Consequences ?

+
Yeah I realized that no matter what the ending is basically the same, for V. No matter what choices you make nothing changes for V.
I love many things about the game, 170+ hours playtime, but the ending was disappointing and pointless. I mean the whole marketing speak about making choices and playing OUR V was just empty words. The game makes the choices for you and no matter what you do and say, it's over.

I think CDPR took the whole blaze of glory or fade away thing way too seriously. How about neither? I don't care about glory or fading away. Just let me have fun.

Edit: Also it pisses me of the more I think about it. A whole game about a character, her desires, hopes, fears and dreams. And the devs throws V away in the garbage.

Last edited:
Yeah I realized that no matter what the ending is basically the same, for V. No matter what choices you make nothing changes for V.
I love many things about the game, 170+ hours playtime, but the ending was disappointing and pointless. I mean the whole marketing speak about making choices and playing OUR V was just empty words. The game makes the choices for you and no matter what you do and say it's over.

I think CDPR took the whole blaze of glory or fade away thing way to seriously. How about neither? I don't care about glory or fading away. Just let me have fun.

Edit: Also it pisses me of the more I think about it. A whole game about a character, her desires, hopes, fears and dreams. And the devs throws V away in the garbage.

I ll PASTE here something what a guy type. HAVE SPOILER, dont read if you dont finish the game

"The narrative has issues which are related to how it's built-up and it's pacing but not the endings.
The endings are actually good you simply misunderstood them.

There are two major narrative points introduced during the prologue.
  • The fate you are after through the question raised by Dex
Would you rather live in peace as Miss Nobody, die ripe, old and smellin' slightly of urine? Or go down for all times in a blaze of glory, smellin' near like posies, 'thout seein' your thirtieth?
  • Will you become Johnny because of the chip or are you going to fight to remain your own self

And there is another one introduced just shortly after which is:

• Have things actually changed in the past 60 years, but more importantly are people even capable of change.

All the endings are a combination of these narrative choices to some extent.

There are 3 endings in which the player (an by that extent V) becomes Johnny to an extent regardless of who gets to keep the body in the end.

These are all the endings in which you assault the Araska HQ the Nomad one, the Rogue one and the "secret" one.

The assault of the Arasaka HQ is essentially a repeat of the events of 2020 when Johnny decided to assault the Araska HQ to settle a personal grievance getting some of his friends and a bunch of innocents killed.

If the player chooses to assault the Araska HQ the same thing happens, he gets his friends killed and innocents die, the bomb in 2020 and Alt's massacre in 2077.

The only ending that doesn't repeat those mistakes is the one where V decides to help/side with Hanako. This is the only one in which V does not repeats Johnny's 2020 path in 2077 showing that things truly have changed, that V did not succumb to/was influenced by Johnny's repartitioning of his brain.
In this ending you do not assault the tower, you do not get your friends killed, and you do not get innocents killed.
If you've also chosen to save Takemura you are provided with what is probably the most canonical ending if CDPR chooses to do a direct sequel.

You will leave your body. Arasaka will store your engram in Mikoshi until a way is found to transfer it to a new body.

Yet your phenotype, thanks to the chip, is unique. Arasaka cannot provide a suitable body at this time.
Unlike the other endings, and the Hellman Arasaka ending this one provides V with a more concrete promise of a new body.

The other endings are basically the player becoming Johnny and repeating the same mistakes Johnny made in 2020 with the player then being allowed to choose if they whish to go out in a blaze of glory (Rogue + V gets to keep body, Rogue/Nomad Johnny gets to keep the body) or die quietly surrounded by their loved ones and friends (Nomad + V gets to keep the body). "

I ll PASTE here something what a guy type. HAVE SPOILER, dont read if you dont finish the game

"The narrative has issues which are related to how it's built-up and it's pacing but not the endings.
The endings are actually good you simply misunderstood them.

There are two major narrative points introduced during the prologue.
  • The fate you are after through the question raised by Dex

• Will you become Johnny because of the chip or are you going to fight to remain your own self

And there is another one introduced just shortly after which is:

• Have things actually changed in the past 60 years, but more importantly are people even capable of change.

All the endings are a combination of these narrative choices to some extent.

There are 3 endings in which the player (an by that extent V) becomes Johnny to an extent regardless of who gets to keep the body in the end.

These are all the endings in which you assault the Araska HQ the Nomad one, the Rogue one and the "secret" one.

The assault of the Arasaka HQ is essentially a repeat of the events of 2020 when Johnny decided to assault the Araska HQ to settle a personal grievance getting some of his friends and a bunch of innocents killed.

If the player chooses to assault the Araska HQ the same thing happens, he gets his friends killed and innocents die, the bomb in 2020 and Alt's massacre in 2077.

The only ending that doesn't repeat those mistakes is the one where V decides to help/side with Hanako. This is the only one in which V does not repeats Johnny's 2020 path in 2077 showing that things truly have changed, that V did not succumb to/was influenced by Johnny's repartitioning of his brain.
In this ending you do not assault the tower, you do not get your friends killed, and you do not get innocents killed.
If you've also chosen to save Takemura you are provided with what is probably the most canonical ending if CDPR chooses to do a direct sequel.

Unlike the other endings, and the Hellman Arasaka ending this one provides V with a more concrete promise of a new body.

The other endings are basically the player becoming Johnny and repeating the same mistakes Johnny made in 2020 with the player then being allowed to choose if they whish to go out in a blaze of glory (Rogue + V gets to keep body, Rogue/Nomad Johnny gets to keep the body) or die quietly surrounded by their loved ones and friends (Nomad + V gets to keep the body). "

I know about the Arasaka ending. It's my choice of ending. But, any expansion adding to the ending will have to respect all choices, right?

