Computer randomly restarts while playing.

+
Computer randomly restarts while playing.

Ive been having this problem with tw3 ever since release, I think my TitanX is bad but I honestly have no clue on how to test it. When I am playing tw3 my computer will just restart itself randomly. It has done it on batman arkham knight today twice so its not only tw3. But it doesnt restart itself when playing League of Legends or Heroes of the storm.

Does anyone have a way I can test if its my gfx card if thats the problem?

Here are my PC specs
2500k 4.4ghz| Asus TitanX 12gb| 8Gb DDR3| Samsung 840pro 256gb SSD| Win7| Acer Predator 1440p

Thanks.

Could be few things. If the PC simply shut off completely, I'd suspect your power supply wasn't sufficient in either wattage or consistent/steady output. What vid card did you have before, and what's your current PSU? Also, be sure to recheck (twice) all your connections; installing new equipment can unseat other cables elsewhere even if it doesn't seem like it would. Literally. Check every cable being seated, which is often best done by unseating it and plugging it back in with a satisfying click. :)

I've fixed a few PCs that rebooted randomly during graphically demanding games. In all of these cases, the problem was always the PSU. It couldn't supply enough power to the video card when most needed.

So personally, I'd start by trying another PSU before anything else. It's not impossible that the video card could be broken, but in my experience these sudden restarts are more commonly caused by weak or faulty PSUs.

850Watts should be enough for your Titan X caus' as Anandtech said, the Titan X consumes roughly the same amount of power as an OC 780 or a 780ti. The cards have the same TDP too.

My computer used to reboot playing Watch Dogs with a GTX 770. I changed the PSU and it solved my problem. The new one has the same amount of watts but is way better in terms of quality and efficiency (better components, more accurate and stable voltages, a single 12V rail with more amperes etc.).

You should definitely have a look at your temperatures too, as Serwadion said.

EDIT : Just saw your i5 is overclocked. Did you try with standard clock speeds? It will decrease the amount of power your PSU has to deliver.

Last edited:
That PSU is definitely not going to struggle to power your rig unless the PSU itself is starting to develop a fault, I speak as a IT engineer here. I can tell you what to check though to find the cause of the random restarts.

- Check CPU & GPU temps
- Ensure that 4.4GHz OC on the 2500k is stable with intel burn test
- Remove any dust from heatsinks and fans
- Verify your memory sticks are ok with HCI memtest

If you still get restarts you are going to have to dig deeper by taking your PC apart and replacing the TIM and thermal pads used under all the heatsinks, particularly if you have had the system a few years and never done it, in that case I can almost guarantee your restarts are being caused by a component overheating.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon, here; it's almost certainly a result of low power. A heating issue would likely result in a warning beep you can't miss. If it's just shutting down randomly with no warnings before or after the restart...that means the motherboard is actually nodding off -- no calls or errors from the CPU, GPU, or memory.

Top Bottom