not, it was some one else just above the person i was replying too.

I think that cyberpunk 2077 should manipulating weapons like the gravity gun that can be use and a weapon to kill people but to also solve puzzles also the game should have limb targeting where you could shoot a man arm off which would disarm of his weapon or cut his leg off so now his is cruel in on the ground that level of detail will really give this game a rpg feel because you should how you will take down the enemies.

Also the nemesis system from shadow of more or would really amp up the AI and make them feel like really people and not just some mindless NPCS trying to kill you.

But the most important would be that this game needs a grappling hook how cool would it be to scale a side of a building mission impossible style to crash through a Window which in turn surprises the enemy making them easier to skill.

Punctuation, please :)

Different damage types sound good, but again: they really need to make this visually "credible". Would hate to see some random thug soaking gunfire because "resistances".
They need to "look the part" and avoid turning this into Borderlands.
Is chemical equivalent of "plasma" here? Seems a lot similar to Fallout.

Different damage types sound good, but again: they really need to make this visually "credible". Would hate to see some random thug soaking gunfire because "resistances".
They need to "look the part" and avoid turning this into Borderlands.
Is chemical equivalent of "plasma" here? Seems a lot similar to Fallout.

Well, in 2020, chemicals are actually chemical attacks. Squirtguns filled with poisons, acids and drugs, Drug-A-Thug slap patches, injector hands, rounds loaded with toxins and pharma...interesting stuff.

Custom-made paintball rounds, for example, can be a good way to take down an otherwise heavily-armored enemy.

Solo of Fortune 2 has a fight between a Borg and a lightly armed and armoured Solo who drops the tank with a poison dart. Guess he should have invested in better nanotech...

Mechanics wise - RPG mechanics wise that is, skill effects on combat shootingm etc - did you see something that might've felt out of the ordinary. Yes or no will suffice if you have nothing to say.

Being able to hack enemies while unconscious if you go for a non-lethal approach.

And I to am VERY curious if there was even a hint that combat would be anything but standard "First Person Shooter".

Truth is, I have the impression that the dev playing in my pass was so tired of the game that moved into combat too fast and we didn't see some features. But that's an impression, I really don't know.

I think the number of approaches to combat may be the hint you mean, combined with the options that technology can give you, I don't think the final result will be a "standard First Person Shooter" because in here you have other approaches way above the standard.

I thought 2 years of hype was pretty tiring

I have the theory (no proof at all, just a theory) that we're going to be shown very different things from here until the game is finished, not only improved versions of what we saw previously. Now we saw a little of the universe and combat. Maybe in one year, we'll see the net and combat on the net. This will keep people hooked.

Being able to hack enemies while unconscious if you go for a non-lethal approach.

Yeah ok, that I knew. I meant more the core shooting itself. Did recoil seem like it had any impact on shooting, was there any spread of bullets, how did the crosshair react to shooting, what kind of UI overlays did the smart rifle use for target selection... that kind of stuff, anything to imply the was some kind of stat/skill influence to it.

Yeah ok, that I knew. I meant more the core shooting itself. Did recoil seem like it had any impact on shooting, was there any spread of bullets, how did the crosshair react to shooting, what kind of UI overlays did the smart rifle use for target selection... that kind of stuff, anything to imply the was some kind of stat/skill influence to it.

You had "lots of numbers on the screen", UI was kind of messy mainly because the colors used were difficult to read to information overlapped too easily. And I would lie if I told you I remember the target selection. One thing I do remember. THE HUGE FONT SIZE. I mean, I remember complaining about the tiny font size in the Witcher 3, when I saw the font size on screen in Cyberpunk I couldn't help but smile.

While there are no doubt those who love seeing their screen filled with numbers every time they pull the trigger one hopes there's an option to turn them off.

Watching JMMO/RPGs in particular I see lots of colors, movement, effects, numbers (and oversize weapons) and can't help but wonder if they're designed by/for 10-year-olds. Hell you can't even see what's happening 90% of the time because of all the graphics spamming the screen.

Last edited:
While there are no doubt those who love seeing their screen filled with numbers every time they full the trigger one hopes there's an option to turn them off.

Watching JMMO/RPGs in particular I see lots of colors, movement, effects, numbers (and oversize weapons) and can't help but wonder if they're designed by/for 10-year-olds. Hell you can't even see what's happening 90% of the time because of all the graphics spamming the screen.

They're designed for the general populace by developers and animators that aim specifically towards their target audience, usually ages 10-mid-20s. J-anything is always heavily exaggerated for a reason. Their movies, music, games, and everything all follow a certain set of standards that are all about flash and attracting attention. Their normal lives are already so painfully boring and stressful because of societal norms, so the hyper-exaggerated media they consume lets them escape from that in the same way that we escape with our media.

They're used to that specific style of combat too, much in the way that anybody that's regularly seen it is. Like Devil May Cry. It's Japanese down to its very core with its flashy action, and if you grew up on high-action games like that, you come to expect it. The bigger the number, the more powerful you feel, as well. Nobody cares about a slugfest between generic thug one and two. Everyone cares about a slugfest between Superman and Doomsday. That's why people get bored at doing one damage versus fifty health points, but get excited doing one million damage to equivalent health points.

Would be good if we could go for an stealth approach and an agressive aproach, since they're many ways to take down multiple enemies, hope they let the player do what approach is better for the player.

Do you guys think that there would be any "normal" weapons in the game?...or is it going to be a choice among futuristic "special" weapons only....seeking bullets, blast through walls, ricochet bullets.

Do you guys think that there would be any "normal" weapons in the game?...or is it going to be a choice among futuristic "special" weapons only....seeking bullets, blast through walls, ricochet bullets.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how those three could possibly work.
But I think we can safely assume most of the bad guys won't have magic ... excuse me ... high tech ... weapons.

Top Bottom