I know about the Arasaka ending. It's my choice of ending. But, any expansion adding to the ending will have to respect all choices, right?

To me its the CD idea about the game. The sequences ll start from choices. I dont doubt about it...CD work well about, despiste some mistakes (in my point of view).

CDPR really did make it seem like nearly every choice you make could wildly alter the trajectory of the story. I was thinking in terms of major characters living or dying based on your choices, people playing significant or minor roles throughout your story based on how you speak to them, various questlines locking or unlocking based on how you handled a situation. While some of those things may be true to a minor extent, from what I can tell, all players seem to experience the same main story, for the most part.

You dont get "endings" based of questions, the majority is based of whether or not you did a relevant questline, the "secret" ending adds a combination of dialogue choices to johnny, thats all

If you dont do panams questline after helman, you dont get nomad ending

If you dont indulge johnnys sidequests, you dont get johnny/rogue or secret ending

Etc etc

These are not choices. These are simply rewards for playing content that should be part of the main quest

Guys don't be mad on me, but it seems to me that the most fleshed out mission is the "Pick Up" you can talk to Meredith, or not, you can hack chip or not, you can buy robot with your money or Militech, you can kill all or not.
When they showed this mission on gameplay trailer i thought this is just a tip of iceberg.

These are not choices. These are simply rewards for playing content that should be part of the main quest

You choose to do them and as a consequence new things opened up, you can easily not choose to do them if thats what you want.

In certain playthroughs Johnny annoys me so i choose not to do his side content and forge ahead, same with panam and same with judy, none of that content is relevant to getting the chip out, only to open up more "endings", having to complete it all every single time i made a new char would ultimately bore me to tears, as is atleast i have avenues and ways forward ontop of character customization and builds to make each character a bit different

Well, fake it 'till you make it... the game already made "best story of the year" lists, and it still sells, so yea, seams CDPR made it with the media at last, probably riding on their good name alone, since I highly doubt "professional" journalists put in the work to play through the game more then once (if even once) to see how railroaded this "great RPG story" actually is.

It's all fake, I would have thought by now Wakako would have a bounty on my head by killing so many Tiger Claw's but....nothing.

Just more lies.

No, these are not choices. I'm not making choices, I'm simply playing content in the game that I paid for.

What is choosing to do something but a choice? Regardless of how meaningfull it is it's still a choice, you choose to play the content when you didn't need to so you made a choice

You dont get "endings" based of questions, the majority is based of whether or not you did a relevant questline, the "secret" ending adds a combination of dialogue choices to johnny, thats all

If you dont do panams questline after helman, you dont get nomad ending

If you dont indulge johnnys sidequests, you dont get johnny/rogue or secret ending

Etc etc

But if you do the Johnny quest and Panam quest, do you get both endings?

That's a bit of an overstatement.
Never before seen on part of CDPR - which is why their rep is all but gone.

But No Mans Sky did that, so did Anthem... so "in gaming" (as a general statement) is a bit much. ;)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect, and plenty other well respected AAA games also boiled the ending down to one final choice made at the very end, completely ignoring the player choices made along the way. It is terrible every time, but looking at the titles mentioned here it seems pretty arbitrary on which titles we hold this against (well less arbitrary and more, has criticism of the game gone viral or not)

What is choosing to do something but a choice? Regardless of how meaningfull it is it's still a choice, you choose to play the content when you didn't need to so you made a choice

It's not a choice because it's not a choice that is made by V, it's a choice that is made by the player. It's metagame. V has no reason not to do Panam's side quests, for example. In order for this to be a choice, it has to be presented directly to V, in form of gameplay

It's not a choice because it's not a choice that is made by V, it's a choice that is made by the player. It's metagame. V has no reason not to do Panam's side quests, for example. In order for this to be a choice, it has to be presented directly to V, in form of gameplay

V has every reason, im currently playing a V who at the start of meeting Panam took a instant dislike to her, refused point blank to go after the Raffen for her petty revenge and then got the Helman job done an boasted without a backwards glance.

There V made a choice, refused to play along with revenge and then when she phoned asking for more help said no again, 2 choices in one arc, consequences are locks you out from both friendship and romance aswell as the nomad ending.

Of course i picked the choices, thats why its choices

Last edited:

Look about it this way.

Two players who want to 100% the game and choose completely different dialogue along the way will end at exactly the same point where they'll have to choose between 6 endings. That's all there is to it.

Would you call that choice, or the illusion of choice?

Look about it this way.

Two players who want to 100% the game and choose completely different dialogue along the way will end at exactly the same point where they'll have to choose between 6 endings. That's all there is to it.

Would you call that choice, or the illusion of choice?

Look at my last reply, you both would need to pick the same dialogue options to reach the same conclusion.

If you say yes and he says no, one has the ending and one doesnt

If you just copy/pasta each other ofc you'll get the same results.

Is everything meaningful and all so super game changing? No its not, but theres enough there for me to reroll each character and make them different from the last.

If you want to 100% the game be prepared to reload dialogue to see different outcomes, believe me when i say this that there is a shit ton of small details in dialogue/missions that give (although at times the same result) a different variation of that result.

Case in point, remember the shaddy ripper fingers?? Did you punch him or just talk? Punching locks you out of his inventory where you cant buy implants for your legs that make you jump higher but when you aim make you hoover in the air, very small detail but there all the same.

Did you do Judys side quests? Did you leave maiko alive or not? Ultimately no difference but theres small details in the result the dialogue and the follow up.

Now these small details and yes choices might not make a difference in the long run or to you but these small details is why i play these games, i love exploring them for that moment, if brief., difference it makes and i love how they can make each character seem different from the last even if ultimately there all just V with a chip stuck in there head

Top Bottom