Cybercop 2077: Police related side content - thoughts and discussions

+

Are you interested in such police related content?

• Total voters
OP will be updated soon to include semi-technical pointers about what features a mod should mind or cover.

The idea is to help future modders with a "product portfolio", assuming modding support will allow it. Why this early?

Well, there is also a very slim chance pointers in that regards might inspire the devs for a future DLC or game addition. Or the next game way in advance.

It sounds like you are dead-set on wanting to be a cop. I would never want to do that, but I absolutely think that if you want to have that as character stats then it should be a thing. I've read some things where cop class has been changed, but there is the guy from the first trailer...Soidunno.
If I were you, I would love to see some kind of forced solo work at first, while the city tries to hold together a police force. As you get closer to a full pledged position there are hints at the fact that the force is just owned by corps, so in desperation to actually do the right thing, you break off and start your own neighborhood watch gang or Max Tac.

It would be realllly cool to see some problems faced by the fact that people will be able to hit others in cars. It could be worked out by offering bounties for repeat offenders. They get marked somehow and the police get to hunt and/or kill with no consequences. This may be a more multiplayer type of thing, but could offer some reasons why it would be good to follow the rules in Night City.

And while a cop class may not be offered, the mentality would be good for teams. You should definitely build your character as a police officer just like I wanna build my character toward rockerboy status. It's not a class in 2077, but I'm going to get as close to it as possible in the single player. Especially in hopes for expansions and/or muliplayer being in the works.

Playing a cop in a Cyberpunk environment sounds amazing to me and while i know that won't be a possibility in Cyberpunk 2077 all the time i hope to see some detective style missions at least.

Playing a cop in a Cyberpunk environment sounds amazing to me and while i know that won't be a possibility in Cyberpunk 2077 all the time i hope to see some detective style missions at least.

That's the hope, as classic faction affiliations were dismissed: that the vanilla game (or a future DLC) allows you cop game play of sorts, deep enough so you might not be an actual beat cop or so, but notably more than a hired gun doing dirty work only to have them ignore you afterwards.

A mild sense of "belonging" should be there, just like you would feel after helping a gang or Corp long enough so you become pals, can hang out, enjoy perks, feel a connection.

The goal for this idea is to push something similar for NCPD (while peeking at public interest via vote).

I just think the environment for police related game play is perfect. It's a dark, dystopian, futuristic and gritty world. And such a role fits perfectly. I'm not necessarily talking about a "class" either. I look for seamless game play or certain police content woven into the existing char build or focus. Like doing side quests or side activities or just something you can do seamlessly, e. g. if you have a criminal record scanner. Scan anyone, detain or kill an get rewarded.

Tl;Dr: if there will be some leeway, compromise or sense of belonging (to NCPD or only a particular famous unit of it, you know who), I will be happy.

Of course I'd always prefer the full classic faction experience from a consumer perspective but it was ruled out. So we work from there.

So basically we can only hope for potential leeway in this direction from the devs. The rest they might consider adding via (dedicated) DLC or game addition later down the line, or modders have to bring us salvation. Also depends a bit on the devs, due to that likely requiring good modding support.

No pressure, devs / CDPR:ohstopit:

That's the hope, as classic faction affiliations were dismissed: that the vanilla game (or a future DLC) allows you cop game play of sorts, deep enough so you might not be an actual beat cop or so, but notably more than a hired gun doing dirty work only to have them ignore you afterwards.

A mild sense of "belonging" should be there, just like you would feel after helping a gang or Corp long enough so you become pals, can hang out, enjoy perks, feel a connection.

The goal for this idea is to push something similar for NCPD (while peeking at public interest via vote).

I just think the environment for police related game play is perfect. It's a dark, dystopian, futuristic and gritty world. And such a role fits perfectly. I'm not necessarily talking about a "class" either. I look for seamless game play or certain police content woven into the existing char build or focus. Like doing side quests or side activities or just something you can do seamlessly, e. g. if you have a criminal record scanner. Scan anyone, detain or kill an get rewarded.

Tl;Dr: if there will be some leeway, compromise or sense of belonging (to NCPD or only a particular famous unit of it, you know who), I will be happy.

Of course I'd always prefer the full classic faction experience from a consumer perspective but it was ruled out. So we work from there.

So basically we can only hope for potential leeway in this direction from the devs. The rest they might consider adding via (dedicated) DLC or game addition later down the line, or modders have to bring us salvation. Also depends a bit on the devs, due to that likely requiring good modding support.

No pressure, devs / CDPR:ohstopit:
I sincerely hope you get what you want. You've been campaigning for it longer than most people do. Best of luck. :cool:

I think the developers are going the merc-route, were V becomes a hired hand. So, being a merc for the police is possible

I don't think police would hire mercs, as much as they would post bounties. So bounty hunter is more likely scenario. Unless there is a cop story character that V befriends and helps.

I am almost 100% sure V doesn't get to be a cop. Based on the statement that "you cannot join factions". Besides, in Night city in particular, law is pretty flimsy. The city is defacto controlled by corps and criminal gangs to my knowledge. Wouldn't want to be a cop anyway. Even if it was Judge Dredd.

I'm all for more options, but I'd imagine it's far too late in the development cycle to work something like this into the story if it's not there already. Not certain, of course, but if I had to bet the farm, I'd probably bet not. Perhaps for an expansion, but I think it would be best held off on until a further sequel. (Just to ensure the mechanics don't feel shallow or half-baked.)

Thinking about what's here, I think the best way to handle it would be:

V is given the option of being deputized at some point -- early on in the story. That particular mission or string of missions is basically hand-in-hand with NCPD. Following the conclusion of that arc, V can either hand the badge back in (perhaps for a payout bonus)...or keep it and stay on as a deputy. Rather...unofficially. In other words, the player gets the badge to wave around, but there's nothing keeping them from abusing it throughout the rest of the game.

It might also be cool for "dirty cops" to be a pathway to the endgame. If V is part of the racketeering ring, then that could be a tie in to some big-league organized crime in NC. Rewards might be access to high-tier balck market goods and specialized cyberware. If V honors the police work, then that could result in some internal affairs missions to take down the faction blackening NCPD's name. Rewards could be formal induction into the NCPD ranks and the ability to call for backup during missions.

V gets on craiglist/fiverr and gets a job as a police officer, times are hard for the police of NC.

With everyone In love with V(including me <3), do you think there will be parts in the story that absolutely makes you hate her/your character? Like story arcs that really give you a feel for scumminess and your sitting back like damn....things are bad in NC...

V is given the option of being deputized at some point -- early on in the story.

Ah, perfect, "deputized" is actually a good and simple description and something I mentioned prior, but didn't find the right words for, hence me using "licensed agent" or any other description. "Deputized" kinda fits well, too. In a nutshell, a mini-plot or "cop lite" approach with a few perks in some situations or out on the street, but nothing heavy playing into major plot missions (maybe apart from the occasional remarks from or towards V).

I'm all for more options, but I'd imagine it's far too late in the development cycle to work something like this into the story if it's not there already. Not certain, of course, but if I had to bet the farm, I'd probably bet not. Perhaps for an expansion, but I think it would be best held off on until a further sequel. (Just to ensure the mechanics don't feel shallow or half-baked.)

I fear you are correct, if a lot of finishing touches are done now including proper finalization, and assuming that the game might release within about a year or 1,5 tops, we really can't expect major content overhauls. At least, that seems unlikely to me. So at this time I kinda already hope NCPD gameplay opportunities, missions, perks, etc. were considered for the current game idea or vision. If not and even if they suddenly wanted to implement this, I feel it could only be limited in comparison to tackling it early. I still wouldn't mind some kind of improved or deeper vigilante system like from GTA with perks and trust and it wouldn't necessarily require too many unique quests or mini-plots.

Otherwise, DLCs would be a better opportunity or, if nothing else including mods can help it, a follow-up game. But I'd heavily prefer post-release content additions or good mods over waiting for the next game :giveup:

Since it's only about 16 days till E3 I will hereby be very lazy and not apply the intended updates to the OP. Will do it afterwards. Who knows, maybe we get to see new NCPD content of any type in whatever they will show us in E3 this time?

I really look forward to it!

"Deputized" kinda fits well, too. In a nutshell, a mini-plot or "cop lite" approach with a few perks in some situations or out on the street, but nothing heavy playing into major plot missions (maybe apart from the occasional remarks from or towards V).

Yes -- precisely what I was thinking. Plus the cop "lite" status automatically creates the options of:
a.) Take the badge back and give me my eddies. (I don't like this playstyle after all.)
b.) I'll hang on to it. Call me again if you need me. (I want to be a cop.)
c.) Sure, I can use this. (I'll walk the line and use it to lean on people when I need to.)
d.) Oh...I can I definitely make use of this. (I'll be able to get away with murder now! [Receives a wink from one of the cops on the way out of the station.])

Either way, becoming a full-on, NCPD cop (with the uniform, military-grade gear, access to the police network, etc.) would be a late-game achievement. Vice versa, going dirty and getting access to the organized crime syndicates would also be late-game. Or the player could simply opt out of all of it.

...we really can't expect major content overhauls...

I really look forward to it!

Exactly. Everything-and-the-kitchen-sink is an ineffectual approach to take with a game, anyway. I am very confident that the gameplay and approach we get will be thrilling!

if nothing else including mods can help it, a follow-up game. But I'd heavily prefer post-release content additions or good mods over waiting for the next game :giveup:

Actually a follow up game would probably still won't you allow that, because after C2077 players will probably have C2077 related demands which will tales priority over C2020 ones.

Guest 4149880

Contract MAX-TAC. Let me get access to the weapons, gear, vehicles, skills and perks and take part of missions. Doesn't have to be the main story but it should a viable option to play as part of the police force.

Its really like other RPG/factions that you can join, rank up with their own set of side missions and goals apart from the main story or integrated into the story would be even cooler. Hell yes

I hope this will be an option for Trauma Team and many of the other factions. Not expecting it though.

Contract MAX-TAC. Let me get access to the weapons, gear, vehicles, skills and perks and take part of missions. Doesn't have to be the main story but it should a viable option to play as part of the police force.

Its really like other RPG/factions that you can join, rank up with their own set of side missions and goals apart from the main story or integrated into the story would be even cooler. Hell yes

I hope this will be an option for Trauma Team and many of the other factions. Not expecting it though.

I think the most or best we can hope for at this time (based on prior statements and implications) is bonus perks, side missions, trust, opportunities and access to areas, bases and gear in terms of faction interactions. With Meredith Stout(h?) we can be sure the corpos will be covered by that, even if no (big?) faction will be joinable in the classic sense.

I still think there's lots of leeway to make you feel like a member of a faction if you help them or build a rep with them through missions or other opportunities.

With basically modding support being postponed as topic to consider, ruled out classic joinable factions and it being unlikely that NCPD will play a huge plot relevant part of the game, the hope is that you can get in touch with them so far that you can get some nice leeway, missions and perks like access to gear.
And maybe friendlier greetings.

It's really downgraded to what this thread originally pushed for: a dedicated cop faction or career track.

But even that is totally fine and better than nothing. And ideally, optional. Not forced on players since it's mostly side quest stuff. No one forces you to join the White Glove Society in Fallout New Vegas, but if you want and if done right you can. Just an example :p

I'd "totally dig" some sort of deputized V or some kind of MAX-TAC reservist V. And if you want to be more like a thug or unaffiliated to police at all:

Hey it's all optional.

To anyone, please vote if you haven't already. We need good statistics to continuously assess interest regarding this topic.

So, little even though insignificant E3 update since it roughly fits the topic:

In the recent trailer from E3 at the beginning we see what could either be city police vehicles rushing to the scene of V's raid, or corporate police (if they cover that AV style, too).

In the short shootout we likely see corporate security or cops firing at V (guessing), in the next reference DeShawn literally speaks about corporate cops about to go nuts.

While this thread originally had NCPD (city police) in mind primarily, I guess corporate cop ties or "opportunities" for V would also be cool, if V isn't currently pissing off a Corp by stealing something.

More updates, also on this thread, in the near future or when the game play demo becomes available.

Hi to any new community members by the way.

I'd be all up for that - one of the sourcebooks released with CP2020 was Protect and Serve and it dealt with playing as a Cop. Its a good read and gives you a different perspective on Cops in the cyberpunk future. Most of them (though not all) are decent folk just trying to make a difference and protect their neighbourhoods even if those neighbourhoods are hostile to them, except when they become victims themselves and scream for protection.

So not only are the cops not well liked, but they are underpaid and badly resourced. Most gangs have better gear than your standard beat cop, which is why many go work as a corp cop, as they have all the gear they need.

And the other problem is that the corps are a law unto themselves and your average cop can't do anything about it, even if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Guest 4149880

I think being a mercenary fits into also being a bounty hunter for Corpos or Police in some form.

I don't see there being any permanence to siding with factions as they've said that function doesn't exist but in terms of taking jobs & bounties, ways to get paid and do the nitty gritty grunt work. And in return I would hope you get access to the extra perks, gear and further progression the more of an alliance you build with the groups one works with.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/06/18/cyberpunk-2077-ending-rewarding-complete-expansions/

During a recent interview with Prima Games, UI coordinator Alvin Liu discussed the ending of Cyberpunk 2077 without getting into spoilers territory as well as how the devs are looking into expansions. "We are talking about expansions in the future," Liu said. "We want to make sure everything's complete, but we also want to build open worlds. I know when I was playing The Witcher 3 and I finished everything, I still want to know what everyone was up to. I think we're going to have opportunities like that as well for Cyberpunk 2077."

Perhaps this is a mild positive sign for the idea at hand. I want to refer to the underlined part.

I also want to note that this is just a hope or suggestion for the devs (assuming the compromise* we aim for with this thread isn't part of the game at release) based on this underlined part.

Reading the article and judging the context it seems it has more to do with getting a complete ending or "conclusion" about many characters you will meet. That is good and appreciated over letting you hang in there indefinitely or with no real conclusion or progression past a main-plot.

But perhaps among the expansions, we do not just see progressing or finishing character arcs. In many games, expansions do just spin forth an existing story or introduce new stories, there is often a lot of new content. New areas, things to do, gear. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to check whether more opportunities for V can be introduced in such expansions, including "police work and perks" in a nutshell.

I personally realize some might really not consider this vital at all or that it might be a "losing battle" as Vs narrative focus or lack of solid faction affiliation may lie totally elsewhere, thus making this general idea here not even feasible at all. But one has to try, eh? If one would like to see certain things, one has to "fight" for it, at least mention them and not remain silent. Then you at least tried. At least we'll try to adapt the suggestions towards the narrative we get, because a compromise is more likely than insisting something that is completely out of the picture like a classic joinable police faction here. But room for compromise is there if you ask me.

Intended updates to OP and whatnot will likely either happen soon or perhaps when the gameplay demo is released and when more is known about the game.

*compromise / thread purpose recap: Basically instead of aiming for a classic joinable NCPD (or corpo police) faction you could join and "rank up" in, as was originally thought to be part of the game with classes including cop, after they revised it we now aim for a more seamless experience or loosely affiliated missions or perk opportunities allowing V to assist NCPD at times or gain something like "good ties" to the faction, that ideally result in a few perks down the line like soft powers, being cleared to utilize certain gear incl. clothes or dubious augmentations without slack, etc. The end goal is to cater to players who'd enjoy that type of gameplay.

Another sub-idea is to allow V to kind of become some kind of MAX-TAC volunteer (if that would be possible in the lore) giving you some kind of more specific optional police job without interfering with the main plot too much, as the missions that could be provided to you would focus on eliminating hard threats, not general policing or so. This can work in a radiant quest framework or capacity.

Top Bottom