#CountdownToTheDarkFuture - September: The 4th Corporate War!

+

Countdown090219.jpg

Like it or not, National governments are in charge because ultimately they wield the biggest stick; be it via the use of force or their ability to create and enforce laws.

Like it or not, National governments are in charge because ultimately they wield the biggest stick; be it via the use of force or their ability to create and enforce laws.

Mmm.. but bring private armies and multi-billion dollars worth of own currencies into the mix and you can't distinguish one from the other.

Mmm.. but bring private armies and multi-billion dollars worth of own currencies into the mix and you can't distinguish one from the other.
Sorta.

When it comes to force (i.e. police and military) ONLY a national government can "afford" to field one because Corps are ultimately all about the bottom line. Even with a nearly shattered economy taxes are a larger source of income then any Corp can ever manage.

YES!
Micro nations and those that are dirt poor may, and do, have less income then some regions/states/corps but those are the exception. A major nation (US, Russia, China, etc.) is in no danger of being outmatched by any corp when it comes to ultimate "authority"; I.E. "Do what we say or else".

When it comes to force (i.e. police and military) ONLY a national government can "afford" to field one because Corps are ultimately all about the bottom line. Even with a nearly shattered economy taxes are a larger source of income then any Corp can ever manage.

Probably. Not so much for someone like Arasaka though. They regularly lease their police force and even manage police activities in several large cities whithout actually requesting payment, instead opting for voting rights and influencing local policies and laws.

And it took something as modern and well trained and equipped as the Japanese Self Defence force to defeat the Arasaka para-military forces.

And it took something as modern and well trained and equipped as the Japanese Self Defence force to defeat the Arasaka para-military forces.
That's exactly my point.
A private/corporate "army" can certainly be a major player on the international scene. Why go to the trouble, expense, and vast amounts time (training, setting up command/logistic/communications.etc. systems) if you only need to "persuade" someone occasionally, hire mercenaries. But any major nation (Japan in your example) needs a standing army sufficient to protect itself and it's national interests. And a competent army ain't cheap and takes time.

Look at real world China, they REALLY want to be a major player on the high seas but it takes time and lots of money to build ships. And just having ships is fairly meaningless until you have trained crews to man them, it takes time and experience to generate a Chief Petty Officer or a competent Admiral. So you can maybe build a navy in 10-20 years, then it takes another 20 (minimum) to crew it with competent sailors.

No corp is going to invest that much for that long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom